Cord L29 Boattail Speedster by MiniMarque 43

Jean B.

Cord L29 Boattail Speedster by MiniMarque 43

Post by Jean B. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:48 pm

No time to rest, the next project has already started. Santa Claus was very generous and so a model came to my collection which normally would have financially ruined me :o However, this wonderful speedster - reportedly owned by bombshell Jean Harlow - is so beautiful, I couldn't resist! The model is almost perfectly made, I really made up my mind for weeks if I should do anything with it, but - you know me so well - when examining the model again and again, the painful thoughts came into my head: a little retouche here, some new details there, this could be overdone and this as well... :roll: And so I decided to keep the painting, as it is simply wonderful! - and to re-do all the other parts. Feel invited! :P

The model as it came:

ImageThe dash is really weak :( , made only from a printed foil...

ImageRoof is nice, but too shiny

ImageLimited Edition "4 of 350", well, afterwards it will be "one of a kind" ;)

First step: disassembling

ImageThis was quite tricky, as the glued-in headlights kept upper and lower part together - one false move, and the headlights would have broken off

ImageThe dash is really cheap, especially in an open car! This will be replaced by a photo-etched part, together with an even finer steering wheel.

...which we already see here:

The wheels of course are very nice and fine, but only one of the four wheels looks like this:

...the other three like this one:

That wouldn't had been that dramatic, if MM43 wasn't so very solid to solder the wheel parts together, so that it was quite impossible to disassemble them. I really had to de-solder the parts, ruining the photo-etched spokes:

As you have already seen above, I immediately made new spokes, this time with some more spokes and the spokes "double-crossed" on two layers.

At this opportunity I also filed and polished the rims, newly made left, original one on the right:

Finally the new wheels look like this:

ImageNow with 12 instead of 8 spokes on each layer.

To be continued :P

DeadCanDanceR

Re: Cord L29 Boattail Speedster by MiniMarque 43

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Wonderful choice! :)
-Julio-

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm sure just changing the wheels will make a huge improvement.

The roof doesn't look too bad to me, though I think I'd b tempted to model it with the roof down to show off your new dash.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 pm

DeadCanDanceR wrote:Wonderful choice! :)
Nice to hear, I felt so insecure to spend so much money for a single model car! I couldn't even tell my family about... :oops:
Jager wrote:I'm sure just changing the wheels will make a huge improvement. The roof doesn't look too bad to me, though I think I'd b tempted to model it with the roof down to show off your new dash.
Of course I do love speedsters much more with open roof, mostly the roofs are only an alibi, but no contribution to the design, I think... But, however, when playing with my cars, the roofs are very important ("Oh, Miss Harlow's hairdo gets spoiled by the rain, I have to put up the roof! - Oh, the sun is shining again, now Miss Harlow wants to drive her car open..." :lol: )

Some of the works of today:

The frames on the door panels (hiding whiskey and cigars! :mrgreen: ) are more exactly photo-etched, so the original ones have to go:

Rear axle had to be fitted to avoid too much clearance:

Original brakes (in front) were too heavy and are replaced by photo-etched ones:

Rear lights were only painted light red:

...and are now filled up with dark red resin:

Window frame didn't fit very well:

... but now much better:

Grille was scratched out, but not very exactly. I only made one half (right one, photo left), perhaps you can see the difference:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 pm

You're moving quite quickly... though I suspect you were doing at least two models at the same time. I love the subject and your improvements so far, the wheels and dash are very impressive.

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Good job!

stewil

Post by stewil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi Jean,
You gave a hint of a car in my display as being next,
The next one will be an old well-known, it's placed nearby the Packard on your latest pictures ;)
and I was sure it would be the 1931 Hudson boat tail speedster, and - your choice just floored me. I love that Cord!
So I included some pics I took of it a few years ago at the ACD Museum.

OK, here is your challenge. Doing something about the louvers on the model. A simple black line might help hilight them?

Replicating those 1:1 wire wheels is another challenge

Wanted you to know that there was an earlier color in case you were not aware, and I agree that the biggest areas needing a fix are the wheels and the dash. All your photoetch enhancements will will make it even more special.

1931 Cord L29 Speedster, Jean Harlow; in the original colors, red/cream, CS-7C designed by Philip O. Wright in 1930, shown in Europe where it shortly “disappeared”. Could this be the car that started the "tear drop" fender design that led to the lovely French Curves of the later 30's? Are there cars that have a similar fender design prior to the 1929-30 design frame of this Cord?
Probably, but in my brief look I haven't located one. I do prefer the pale yellow of the replica to the tan of the original.

Just check out this 1932 Alfa's front fender design and compare to the Cord. The 1931 LeMans Alfa was quite different.
Also look at the fine detail of the Starter Kit's real 1/43rd scale wire wheels. I should finish this model sometime.

Another of the Cord with a young "driver".
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:49 am

@ Steve: Thanks for these information as well :P ! The ACD-Museum must be thrilling! I've seen the website a couple of years ago, and unfortunately I hate flying, but this art-déco temple with all these gorgeous cars - probably I would be fainting :oops: Thanks, too, for your nice pictures of the Cord! What a pity that the original car disappeared and only two (or three?) rebuilds exist today...

And this leads me to a difficult question, gentlemen, and I need your help and support:

At first I decided to keep the painting like it is, but meanwhile I'm not sure anymore, if I should repaint the model... :( I wanted to keep it because:

1.) it is flawless
2.) the egg-shape two-tone is difficult to make
3.) the acrylic primer is very, very (!) hard to remove

On the other hand:

1.) The primer and painting is quite thick (as always with white-metal models to hide the small irregularities of the casted parts), a new painting would be thinner
2.) The louvers could be made photo-etched to get sharper shadows (now it's clear, Steve, that's all your fault! :lol: )
3.) Of course no-one knows the exact original colours, but I think the MM43 red is very (too?) fiery, as the original red is described as "Chinese red" - and that means usually a more "creamy", but intensive mixture of red/orange/brown (Chinese lacquer is a traditional organic substance) . Also the yellow seems very bright (I think Steve's Cord is rather pale).

All comments are welcome and will be carefully considered :)

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:51 am

Blue and white ;) :lol:
Steve

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:45 pm

I would say repaint it so that you could improve the louvres and correct the colours.

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:08 pm

A brave, some might say rash choice! A beautiful car and my initial instincts would be leave well alone (but then I don't even remove my models from their bases in case I damage them!) but that dash needs improving and the wheels look far better. The louvres are weak and would definitely look better as photo etched parts. So, yeah, if I were you I'd go ahead with a full repaint. Being me I'll sit and wait for Matrix to model it!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks, guys, for your encouraging comments - and of course I did it and started removing the painting from the Cord :o

Here are three shades of red which are more suitable for "Chinese red":

Last moment of the original painting:

Bath in acetone (although this only removes the lacqer, not the primer):

And a first intermediate result after hard work to remove the primer (this f***ing mess doesn't react with anything, it's worse than concrete :evil: ):

It's the same as for all the old Western Models - first when the painting is removed, you recognize all the wonderful details of the body. They're always hidden under 1mm primer which is necessary to egalize all the small blemishes of white-metal castings...

And - something more beautiful for today - the new construction of passenger shell, steering wheel and steering column:

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm sure you can do a better job on the colours. Looking forward to the result.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:36 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I am in shock reading this thread, normally you work on kits or badly assembled ones, but now the original model was pretty good (no idea about the price but I imagine it was not cheap)? Of course now you will double the value with this fantastic improvement!!

By the way, beautiful car! Love the front end and headlights.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Tom wrote:I'm sure you can do a better job on the colours. Looking forward to the result.
...and so do I! But first we have to pass the deep valley of pain and despair with all the usual and necessary steps of building a model car. But - yeah - I guess I do need all this and it was a silly idea to keep the original painting :roll: . Believe it or not, it needed two full days to remove the lacquer from the Cord! The acrylic top coating could be removed quite easily, but the filling primer MiniMarque used is more durable than the white metal itself. I'd have needed hammer & chisel to get rid of this stuff! Neither acetone nor aggressive paint stripper made their job, even scratching with knives and files was hard work to remove grain by grain of the filler. However, now I can evaluate how fine and beautiful the bodywork is made, and which works are necessary to further enhance this jewel! For today I have only one photo, but - honestly - I'm quite proud that I've made it up to here:

Paulius43 wrote: :shock: :shock: I am in shock reading this thread, normally you work on kits or badly assembled ones, but now the original model was pretty good (no idea about the price but I imagine it was not cheap)? Of course now you will double the value with this fantastic improvement!! By the way, beautiful car! Love the front end and headlights.
Just reading your comment... Yes, I'm shocked, too, but that's the point with serial criminals, you cannot teach them, they're always repeating their evil doing... :twisted:

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

WIth the paint removed the louvres look much, much better. Without the thick paint maybe you don't even need to replace them with P/E.

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:46 pm

:o It is shocking seeing such a nice (and expensive) model being "deconstructed" . It's bit like when ancient artifacts are destroyed or classic cars are banger raced, the difference being of course that yours will rise again more beautiful than before! 8-) :)

Ralf B.

Post by Ralf B. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi Jean,

I was away from the hobby for quite a long time - personal reasons.

Just stepped in again and saw Mr Dauntless dismantling and stripping one of my Holy Grails...

On the other hand, when you're done I will be a happy man again

By the way: remember the tortoise?
Guess where it's parked now... ;)

Cheers
Ralf
“It should have been me, driving that Dynaflow."

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:15 am

Jager wrote:WIth the paint removed the louvres look much, much better. Without the thick paint maybe you don't even need to replace them with P/E.
That was my thought, too. Indeed it is very, very tricky to design these louvers, as they are curved and placed diagonal and are getting shorter from one end to the other... :roll: However, I am right now trying to catch this design and will decide then whether to keep it as it is or to replace - hopefully before milling off the original louvers... ;)
BertOne wrote::o It is shocking seeing such a nice (and expensive) model being "deconstructed" . It's bit like when ancient artifacts are destroyed or classic cars are banger raced, the difference being of course that yours will rise again more beautiful than before! 8-) :)
Guess why I needed so long to decide to strip the Cord... On the other hand, I always think that these models are not really pieces of art, but serially made with common handiwork & technique - that's a big difference to a real piece of art like the Mona Lisa, isn't it? I promise, I'll do everything to calm down your horror following this topic :D
Ralf B. wrote:Hi Jean, I was away from the hobby for quite a long time - personal reasons. Just stepped in again and saw Mr Dauntless dismantling and stripping one of my Holy Grails...

Welcome back, missed you! Yes, I did it again, my psychiatrist says a serious mental illness could never be cured entirely... :mrgreen:

On the other hand, when you're done I will be a happy man again

I'll do my very best!

By the way: remember the tortoise?
Guess where it's parked now... ;)

I guess somewhere around some old Dueseys, Packards and many more treasures... :P

Cheers
Ralf
But: I was not stingy, too! The one offered by RM Toys topped my assets, but look at this one, mady by AAM:

I am sure that this is exactly the same casting as by MiniMarque, beside the wheels. So, gonna make a race? :lol:

And tonight I'll continue with the Cord, stay tuned!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:18 pm

The works of today:

The screw holes in the lower body part were much too big, the two parts had too much clearance:

Now both holes front & back are narrowed by soldering so that the parts perfectly fit:

After having removed the thick paint, it became visible that the holes for the taillights are much too big, they're falling through:

Now tried a tricky solution: a smaller hole for the pin of the lights, a bigger "platform" to hold the stands of the lights, so that they are really upright:

The two body halves unfortunately leave a gap in the middle section, so that you can see through when looking exactly from the side. So I made some notches along the edges of the top halve and brushed the lower halve with vaseline:

Applying polyester putty on the edges of the top part and pressing the two halves together:

As soon as the putty hardens, cutting off the excess:

With this additional 0.5mm putty, the two halves fit together perfectly, without leaving any gap:

The hood has a deep "valley" where the screw cylinder is on the underside, plus a holey surface which was covered by the thick primer:

Centerline filed off, hood filled up with putty and filed completely even, over the whole length:

The ornament on the tail is a little bit too short and has a too thick end, therefore drilled some holes...

... and formed a "longer tail" with putty, filed off to "zero":

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm not familiar with MM prices, but apparently you've taken apart an expensive model... that takes guts. Then again, you've proved again and again that even very nice models can be turned into superb ones.
I love the way you use pictures of the real thing to improve every detail, no matter how small, to get closer to the 1:1.

Ralf B.

Post by Ralf B. » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Geez - still shivering imaging me doing such ambitious work on a "vintage" MM43...however, you're kind of KIng Midas in scale modelling, so this will turn into a gem for sure.

Beautiful LeBaron setting! Agree, that beautiful AAM model looks very much like the MM43 - and, no, I won't race - I'm built for comfort, not for speed. ;)

Very much relaxed
Ralf
“It should have been me, driving that Dynaflow."

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:57 am

I'm really pleased to see you addressed the gap in the body Jean. It was one of the first things I noticed in your original pictures of the car.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Tom wrote:I'm not familiar with MM prices, but apparently you've taken apart an expensive model... that takes guts. Then again, you've proved again and again that even very nice models can be turned into superb ones. I love the way you use pictures of the real thing to improve every detail, no matter how small, to get closer to the 1:1.
Well, the price for this one was simply absurd, but you know - when finding a 1930's fancy roadster, I'm loosing any shame... Regarding the authenticity, have a look below, there I'm showing the process :)
Ralf B. wrote:Geez - still shivering imaging me doing such ambitious work on a "vintage" MM43...however, you're kind of KIng Midas in scale modelling, so this will turn into a gem for sure. Beautiful LeBaron setting! Agree, that beautiful AAM model looks very much like the MM43 - and, no, I won't race - I'm built for comfort, not for speed. ;) Very much relaxed Ralf
The same for me, I was just kidding ;) The top speed I ever drove was during my Bugatti years: around 270 km/h - on a snow-covered country road :o Meanwhile I'm fainting when passing 130 km/h :oops:
Jager wrote:I'm really pleased to see you addressed the gap in the body Jean. It was one of the first things I noticed in your original pictures of the car.
I simply feared your comment, that's why I'm doing all this :D Yes, I hate these gaps, too... Unfortunately many of the models - independent from the price - show such gaps anywhere, but that's the fun with model building! :P

Designing the louvers (yet not sure, but I'll see how they turn out...):

Taking one of the few original photos and scale it down to the right size on the screen, then determining the main area of the louvers:

After having designed one louver, multplying and scaling them (22 pieces, as the original car has ;) ):

Finally making a reverse side:

The windshield frame lost the wipers, and it's nose is narrowed, to meet the central bonnet hinge:

Image[/url]

And mixing the colours: