Marmon Sixteen by Brooklin

reeft1

Re: Marmon Sixteen by Brooklin

Post by reeft1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Crikey, another beaut

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:14 am

Having some internet problems, so I've been away for a while....I totally agree about using unique colors 8-)
Great paint job and great to see the progress so far :)

stewil

Post by stewil » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you for the tutorial Jean, Much appreciated. :)
May try the wooden dowel trick one of these days. Photoetching is a skill too far, will continue to use decals & clear epoxy lens or paint.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Tom wrote:My screen doesn't show any flaws in the paintwork... looks great! Also, love the dash.
Thanks god your screen doesn't show :o Perhaps I am my sharpest critic, but compared with my last models it's simply not so good :( But - well - I still have around 140 models before, perhaps I'll learn how to paint perfectly once in a time... :)
reeft1 wrote:Crikey, another beaut
Thanks! :P And thanks for learning a new term, they say "crikey" is Australian - great :D
gilma wrote:Having some internet problems, so I've been away for a while....I totally agree about using unique colors 8-) Great paint job and great to see the progress so far :)
Hi again and thanks! It's always difficult to keep the balance between authenticity and creativity :) On the other hand - most of the classic cars nowadays do not show their original colours anyway, but colours the owners think they were classic...
stewil wrote:Thank you for the tutorial Jean, Much appreciated. :) May try the wooden dowel trick one of these days. Photoetching is a skill too far, will continue to use decals & clear epoxy lens or paint.
You're welcome :P ! Before working with photo-etching, I made a lot with thermo transfer foil (available in chrome + gold). This can very simply be used with a (cheap) laminating machine from the stationary store (see for foil: https://www.amazon.de/Gold-Silber-Therm ... nsferfolie) and offers many possibilities for model building (let me know if you need further information or "how to").

Endspurt:

Rear window with frame:

Dashboard and rear mirror:

Wedding:

Now she stands on her own feet:

The mascot of the Marmon is not very exciting, but more streamlined. Brooklin did a good job, but...

...I think it's better to make a new one:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Wow, what an improvement! Now I can't wait for the final pics...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Tom wrote:Wow, what an improvement! Now I can't wait for the final pics...
...the same for me! I am everytime excited like a kid before X-mas :P

The door handles made by Brooklin are quite nice, but they made only a dull handle for the dicky seat, and so I decided to make a set of three Bauhaus-handles for the doors and the seat by myself:

1mm brass strip:

cut to shape:

galvanized:

The afternoon was cold and gray, and so most of the tinsel found its place:

Now only the resin parts are still missing: headlights, taillights and licence plates. They unfortunately need another two or three days for hardening, so I think I'll be back on Wednesday, stay tuned! :P

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Looks great Jean, though to be honest I was expecting that you were going to apply a 2-tone colour scheme. I'd be interested to see what this looked like with a black roof like the one below.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Wow, so close now! At least you can already see that it will look great...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 am

Jager wrote:Looks great Jean, though to be honest I was expecting that you were going to apply a 2-tone colour scheme. I'd be interested to see what this looked like with a black roof like the one below.
...and doesn't she look terrible with this colour scheme :shock: ? A little bit like the late Zsa Zsa Gabor... Being an art historian, it's important for me to study the lines and the intention of an object carefully, and many times, when looking at a car this way, you learn very much about how the design was meant to turn out. The Marmon at the first sight looks a little outdated, "late 20s", but when examining all the details, the clean and modern, almost "architectural" details of the design appear. The two-tone scheme shown fails considering that, especially concerning the contrasting roof, which clearly does not fit to the rest of the body. But please don't be sad, there are still so many cars in my collection which definitely will have a two-tone painting ;) !
Tom wrote:Wow, so close now! At least you can already see that it will look great...
And I was so excited awaiting this day, finishing the works on this "lilac goddess". And as often, the last works take much longer than expected, but perhaps it's just the excitement :o However, have a look at the last steps I made:

The resin-casted headlight-lenses and licence plates:

The yellow licence plates sprayed black:

Carefully scratched through and glued onto supporters:

The lenses and the milled-out headlights:

...and put together:

Small sticks glued into the headlight holders:

Everything in place:

Well, the works are done, please give me another couple of days for taking some professional photos :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Another fantastic result! I just love the way you make plates and lenses, the end result is very realistic.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 am

Tom wrote:Another fantastic result! I just love the way you make plates and lenses, the end result is very realistic.
Thank you! Perhaps I could have get rich if I had claimed a patent on these techniques in time ... 8-)

Weather was fine, and so I've already taken some photos of the Marmon:

Summit of the Kings, the only production V16s ever:

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 am

You tend to forget the size of these parts you make as they are very detailed. The headlight lenses are just superb with the fine detail. Another top class build.
On a side note, I do the like the colour scheme on the car Ian posted :D
Steve

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Simply fantastic.

gilma

Post by gilma » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Another great build :) I really like the unique color, and wonderful to see you using new techniques like making some parts from resin, really looks good, especially the headlights!

Hope you feel better after that little accident, and glad to see you're back in track :)

David MG

Post by David MG » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:57 am

Another beautiful masterpiece.
Cheers,
David

stewil

Post by stewil » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 am

Another beauty Jean, and I loved the V16 pair. Did you post pics of the Caddie? If so I missed it, what is it story?
And Thank You for sharing yet another reconstruction journey with us. Am looking forward to your next one. :D
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 pm

thetrooper wrote:You tend to forget the size of these parts you make as they are very detailed. The headlight lenses are just superb with the fine detail. Another top class build. On a side note, I do the like the colour scheme on the car Ian posted :D
Thank you, nice to hear! And yes, of course, different tastes keep the world fancy, don't they? :P
Tom wrote:Simply fantastic.
Thanks a lot! Happy to hearing that from the truest follower of my blogs :P
gilma wrote:Another great build :) I really like the unique color, and wonderful to see you using new techniques like making some parts from resin, really looks good, especially the headlights! Hope you feel better after that little accident, and glad to see you're back in track :)
Thank you! Choosing the colour took many nights, and this one was the most decent of the ones I had in mind! Meanwhile I hardly feel any remains of my injuries - beside being shocked about my new nose every time looking at a mirror ... :lol:
David MG wrote:Another beautiful masterpiece.
Thanks a lot. I was about twelve years old when I first heard about Marmon, at a time when there was no www to check up, so decades went by without knowing how a Marmon looked like. Finally I know :lol:
stewil wrote:Another beauty Jean, and I loved the V16 pair. Did you post pics of the Caddie? If so I missed it, what is it story? And Thank You for sharing yet another reconstruction journey with us. Am looking forward to your next one. :D
Glad to hearing that from the Grand Master! The Caddy I think should occur in any thread, don't know where, but surely in this section. The next one will be an old well-known, it's placed nearby the Packard on your latest pictures ;)

Another pairing, hard to believe that the steam ship of Duesenberg got along with only half of the cylinders of the Marmon. And yes, I do love all shades of lilac ;) :

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Wonderful build Jean

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:20 pm

reeft1 wrote:Wonderful build Jean
Thank you! And to slowly shut this thread, the "final picture" of the Marmon in her new home:

stewil

Post by stewil » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Jean,
Your comment about the straight 8 Dusey vs the V16 Marmon reminded that the Dusey essentially had a supercharged DHOC 4 Valve race engine of 320 HP. The Marmon on the other hand had an engine designed for smooth quiet power but I remembered little else,
so I did some research.
Another pairing, hard to believe that the steam ship of Duesenberg got along with only half of the cylinders of the Marmon. And yes, I do love all shades of lilac ;) :
Oh Boy, the Duesenberg might be a lump but a fast lump, and it is a Dusey after all :lol: .

Here is what I learned from Conceptcarz:
The Marmon Sixteen was produced for three years and about 200 were produced. The engine displaced 491 in³ (8.0 L) and produced 200 hp (149 kW). It was an all-aluminum design with steel cylinder liners, and that is about all. Speed?

And from Conceptcarz for the SJ Duesenberg:
Introduced in December of 1928, the J Duesenberg was unabashed overkill - massive, weighty, and of heroic proportion everywhere. The race-inspired straight-eight engine boasted twice the horsepower of its nearest American competitor. In 1932, when the 265 HP J was supercharged into the SJ, horsepower jumped to 320, the factory advertising 129 mph in top gear. The eight-cylinder 448 cubic-inch engine with the ram's head manifold produces approximately 400 horsepower at 5,000 RPM.
BTW - I have heard some of these these SJ's run, and they sound like race engines, especially upon start up.

Also checked out the Caddie on Wikipedia:
The 452 V16 Cadillac had a 3 in (76 mm) bore and a 4 in (100 mm) stroke, giving an engine displacement of 452 cubic inches (7.4 L). It was therefore known as the Series 452. Cadillac initially rated the engine at 165 bhp (123 kW).[1] It was capable of powering the heavier models to speeds in excess of 80 mph (130 km/h), and 100 mph (160 km/h) for some of the lighter examples.

PS, I believe that there are some models displayed on your magic shelf, that you have not posted reconstruction pictures of.
Might this be true?
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:18 pm

@Steve: Thanks for your extensive information about the Marmon and the Duesey! I have to admit that the design of these cars is much more important for me than the technique, but it's fascinating to read what these cars performed :o The cars on my "magic shelf" :lol: which weren't in any thread are mostly my first attempts in model building, not so very detailed... I think the ones I am making now are far more interesting... :)

stewil

Post by stewil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Jean, you said
The cars on my "magic shelf" :lol: which weren't in any thread are mostly my first attempts in model building, not so very detailed... I think the ones I am making now are far more interesting... :)
and I quite agree. Your newest redos are stunning and "Top O'the Heap" too IMHO.
Steve