Post by Jager » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm really liking that silver version.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Re: Mercedes 540K Spezial Roadster by Western Models

Post by Jean B. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm
I can easily believe that. The results are utterly amazing.
Thanks! Finally I'm dedicating my life to model building, so I have to admit I love doing this all day long... :D
reeft1 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm
brilliant
Thanks a lot! :P
LUW wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm
That definitively looks like leather! Awesome!
Honestly, that was coincidentally, not planned... :oops: But now I know how to achieve that effect... :P
Serafa wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm
Look at that interior, it's amazing! One day I will dedicate myself to build a jewel like that. Inspiring work!
Thank you - and please JUST DO IT :D
Jager wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 pm
I'm really liking that silver version.
Very elegant, isn't it? Brings a bit of Cote d'azur to Germany... :)

Today some minor works were done, for example the interior for the green one:

And the next film design for photo-etching, as I urgently need the louver mesh for going on with assembly:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Hope you didn't miss me... Tuesdays I have to earn the money I'm spending for model building :D , and yesterday I was busy with rebooting the PC with a new operating system. Today I finally continued with photo-etching, but before making the necessary sheet, I had to to also "reboot" my method of etching :roll: I already told that I had different problems in the last weeks with doing this, and so I made several tests and protocols to find out what's going wrong and how to improve it. Meanwhile I'm confident that everything will work again, and here's the latest result:

ImageAlmost perfect! It's 0.1mm sheet, the lines for the meshes are 0.14mm wide, the holes about 0.15mm.

These are the already made bases for the louvers in 0.2mm sheet, the intakes painted black:

The meshes glued onto the bases:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:59 pm

As usual, fantastic work! And you know what these parts all do, so it must be even better for you...

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm
Hope you didn't miss me... Tuesdays I have to earn the money I'm spending for model building :D
I'm curious what you do in your day job Jean. Does it relate in any way to the amazing work you show us here ?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:59 pm
As usual, fantastic work! And you know what these parts all do, so it must be even better for you...
However, I really thought I'd unlearned photo-etching :shock: But I have to say that most of the steps were made by intuition, so yesterday I made solid tests for the first time, and that revealed that I've had much luck the past years, but that I could do better... :)
Jager wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:45 pm
I'm curious what you do in your day job Jean. Does it relate in any way to the amazing work you show us here ?
Actually not really, so during the week I give some sessions as psychoanalyst, but not so many due to complicated regulations in Germany concerning health insurances and so on. Tuesdays I always give two classes in clinical psychology for beginners and person-centered psychotherapy for experienced. Most of the time I look after house & garden and trying to build some nice model cars, as you already know. Meanwhile I learned that there are both psychoanalysts and psychiatry patients who often are deeply involved in car model building, I guess that these subjects are related in a deeper way... :roll:

The louvers were first fixed with tape and then cut out of the frames to keep them arranged:

Then glued onto the body:

...and the tape removed:

A glimpse on things to come:

Compressor and exhaust pipes bridged over with some glue:

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Masterpice! But I still think the green one is the nicest.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Wow, it's getting exciting now that it starts to look like a car...

Ralf B.

Post by Ralf B. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Just came back from a business trip and had a glimpse at the forum...
Triple WOW for your MB outcome, Jean!
Love silver/red combinations when they suit a car. I once found a MM43 1930 Cord convertible in that livery and sold my other Cord converts...
Eager to see the progress :)
“It should have been me, driving that Dynaflow."

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm
Meanwhile I learned that there are both psychoanalysts and psychiatry patients who often are deeply involved in car model building, I guess that these subjects are related in a deeper way... :roll:
Yes, I think most of us should be declared insane for our love of little cars ! At least we are not alone here.

Looking forward to seeing the last few steps as these come together.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:58 pm

LUW wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm
Masterpice! But I still think the green one is the nicest.
I guess it's the "refreshing" look of this car, far away from the usual paintings. I'm glad that I found those vintage sketches, so I dared to paint the car that way. In other cases I always think of using unusual colours, but in the end I'm not brave enough to do it...
Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 pm
Wow, it's getting exciting now that it starts to look like a car...
Yes, it's exciting for me, too! When you tinker weeks and months you think that you won't make it once in a lifetime... :roll: So now I'm "over the top", at least with one car, but there's still so much to do...
Ralf B. wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:41 pm
Just came back from a business trip and had a glimpse at the forum... Triple WOW for your MB outcome, Jean! Love silver/red combinations when they suit a car. I once found a MM43 1930 Cord convertible in that livery and sold my other Cord converts... Eager to see the progress :)
I can imagine...! Once you'll have a new photo-server, you should post a picture of the Cord. I'm curious how the MBs come out when photographed under daylight. On my workbench, under LED and halogen lights it looks already quite striking...
Jager wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 pm
Yes, I think most of us should be declared insane for our love of little cars ! At least we are not alone here. Looking forward to seeing the last few steps as these come together.
I remember when a buddy of mine mentioned that he wouldn't know what to do with a toy car, he only wanted to drive an old car. The conversation ended quite soon... :roll: And as for the "last few steps": ROFL :lol: I fear that with this weekend I've done half of the works in total! There are still so many things to design and to build, that I already think of the Mercs being a Xmas present!

Finally the first one stands on its own feet:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:26 pm

The grey makes the beautiful shape of the car come out well. I was leaning towards the green but I'm now warming up to the grey as well.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Nah, the green one is best.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

wkennerley

Post by wkennerley » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 am

Wow stunning rebuilds, cant wait to see old and new photos alongside to compare

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:26 pm
The grey makes the beautiful shape of the car come out well. I was leaning towards the green but I'm now warming up to the grey as well.
LUW wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:55 pm
Nah, the green one is best.
Don't argue about the colour! It reminds me on the finale of Disney's Sleeping beauty, when the fairies couldn't agree about the princess' dress whether it should be pink or blue... :lol: Let's make a poll when the two roadsters are ready :P
wkennerley wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 am
Wow stunning rebuilds, cant wait to see old and new photos alongside to compare
Thanks! The "comparing" will take some further weeks, as there are still lots of work to do (windshield, chrome trim, headlights, bumpers and so on) and as I'm preparing my annual vacation, so that model building will be paused for some weeks...

Meanwhile the green one comes into shape, too, and after a "rollover" yesterday which resulted in a broken window (after glue had dried...) and learning that the prepared compressor pipes didn't fit, I really thought about committing suicide. I already sat on the windowsill, but jumping off the cellar wouldn't work, I gues... :roll: Well, now everything is made over, and I hope the result will be satisfying:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Sensational. Epic shape, wonderful work.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm
Sensational. Epic shape, wonderful work.
Thank you :P ! And indeed, it's a timeless beauty and a real icon for Mercedes until today. That was confirmed when I recently saw pictures of the latest Mercedes study "Maybach 6 Roadster", which shows proportions and details which are obviously an hommage to the Spezial Roadster, of course lacking its artisanal character...

Today I've made the radiator grilles. First the white-metal casted grilles were polished and clear-coated:

Then BMF was coated with AlClad "Flat":

The photo-etched mesh carefully glued onto the BMF:

Cut out:

And sticked onto the base, together with the small "star" badges:

Mounted to the cars:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Those radiator grilles are pure works of art.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Can't wait to see the final result!

I thought I was going to find the green one better, but the silver with red wheels does look even more awesome.

gilma

Post by gilma » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 am

Great to see all the wonderful details coming together, and I'm so glad you chose to do 2 cars, they just look great together 8-)

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:24 am

Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm
Couldnt agree more

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm
reeft1 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:24 am
Couldnt agree more
Very kind, glad to hear that :P ! Meanwhile I trust myself to create new radiators. When starting model building four years ago, I always was frightened when buying an old model without radiator grille... :o Now I'm quite sure to be able to replace them in an adequate manner... :)
Serafa wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 pm
Can't wait to see the final result! I thought I was going to find the green one better, but the silver with red wheels does look even more awesome.
As already said, I'll make a poll at the end of this project :D - But I fear it will take some more time, as I'm taking my summer vacation soon :P
gilma wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 am
Great to see all the wonderful details coming together, and I'm so glad you chose to do 2 cars, they just look great together 8-)
Double work, but double pleasure, I guess! Originally I planned to collect only one model of a type, but meanwhile - the collector's fate :roll: - I regularly buy two or three models of one type to be able to show the variations of those gems...

Today the next turn of photo-etching was planned, this time with 0.5mm sheet for the center pillar of the windshield:

...and the front and rear bumpers:

Image[/url]

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:08 pm

I shall bore you again with telling you how impressed I am with your work. I show your threads to people who don't collect models and they are always shocked and certainly don't see them as toys like some people when you mention collecting models.
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm

thetrooper wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:08 pm
I shall bore you again with telling you how impressed I am with your work. I show your threads to people who don't collect models and they are always shocked and certainly don't see them as toys like some people when you mention collecting models.
Boring me? - Not at all, it's an honour to hearing that from you :P, thank you! Well, it seems as if we're on a mission to convince others from the beauty of collecting and building model cars, aren't we? Some time ago I've started to write down some essays about the deeper sense and history of miniatures and collecting, hoping that sometimes a small book will develop which could be of interest not only for collectors, but for anyone else as well... :)

Today photo-etching was made, with an excellent result:

Central window pillars mounted:

Bumpers as etched:

Starting bending them into shape:

Using ordinary pins for the ends:

Ready: