PICS - Brooklin 1932 Packard Light Eight

stewil

PICS - Brooklin 1932 Packard Light Eight

Post by stewil » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:34 am

I saw a couple or three of the 1932 Packard Light Eights that John Roberts had modified and was reminded that I had one of those in the back corner of a display. His looked so much better than my stock example that I was no longer satisfied with it, so I used some BMF and mixed up some paint to match the dark brown of the model, and below is the result. This is the 1st model that I have detailed in about three years and after the hiatus it was fun to break my fast :D .

Thanks to John Roberts for the impetus to detail this old sweetheart, Brooklin number six. I hope you like it.
(John Robert is well known for his modifications of Brooklin models - sedan into a convertible or station wagon, repaints, etc.)

There it is, hiding in the corner. John also has modified the orange Hudson boat tail and one of these days I hope to do that one too.

Took it apart and on the bottom was this plate with a JS 77. I later learned what this meant. The JS 77 stands for Julian Stewart 1977 (pattern by Julian). Julian is reputed to have once said that he had seen too many pattern makers go uncredited for their work, so he saw to it that his initials appeared on every last model he had created. As far as I know he is still creating the masters for the white metal Durham models produced in Canada.

Tried to hand paint the contrasting stripes (behind top and below window), and decided my hand was no longer working very well, so I taped it prior to brush painting all of the brown striping, Old School :lol: besides, my airbrush is unavailable right now.

Then I built a shift lever out of a pin.

Added some clear epoxy to the lights which is so clear that you cannot tell, scraped the grill to expose the chrome, and

instrumented it with white paint, (decals were not available and I was too excited to finish).

and there she be,

happily.

Stripes on Packard should spark up the display case's corner.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

Tom

Re: PICS - Brooklin 1932 Packard Light Eight

Post by Tom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:15 pm

What an improvement! Looks to be a lot of fun to do.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Superb

stewil

Post by stewil » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Thank you for looking and for your comments Tom, Reeft1, and Gil.
Much appreciated. :D
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Simply amazing, that with only a few "turns of the wrist" such elegance can be created - the brown belt-line (seems as if you have found the exact shade) brings so much authenticity to the model! And I also love the old trick with the gear-lever made from a pin :D Handsome car, solid work on it, thanks for sharing!

stewil

Post by stewil » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:23 pm

and Thanks for looking and commenting Jean,
It was fun to play with this little car after noticing it's lack of POP on the shelf.
Have even started to detail another, a cool 1954 Mercury Woody which will hang out on the early '50's shelf. ;)

Glad to see and read that your nose is returning to a more normal size and you are back at work.
Steve