DKW F7 Meisterklasse by Walldorf

Jean B.

DKW F7 Meisterklasse by Walldorf

Postby Jean B. » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Christmas is coming nearer, and I am requested to make a small excursion of my "luxury collection" and to arrange some cars of the "Auto Union". So I've got this tiny DKW, one of the popular small cars in Germany of that time. I always love to get a 30 or 40 years old kit which is absolutely untouched, it's like a time travel... :P

The Walldorf models are often funny designed with the separate body halves, but generally I've seldom seen kits which are made more accurate :o :

Body parts glued together:

Front seats originally joined together...

... and now splitted:

Nicely chromed parts:

Before glueing together, a copy of the frames had been made for photo-etching interior window frames:

...which you can already see here, together with many other parts like dashboard, steering wheel and licence plates:

Tom

Re: DKW F7 Meisterklasse by Walldorf

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:44 pm

A subject I like very much, so another build I will follow closely. I used to have quite a few unbuilt Waldorf kits, but I sold them all in one go years sgo when I decided that I needed another lifespan to build them all...

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm subscribing to this one, Jean. Your threads are on my "must visit" list every time I drop into S143.com. Interesting, and charming, little car.

Ralf B.

Postby Ralf B. » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Jean, I wonder what sources you have for these beautiful old kits...

BTW: My grandfather had such a car after WWII and later always spoke of it as "Kleistermasse" :D
“It should have been me, driving that Dynaflow."

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:26 am

Tom wrote:A subject I like very much, so another build I will follow closely. I used to have quite a few unbuilt Waldorf kits, but I sold them all in one go years sgo when I decided that I needed another lifespan to build them all...

How cool would it be if one of your old kits ended up in Jean's hands after many years.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Tom wrote:A subject I like very much, so another build I will follow closely. I used to have quite a few unbuilt Waldorf kits, but I sold them all in one go years sgo when I decided that I needed another lifespan to build them all...
Jager wrote:How cool would it be if one of your old kits ended up in Jean's hands after many years.
I think I can understand, although you'd have to narcotize me to sell any of my kits :shock: I'm looking for the Walldorf Horch and Maybach, so if you sold these two as well, I'll wait for them coming up again sometimes... :)

Ozmac wrote:I'm subscribing to this one, Jean. Your threads are on my "must visit" list every time I drop into S143.com. Interesting, and charming, little car.
Nice to hear, thank you, I'm always afraid if it gets boring watching my attempts to build a model car... And yes, there are some nice little cars of that time, especially those with soft-tops...

Ralf B. wrote:Jean, I wonder what sources you have for these beautiful old kits... BTW: My grandfather had such a car after WWII and later always spoke of it as "Kleistermasse" :D
ebay, again and again :) , and most of the times much too expensive... :cry: Funny, the "Kleistermasse" :D - My grandfather - when returning from war prison - grabbed some scrap and motor parts and build a three-wheeled pick-up by his own, as there were no cars to buy after war and he had no money, even if. Unfortunately he left no photos of this car...

Having had a bad headache today, I only sprayed the primer:

Guess the next days I won't do very much, as I am busy with some other important things (not that important like model-building, but you know, sometimes some money has to be earned... :roll: )

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:18 pm

I feel for you with the headache, had to work through one myself today. The primered body looks quite clean already.

Ralf B.

Postby Ralf B. » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:38 pm

I totally agree, nothing as important as building/detailing and collecting.

But every now and then I also have to work to catch up with my role model ;)
“It should have been me, driving that Dynaflow."

gilma

Postby gilma » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:19 am

Looking forward to seeing this one, seems like a lovely little car (also on my collect wish list) :)

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Tom wrote:I feel for you with the headache, had to work through one myself today. The primered body looks quite clean already.
Hope you're o.k. today again... :)

Ralf B. wrote:I totally agree, nothing as important as building/detailing and collecting. But every now and then I also have to work to catch up with my role model ;)
:lol: I remember, in one episode Mr Burns drove an old Duesey, didn't he? And I can recognize the fabulous Auburn Cabin Speedster, at the moment on ebay in two versions for the bagatelle of 200 Euros... :o

gilma wrote:Looking forward to seeing this one, seems like a lovely little car (also on my collect wish list) :)
The Walldorf was available in two resp. three versions: the one I have open and closed and the "Convertible Coupé" without side window frames. At the moment I am in contact with a guy selling lots of old Walldorf kits, unfortunately he doesn't come along with photos, trading and so on. But if the DKW is included, I'll inform you!

Well, this was a colourful day:

The small parts in progress:

The first colour of the body, "desert yellow" - in real life much lighter:

Tom

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Excellent as usual. Like your choice of colour, it suits the car.

gilma

Postby gilma » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:43 pm

Jean B. wrote:The Walldorf was available in two resp. three versions: the one I have open and closed and the "Convertible Coupé" without side window frames. At the moment I am in contact with a guy selling lots of old Walldorf kits, unfortunately he doesn't come along with photos, trading and so on. But if the DKW is included, I'll inform you!

Thank you very much Jean, I appreciate it :) but I meant a regular diecast to collect. Unfortunatelly, I don't have the time nor the skills to try to build a kit, so for now I settle for enjoying your builds!

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Tom wrote:Excellent as usual. Like your choice of colour, it suits the car.
Thanks, below there is a better impression of the yellow shade. I found a picture of a restored car like this in this combination and found this a quite "happy" combination :)

gilma wrote:Unfortunatelly, I don't have the time nor the skills to try to build a kit, so for now I settle for enjoying your builds!
You're welcome! But what a pity, I always try to convince someone that model building is the best recipe for a better life :D

Meanwhile in a dark and damp dungeon, somewhere in the woods of south-western Berlin:

Final painting of the colour scheme:

I guess tomorrow clear painting will start.

Jager

Postby Jager » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Nice work Jean. You always make it sound so easy, but of course there is a lot of work behind the scenes.

Thanks once again for sharing your work with us.

Tom

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Starting to look good already!

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Jager wrote:Nice work Jean. You always make it sound so easy, but of course there is a lot of work behind the scenes. Thanks once again for sharing your work with us.
Well, one reason for moving my workshop from the kitchen to the cellar was that neighbours were scared because of my cursing :evil: - the neighbours on the other side of the street. To share my work with you all is a great pleasure for me, in "real life" I haven't met many people showing understanding for what I'm doing... :roll:

Tom wrote:Starting to look good already!
And here's the next step, clear coating is done, although the parts have still to be polished:

Hope you can recognize that only hood and fenders are glossy, the rest of the body is semi-matte to resemble synthetic leather, which was usual for some high-priced Bentley, Bugatti and Weymann-bodied cars, but very often for low-priced cars :)

And here we see lots of the small pieces, which also come together slowly:

gilma

Postby gilma » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Looking wonderful so far, and I really like that 2 tone color scheme 8-)

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Simply fantastic.

reeft1

Postby reeft1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Lovely work as always

Jager

Postby Jager » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:36 am

Is this one of your fastest builds Jean ? Amazing to think you only started this 8 - 9 days ago.

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37 pm

gilma wrote:Looking wonderful so far, and I really like that 2 tone color scheme 8-)
To do this was quite awful... :evil: In fact it is "4 tone": yellow matt and glossy, black matt and glossy, and all colours are abutting...

Tom wrote:Simply fantastic.
:oops: Wait for the final result...

reeft1 wrote:Lovely work as always
Lovely audience as always... ;)

Jager wrote:Is this one of your fastest builds Jean ? Amazing to think you only started this 8 - 9 days ago.
I've cheated :oops: When I had some waiting time during the last build, I already began with the DKW. But really, if you spend two or three hours a day, it's going pretty fast...

... and now it goes rather slow, missing some parts which have first to be photo-etched. But anyhow, the lacquered parts are polished, and the interior is going to get beige:

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Today some of the pesky detailings were finished :evil:

Dashboard (in natura made of red-brown bakelite, an early organic plastic):

This was the original part by Walldorf, very nicely made, but I wanted to have "real" gauges :)

The radiator shell, with DKW-badge and Auto-Union rings (including writing :D ):

Put on place, with knobs and gear lever:

And map pockets, pedalry and door handles, going through to the outside to fix the door openers there later:

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Your interior work is second to none. Also love the radiator logo.

Jager

Postby Jager » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:43 am

"Map pockets"......next you'll be downsizing some Michelin maps to 1:43 to put in the map pockets :D .

Return to “Handbuilts and White metal”