Maybach SW38 Roadster by TinWizard

Jean B.

Re: Maybach SW38 Roadster by TinWizard

Post by Jean B. » Sun May 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Further steps with the radiator grille: The p/e template is sticked onto BMF foil, then cut out exactly

This foil sticked onto the grille with the help of soap water to adjust it accurately:

Then glued onto a wooden stick for airbrushing. The BMF will be removed then, the resulting blank will be photo-etched.

Another "problem": the headlights! TinWizard supplied the shape of headlights the car has today, but originally much longer (and bigger) headlights were mounted, so I have to create them newly. In Germany we say "you need not to invent the wheel again and again :) ", so I simply took the headlight with a matching shape and size of a brumm Bugatti T57 and casted this in red silicone:

Casted in white-metal:

Milled out and polished:

And the second one plus the central headlight (a little bit smaller):

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun May 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Those headlights look fantastic. Looking forward to the fknished radiator grill.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Tom wrote:Those headlights look fantastic. Looking forward to the fknished radiator grill.
It's difficult to paint them, as only a thin rim around should stay "chromed", the rest has to be painted... And today I've primed all parts, including the grill. Tuesday is my "day off", so we'll see on Wednesday how everything goes on...

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Not long to go now. I'm looking forward to seeing all the P-E trim get added to this after painting.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue May 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Jager wrote:Not long to go now. I'm looking forward to seeing all the P-E trim get added to this after painting.
Please have a little patience :o I'm afraid that those "last" steps will still take much time... I guess that's why I've chosen this hobby: to experience "waiting" and "patience" :roll:

And of course I couldn't wait until tomorrow to see how the first tires have turned out :lol: :

Let's say, I'm quite satisfied with the result :P The difficulty with this Maybach is that the rims are too big and according to the outside diameter of the tire it's flank is to narrow. These are the imponderables with model building, where you simply have to make the best of it... :)

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue May 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Jean, let me see if I understood: you molded the rims (resin), then you molded the tires (rubber?) and then you glued the tires on the rims and painted?
Luciano
:race_car: :checkered_flag: The Garage :checkered_flag: :race_car:

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue May 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Those tyres look great!

gilma

Post by gilma » Tue May 16, 2017 4:42 pm

I agree about the tires - looking excellent and so is the progress. Those headlights turned out great 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed May 17, 2017 12:16 pm

LUW wrote:Jean, let me see if I understood: you molded the rims (resin), then you molded the tires (rubber?) and then you glued the tires on the rims and painted?
Nooo, the rims were only casted in resin as a reserve for a future Maybach by Walldorf which hasn't got the approprate wheels by the manufacturer, so the resin rims don't have to do anything with the present car. For the wheel: 1. A blank tire was made on the lathe; 2. A thread profile was photo-etched; 3. This profile was casted in resin to have a flexible thread which can be rounded; 4. Two circle profiles for the flanks front/reserve were photo-etched; 5. The resin thread was glued around the blank tire, then the circle profiles were glued onto the flanks; 6. This completed "master" wheel was casted in resin (result to be seen below). All questions answered? :P
Tom wrote:Those tyres look great!
Thanks, below you can see a "preview", and I think the result is acceptable...
gilma wrote:I agree about the tires - looking excellent and so is the progress. Those headlights turned out great 8-)
Thank you, wait until the lenses are glued into... ;)

A second coating of primer has been applied, everything looks quite good now:

The steering wheel is glued together and primed:

Paper samples of the luggage (to control the size):

And the first tire, fitted to the rim, of course just for checking the adjustment:

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed May 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Holy mercaptans Jean, just buy the real one and save yourself some trouble :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Seriously though, I'm absolutely impressed Image.
Luciano

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Great work, interested to see how this will turn out. Probably very good, judging by your previous builds.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm

LUW wrote:Holy mercaptans Jean, just buy the real one and save yourself some trouble :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Seriously though, I'm absolutely impressed Image.
Of course I could buy the real one, as I am immensely rich 8-) , but this would not be the FUN :D
Tom wrote:Great work, interested to see how this will turn out. Probably very good, judging by your previous builds.
Thanks for your encouragement! I guess I need it... today I've started painting, and this always brings trouble with it! Although I've meanwhile painted model cars a hundred times, there are new complications with every new build... :roll: However, today I've painted the Maybach already twice in a dark grey:

(Sunshine makes it look quite light)

But that's not all: you remember my entry of this thread mentioning that the car seems to had been painted in a metallic shade, and so this dark grey will only be the foundation. Wish me luck!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm

As promised, today a bigger step in building this Maybach: The painting has been done! :P First the grey foundation was highly polished:

Then thin layers of AlClad "Titanium Gold" were applied and lightly polished, and now she shines in a deep, metallic grey-gold:

No idea if this was the original colour, but I fear we'll never know... At least different shades of gold were common with coachbuilders like Erdmann & Rossi, so I guess that this colour could be regarded as authentic. Today's work is done, tomorrow I'm going ahead :)

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri May 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Authentic or not, very suiting to the car.
Luciano

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Looks great!

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat May 20, 2017 5:45 am

That's a stunning colour. My only concern is all the photoetched trim won't show up as well as it might on say a black car.

David MG

Post by David MG » Sat May 20, 2017 8:38 am

Jager wrote:That's a stunning colour. My only concern is all the photoetched trim won't show up as well as it might on say a black car.
Subtle, that's wots required. Looking at the p/e parts too much glitter would be too much bling.
I trust Jean.
Cheers,
David

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat May 20, 2017 12:58 pm

LUW wrote:Authentic or not, very suiting to the car.
Tom wrote:Looks great!
Thank you, my friends! Especially making metallic paintings, is always some surprise :o , and I'm relieved if you confirm my decision :P
Jager wrote:That's a stunning colour. My only concern is all the photoetched trim won't show up as well as it might on say a black car.
David MG wrote:Subtle, that's wots required. Looking at the p/e parts too much glitter would be too much bling. I trust Jean.
Ian, under daylight the car looks darker, the halogen/LED lights bring out the golden/metallic effect much more. David, I think so, too. In it's full livery the car will force us to put on our sunglasses, anyway... 8-)

The radiator grille after having taken it's bath in natrium-persulfate:

Cleaned and testing the p/e mesh (do you see that the vertical rods are "laid over" the horizontal? :P ):

The luggage parts:

Folded:

...fits:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 pm

At the risk of repeating myself: wow.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:44 pm

:o

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat May 20, 2017 8:20 pm

I've never heard of natrium-persulfate before. You learn something new here everyday.

I love the luggage. I think you could go into business just selling these on eBay.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:58 am

You are a master modeller and also a master complicator (does this word exist in English?) the paper luggage looked quite right, but of course you had to model the real deal of metal.
Great job!! Waiting to see the final result. And yes, Ian is right, you could sell your P/E insignias, wheels, and other small parts beside luggage for others and get some funding :)
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun May 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Tom wrote:At the risk of repeating myself: wow.
Don't worry, I cannot here that often enough, being a dependant personality :lol:
reeft1 wrote::o
That's my reaction all day long...
Jager wrote:I've never heard of natrium-persulfate before. You learn something new here everyday. I love the luggage. I think you could go into business just selling these on eBay.
That's the etching solution for metal. Sounds dangerous, but it only reacts with metal, not with organic material - so from time to time I add some of that stuff to my bathing water... :mrgreen: (and if children read that thread: Don't do that at home!)
Paulius43 wrote:You are a master modeller and also a master complicator (does this word exist in English?) the paper luggage looked quite right, but of course you had to model the real deal of metal. Great job!! Waiting to see the final result. And yes, Ian is right, you could sell your P/E insignias, wheels, and other small parts beside luggage for others and get some funding :)
master complicator :lol: I think I will print that on a T-shirt! Nothing could describe my life better! And selling this stuff on ebay? Do you think this could be an alternative to blackmailing my neighbours? 8-)

Today I've made several neat & tiny works, not all to be photographed. But I want to show some important steps:

The interior gets coloured:

The first completed wheel (with "MM" hubcap):

And - tadaa - the radiator grille:

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Sun May 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Great work!