Mercedes 540K Spezial Roadster by Western Models

Tom

Re: Mercedes 540K Spezial Roadster by Western Models

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Maybe replace the entire model with PE? :lol: Seriously, that looks impressive.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 pm

LUW wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:54 pm
The way you're going to town with pe I fear the next car won't be painted but wrapped in pe :D.
Crazy, isn't it? But what shall I do, the Merc Spezial Roadster is some kind of baroque and covered with chrome trim unlike any other car... :)
Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:03 pm
Maybe replace the entire model with PE? :lol: Seriously, that looks impressive.
You will laugh, but I already thought of etching parts for a scratch-built model. This way you could get precise parts with excact measurements which would have to be punched in shape then. Would be worth a test, I guess :)

Etching was made, but I fear I was a little bit careless today, because the result is not really satisfying :( The step of developing needs very much attention, and I think this was the mistake I made. This is a first impression of the dash with the gauges, but you can see that the deeper areas of the dash are crude and not smooth:

The steering wheel is o.k., but not perfect:

The center parts for the steering wheel are quite o.k:

The interior door panels are not perfect, but there's not so much to be seen in the completed model, so that I will leave them this way:

The window frames are surprisingly good, so that they do not need to be replaced:

Well, so I know now what I'll have to do tomorrow... :roll:

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 pm

I wasn't aware you could get 3D printing with pe :shock:. I thought you could only have a flat sheet of metal in the desired format.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 am

I don't really see Jean getting excited about 3d printed resin powders.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 pm

LUW wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 pm
I wasn't aware you could get 3D printing with pe :shock:. I thought you could only have a flat sheet of metal in the desired format.
Don't know exactly what you mean :?: Of course it is only a flat sheet, but the point of photo-etching is to etch different patterns from front and rear side, so that that you have differently relieved surfaces on both sides and holes or gaps where the sheet is etched from both sides. But meanwhile I'm indeed always trying to construct parts in a way that they are easily bent and put together to real 3D-objects, such as the luggage for the Maybach Roadster (you remember?) Have a look a my "photo-etching" thread (Tips & Techniques) or ask whatever you want, I'll try to describe anything :P
Jager wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 am
I don't really see Jean getting excited about 3d printed resin powders.
Well, I'm always interested in new techniques, especially in 3D-printing. But what I've seen so far, this is not yet useful for car model building. I know that TinWizard uses such resin printing for making masters (or at least parts of). And - once again - I'm spoiled by my Matchbox childhood: Model cars simply must be made of metal, that's all... :roll: :D

Finally I'm convinced with a new turn of photo-etching the remaining parts for the interior, so that I've prepared the parts for priming:

And here's a newly made dash on the gauges, which are already painted from the rear side:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 pm

That looks fantastic!

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Jean, that dashboard, for instance. How did you make the lips and contours of the dials? And for the door panels, how did you manage the grooves?
That's why I asked about 3D. In my mind you can only make a plain and flat sheet with pe - the process only cuts out the pattern for you.
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Jean, its reassuring to know that even a master like yourself doesn't always the PE right the first time. The revisions look much better.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 pm
That looks fantastic!
Thanks! It's terrible, when the photos are enlarged on screen, you really see smallest spots and whatsoever, what cannot be seen in "real life". On the other side, this pushes me to work very carefully... ;)
LUW wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm
Jean, that dashboard, for instance. How did you make the lips and contours of the dials? And for the door panels, how did you manage the grooves? That's why I asked about 3D. In my mind you can only make a plain and flat sheet with pe - the process only cuts out the pattern for you.
Please have a look here: http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=47& ... 37#p343737
Jager wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 pm
Jean, its reassuring to know that even a master like yourself doesn't always the PE right the first time. The revisions look much better.
In German it's called "betriebsblind" when making a work a hundred times and then failing, because you make everything automatically and do not pay attention to important things as you trust in your experience... Meanwhile I found out the mistakes I've made (although knowing how to make it right) and hope for proper results in future! (It's annoying to waste the metal sheet as it costs some bucks... :evil: )

Interior parts were primed...:

...and painted:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 pm
That looks fantastic!
Thanks! It's terrible, when the photos are enlarged on screen, you really see smallest spots and whatsoever, what cannot be seen in "real life". On the other side, this pushes me to work very carefully... ;)
LUW wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm
Jean, that dashboard, for instance. How did you make the lips and contours of the dials? And for the door panels, how did you manage the grooves? That's why I asked about 3D. In my mind you can only make a plain and flat sheet with pe - the process only cuts out the pattern for you.
Please have a look here: http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=47& ... 37#p343737
Jager wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 pm
In German it's called "betriebsblind" when making a work a hundred times and then failing, because you make everything automatically and do not pay attention to important things as you trust in your experience... Meanwhile I found out the mistakes I've made (although knowing how to make it right) and hope for proper results in future! (It's annoying to waste the metal sheet as it costs some bucks... :evil: )

Interior parts were primed...:

...and painted:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm

After painting matte, the interior parts were airbrushed with clear cote semi-matte from AlClad. This is very easy to airbrush, dries in minutes and gives a very fine silky surface. The surroundings of the gauges were covered with Maskol, this removed after painting and this area painted with pearl-white lacquer:

On some photos this dashboard part is referred to be made of mother of pearl, but that's not true. In fact it is made of acetate, an early duroplast (plastic) with a kind of 3D gleaming and sparkling. This stuff was often used for arts & crafts and is today used for pens and glasses. I have some patterns of vintage productions of this wonderful material (unfortunately not to use for this model):

Then the decoration was applied to the door panels:

And the first (black) steering wheel is brought into shape:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm

I cannot think of anything but 'wow!' :o

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Damn! :shock:
Image The Garage

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm
I cannot think of anything but 'wow!' :o
Nice to hear :) You won't believe how much time it costs to make the simpliest works... Today I've had so many steps on my schedule, and after having worked hours by hours, only the following things were accomplished. Sometimes it's a little bit frustrating :?
LUW wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 pm
Damn! :shock:
Well, that's what I thought today when applying the belt lines to the body, but in a quite different way :x To do this without spreading the glue over the paint is hardly impossible. At the end I used so-called transfer glue, a thin glue film on a protecting paper, but I don't know yet if it really holds forever...

The dashboards slowly come together:

And tomorrow... tomorrow everything will be better... :P

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Those dashboards look amazing. Fantastic job.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 am

I'm still in awe of your interior window winders several pictures earlier :o .

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 pm
Those dashboards look amazing. Fantastic job.
Thanks! I have to admit, I'm a little bit proud on these... :oops:
Jager wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 am
I'm still in awe of your interior window winders several pictures earlier :o .
Well, I "invented" those winders a year ago. The base is - of course - photo-etched, the knob is a piece of a 1.00mm brass tube, galvanized and stuck onto the upward bent end of the p/e part. Hope I could explain...

Making the windows from 0.15mm glass (for microscopes):

cutting with the p/e template into shape:

Glueing into the cutout (the extended bottom end allows to glue without damaging the fine frame around the window):

And completing the "sandwiches" with the interior door panels:

The steering wheels are almost ready, beside the Mercedes star on the centre (will be quite tricky with a diameter of 1.3mm...):

And the dashboards were backed with polystyrol for mounting and got some switches and control lights:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Your interiors really are amazing. Evrn the dash instruments have real depth and those doors are fantastic.

gilma

Post by gilma » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:55 am

Wow, what wonderful details :) The door panels (and the whole final door), the steering wheel and the dashboard, very impressive! Your high standards Jean, go even higher (if that's possible...) in this (these) model (s). Real pleasure to see and hard to imagine for me how you do these little details like knobs and handles etc.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm
Your interiors really are amazing. Evrn the dash instruments have real depth and those doors are fantastic.
The instruments are made in the style of "Hinterglasmalerei" (behind-glass-painting), that means I print the gauges mirrored on transparent foil and airbrush the printed side then. This way the the sequence of what you see is: 1.) clear foil; 2.) black printing; 3.) coloured background. This leads to the slight "3D-effect" :P
gilma wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:55 am
Wow, what wonderful details :) The door panels (and the whole final door), the steering wheel and the dashboard, very impressive! Your high standards Jean, go even higher (if that's possible...) in this (these) model (s). Real pleasure to see and hard to imagine for me how you do these little details like knobs and handles etc.
Thank you! Well, I'll shock you once more if I tell you that most of these works I do without glasses or magnifying glass, just "by hearing" :D Sometimes I wonder myself how I'm doing all this, but in the end I'm glad if most of the plans work and others - like you - also like what I'm doing! This project - the two Mercs Spezial Roadster - are indeed the most ambitious project I've made so far. Not actually the details themselves, but the amount of "scratch-building" and doing this for two cars at the same time. Wish me luck that I'll manage the future works, too... :)

The interior with pedalry, gear lever and handbrake is completed:

Door panels with windows are mounted:

And the steering wheel:

(all this took about six hours today... :roll: )

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm

I can easily believe that. The results are utterly amazing.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm

brilliant

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm

That definitively looks like leather! Awesome!
Image The Garage

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Look at that interior, it's amazing!
One day I will dedicate myself to build a jewel like that. Inspiring work!