Maybach SW38 Roadster by TinWizard

Jean B.

Maybach SW38 Roadster by TinWizard

Post by Jean B. » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:43 am

Hello again, mates, time to go ahead with my handbuilt collection! Meanwhile my dungeon workshop has been tidied up and the machines are mounted on a new workbench, a new radio had been bought and so only a bed is still missing there... ;) So I've already started with a new project, this time the magnificent roadster designed by Spohn Ravensburg on the chassis of a Maybach SW38 from 1938. The SW38 (SW for Schwingachswagen, that means no "rigid" rear axis anymore..., and 38 for 3.8 l displacement) was the "small" 6-cyl. Maybach after the great depression when the big "Zeppelin" with 12 cylinders wasn't desired by the public anymore. Maybach was very famous for its always modern technique and the impeccable quality of the cars. Most of the chassis were completed with bodyworks by Spohn in Ravensburg. The following roadster was one of the highlights in Berlin and Paris in 1938/39.

Two cars had been built, with different rear fenders and different windshields, both surviving until today. The one with the V-shield is the example for the model by TinWizard, unfortunately they copied the current version which is restored supremely, but suffers from many modifications... :? The original car with the V-windshield had at least two different paintings, presumably changed between the motor shows in Berlin in Paris. Here's the "plain dark" with light pin-striping along the reliefs:

...and here's the one without pin-striping and - I'm sure! - with a metallic-painting (have a look at the light reflections at the edges and the painted headlights!):

This version is the one I want to create on the TinWizard kit. That means that almost anything of the small parts has to be re-done :) ! But step by step. First we have the kit:

...unpacked (love that X-mas feeling :P ):

Photo-etched parts, but rightaway, none of the parts is really good, I'll make everything again:

Nicely made chassis:

...ridges have to be grinded and a real exhaust pipe mounted:

...lower body part:

...and upper part:

Exhaust pipe cut off:

...and a real tube fixed with a brass wire:

The kit looked excellent, but.... no single part fits to the other :twisted: I had to remove lots of the upper part, using pounds of putty, to make the two pieces matching! At this opportunity I created the relief on the lower edge of the rear wheel (TinWizard forgot this):

... the other side:

The ends of the louvers broadened:

The angled flanks are plain which a looks a little dull:

...now they have the correct concave shape:

Now we're foreseeing the elegance and beauty of this car:

The grille is much too small :evil: and has to be replaced completely:

TinWizard made the running boards very complicated, I simply close the gaps:

The persenning is too thick and doesn't fit very well:

First grinding and sanding the plain fond (it was a little bit convex):

Then cutting out some nickle silver sheet:

...ooops, I'm missing the next photos! Stay tuned, to be continued :P

Tom

Re: Maybach SW38 Roadster by TinWizard

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:53 am

Another build that I'll be following closely. Given your track record and the first steps this will be another cracker!

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 am

Can already see it parked up at the chateau.
Cheers,
David

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 am

Given the price of these kits, its amazing how poor they are. Who makes a kit where the grill doesn't fit ? Looking forward to seeing more progress.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 am

Wowzers! Image
I'm dyeing to see this finished.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:32 pm

Tom wrote:Another build that I'll be following closely. Given your track record and the first steps this will be another cracker!
Nice to hear! I'll do my verry best, although currently being clueless regarding the new radiator grille... Having tried new techniques with both metal and plexiglass (to be cast in white-metal then) I simply don't know how to proceed... :roll:
David MG wrote:Can already see it parked up at the chateau.
...together with the Horch Spezial Roadster, perhaps... ;)
Jager wrote:Given the price of these kits, its amazing how poor they are. Who makes a kit where the grill doesn't fit ? Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Well, this one costs € 65 - that's not so very much compared to others by TinWizard. And I guess the grille is one reason WHY... But I agree: The model maker MUST have it seen that the grille is far too small. I guess he wanted to make Feierabend ("end of today's work") in time... :evil:
LUW wrote:Wowzers! I'm dyeing to see this finished.
Dyeing or dying? ;) However, have a little patience and I'm happy to have you aboard :)

Continueing the last works, here we have the new persenning, thinner, better fitting and with the necessary lines engraved:

The spare wheel is too small for the cut-out (reminds me of the radiator grille...), let's see what we can do:

First applying a strip of double-sided adhesive tape right around and fixing the spare in the right position:

Then filling the gap around with polyester putty:

Then carefully removing the spare and the adhesive strip:

After grinding and sanding, the spare fits properly, and the distance caused by the adhesive tape makes sure that it will also fit after several paint coatings:

(Holes for the future tail-lights also have been drilled; TinWizard made the ones of the current version, but these actually only belong to the "sister chassis" 2055.)

I'm not sure yet, but perhaps I'll use the original tires by TinWizard instead of making new ones. As they are too big (contrary to the grille and the spare wheel...) I minimized the diameter and cut in some flank profile:

(left the overdone, right the original look)

The center of all parts of the wheels had been drilled out so that a 2.0mm brass tube connects all pieces to give the completed wheels rigidity:

That's all for today, tomorrow I'll be busy with boring money-earning :lol:, see you then!

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Another precision job. Love the way you made the spare wheel cover fit.

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Dye me astonished ;).
Outstanding work!
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:16 pm

More great work Jean. I was curious to see if you would use the original wheels or make your own since they are a such a distinctive feature of the model. Progress so far seems quite quick, but maybe that's an illusion.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Tom wrote:Another precision job. Love the way you made the spare wheel cover fit.
Thanks! Although afterwards, I wondered why I used double-sided adhesive tape. Normal tape would have done the same job. However, for me it's funny to try unusual techniques to achieve a certain result. I guess I made this already as a six-year-old boy... my parents were driven crazy by me using any kitchen device to tinker something I must have then... :D
LUW wrote:Dye me astonished ;). Outstanding work!
Thank you! But please wait until I'm ready, I'm always scared that something could go wrong and you would laugh at me ... :oops:
Jager wrote:More great work Jean. I was curious to see if you would use the original wheels or make your own since they are a such a distinctive feature of the model. Progress so far seems quite quick, but maybe that's an illusion.
Well, there's a theory that the first 80% of work are done in 20% of the time, and the remaining 20% work would need 80% of the time... :roll: First I indeed planned to make the wheels completely new, but I think that they are well made by TinWizard. Of course I'll make photo-etched hubcaps with MM-logo, and nicely painted I'm confident that the wheels will make a good impression :) .

Let's start with the radiator grille: A piece of 3.0mm nickle silver has been cut out roughly with a jeweler's saw:

This is a newly purchased "disc grinding machine", nice tool and very useful to get clean and straight edges:

Intermediate result:

"Shoulders" grinded into the shape (TinWizard did the grille without...):

And the completed and polished shape:

The cutouts for the photo-etched mask will be etched into massive grille (later...). This time I tried different techniques for making the grille, but finally I decided to do it the "classic" way, shaping it directly from massive metal. The alternative was to create the shape from plexiglass and cast it in white-metal, but as I only need one single piece, the amount of work would have been the same...

I really like to get the Maybach SW38 four-door convertible made by Walldorf once in a time... As I know that Walldorf supplied the kit with wrong wheels (they said that they couldn't get the ordered wheels by their supplier), I cast the wheel parts in resin to be sure to have the matching wheels, as long as I'll get the kit... :roll:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:08 pm

The grill looks a lot better even when it's unfinished.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Tom wrote:The grill looks a lot better even when it's unfinished.
Unfortunately many of the original grilles look quite bad, so I think this is going to be a "standard" work for the future... :)

Today's work are new bumpers. The ones by TinWizard show the current car's condition, but these bumpers are definitely not the original ones. First I made a "press" by milling a fugue into a piece of plexiglass. Fixing a strip of 0.2mm nickle silver on this, putting a polystyrol stick onto, and pressing altogether in a vice. Then curling the ends... (first photo showing a test with some scrap):

Ready bumper:

...and the "horns" for the front bumper (of course still to be galvanized)

The curled ends will be filled with a 1.0mm brass stick.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Bumper looks great, just like you'd expect on a car like this. Very clean job too.

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Did I already use the term "awesome" here?
Image The Garage

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Your ingenuity always amazes Jean.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am

Tom wrote:Bumper looks great, just like you'd expect on a car like this. Very clean job too.
Thank you, have a look below, I've made new horns for the front bumper (I wonder how few time I'd need for a build if I wouldn't have to do every single work two or three times... :? )
LUW wrote:Did I already use the term "awesome" here?
I don't know, but please be sparing with it, when I'm in a manic episode, this could have terrible consequences... :mrgreen:
Jager wrote:Your ingenuity always amazes Jean.
Thank you so much! I'm still following the plan to become a sort of "fine mechanical engineer" :D At the moment I'm hardly able to switch on my new lathe, but I'll never give up!

To finish the work from yesterday, here's the final result for the bumpers:

All brass parts are galvanized, glued together and clear-coated. Each horn will get a tiny MM-logo and the licence plate will find its place in between. Then I've started another crazy idea for the car, but I don't dare to publish this yet, so I'll increase some suspense for the future :P

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 am

It's a real pleasure for me to see the process as it is to see the final result. Thank you for sharing that with us Jean 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:56 pm

gilma wrote:It's a real pleasure for me to see the process as it is to see the final result. Thank you for sharing that with us Jean 8-)
Thank you! I'm happy about everyone who is interested in what I'm doing and it's a pleasure for me to share my tinkering jobs... :)

For today, I've started to plan the photo-etch parts. In addition, I removed the window lifters and door handles of the interior door panels and smoothened the dashboard:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:28 pm

PE is always an interesting stage in your builds, looking forward to this.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon May 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Tom wrote:PE is always an interesting stage in your builds, looking forward to this.
This time I've made a list first with all parts I want to make. I hope that I don't forget any parts as I've done before... :? Meanwhile I've about 50 different parts listed, I guess it's getting more and more from build to build :) Today we had labour day, and I followed that advice and spent the whole long weekend at the PC to design the PE parts, this is the result:

I tried to use the TinWizard parts as templates, but it's not worth the effort - I rather design any part completely new. Especially the "free-formed" parts like beltline, running boards and radiator mask are quite difficult to shape, but I hope I've got it :P These are about one third of the needed parts, so it will take some further time...

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon May 01, 2017 1:39 pm

:shock: Wow.

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Mon May 01, 2017 3:06 pm

How much work!
Congratulations!

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 01, 2017 7:54 pm

That's a lot of work Jean, but nothing lifts the quality of a model like a handful of photo etched parts.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Tom wrote::shock: Wow.
Thanks for your "wow" :P After hundreds of squares, circles and dots I'm unable to spell my name... to make such an amount of graphics is quite disturbing... :)
johann.nunweiller wrote:How much work! Congratulations!
Thank you! ...and yes, it is terribly much work! Meanwhile I'm quite familiar with InkScape, but especially the "free-formed" parts like running boards and radiator grille have to be printed out dozens of times and cut out to check if they have the right shape... :evil:
Jager wrote:That's a lot of work Jean, but nothing lifts the quality of a model like a handful of photo etched parts.
I remember when I started collecting, I thought about purchasing a photo-etch-device and said "well, it's not worth it, I would only need it for about five of my models with one or two parts each..." :lol: Meanwhile every single model gets 50 to 100 parts... :D

Almost finished, at least the designing part. Now all the parts must be arranged for films (I use both 0.1 and 0.2mm metal sheet for different parts), these to be made ready and then etching could start, I guess on Friday or Saturday: