Hello from Brazil

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
LUW

Hello from Brazil

Post by LUW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:42 am

Hi guys! 8-)

I'm from Brazil and maybe some here may remember me from my site (Mini.Werner) or maybe from the beginning of DX, where I was a moderator there for a few years, but that's about 10 years ago. Back then I collected only 1:18, and had a quite large collection, but space became an issue in my old house. And more seriously, that house was really humid, and a couple of my older models were starting to show signs of diecast rot. The fear of seeing my beloved cars rot and the fact that I didn't have any more room to store cars made me decide to stop collecting. Of the over 250 cars that I had, I sold or gifted everything except for a few that were special to me, and officially walked out of the diecast business.

I got back into cycling, my daughter was born (I already had a boy), I got into Lego, and life went on. A few years ago we built a new house, and I finally had enough space for the collections and bicycles (currently 4, not counting the kids' and wife's bikes), even with a decent tool shop. And NO humidity problems. But then my PS3 gave up the ghost. Sometime last year my PS3 evolved into something that only worked as a paper weight, so I upgraded to a XBox One. As all gamers know, all my games became useless, so I had to start a gaming library from scratch. Bought the obligatory Titanfall (meh), Fallout 4 (awesome) and Destiny (awesome), and since I haven't had a decent racing game since GT 4 on my old PS2, I thought "What the hey, let's try Forza 6". And that's when the problem started...

The darn game let's you race in La Sarthe, and you can even choose the Mulsanne with or without the chicanes :D. And you can use a LOT of modern and vintage "LM cars", like the Peugeot 905 or Porsche 956 or Ford GT, to cite a few. I always l-o-v-e-d Le Mans, and it was one of the focal points of my 1:18 collection, and racing those cars in the game (the graphics are absolutely friggintastic!) got me looking at diecast again "just out of curiosity" :shock:.

With age you end up learning with your mistakes, and since 1:18 are still big, they were out. So I started looking at 1:43, and remembered something I already knew back in my 1:18 days: you can get ANYTHING in 1:43! I bet you can find all cars that ever raced at La Sarthe, and a lot of them even from more then one manufacturer (with different detail level and price). So specially for Le Mans, my collecting horizons would be very broad, and with the huge variety of models available I can even be picky, and reject a model if it's not to my liking in terms of detail or if it's not very historically important. For someone who came from 1:18, that's absolutely terrific, because those two aspects are nonexistent in 1:18 due to the oh so slim pickings. So add the humongous quantity of offerings to much cheaper prices and smaller size and you have the perfect collection.

One thing led to the other and here I am, already with a few cars and planning on buying a dedicated display cabinet next week :P.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Re: Hello from Brazil

Post by Jager » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:07 am

Welcome Luciano, great to have another Le Mans collector on the forum.

As a serious Le Mans collector (1,400 cars) the problem can be there is just TOO much choice in 1:43 and the models are getting better an better all the time. About 15 years ago I started of aiming to just collect the winners, but soon expanded to 3 cars per race. 3 per race soon became 5 per race, then when I installed larger cabinets I had the room for 8 per race. Then I thought "I'll get a few more and rotate them", and now I'm here.

Here's a couple of my Le Mans threads you might enjoy to get you started :

http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10667

http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9768
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:36 am

Welcome to the forum Luciano
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:17 am

Welcome Luciano. There are plenty of LM fans in here.
Cheers,
David

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:12 am

Welcome to S143, let us feed your addiction! :lol:

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:36 am

Welcome.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:10 am

Holy Mercapatanes .....it cant be him....tell me it isnt him........oh crap , it is him isn`t it ? Image

Who the hell let him in here ? I paid a lot of money to the Departamento de Policia Federal to keep this guy incarcerated but they have still let him out.
I thought he was gone for good , just goes to show , you cant trust anyone .

Image.....before he starts any guessing game threads ;)
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:55 am

Thanx guys! :) I was hoping there would be a lot of LM collectors here. I got into collecting 1:18 because of the exceptional details that the scale offered, and LM was maybe my first "official" theme. Since I started out primarily interested in the details, I didn't think much about what the scale offered in terms of themes, and wasn't aware of how physically big a 1:18 collection can get. After a few years, with the gathered knowledge and experience, I saw the benefits of 1:43 to the point that if asked, I would say that if I should start again I would go 1:43 and not 1:18. And here I am :ugeek:.

Jager, I was looking at LM24 Database (fantastic site, an absolute obligatory visit if you're interested in LM 1:43) and I could perceive things can easily get scary. BUT, when you have seen a lot of springs go by and personally felt how a collection can get out of hand, I'm confident things will be much more sedated this time.

Gary, you big hoarder, still up to no good? Gentlemen, you can't imagine the stories that I can tell about this chap :lol:. Who else of the sanctum sanctorum is here? I know Jeff is the big cheese, but where's the rest of 'em? You were easy to spot (who else could use "Galaxy" Gaz as his moniker :roll:?!?), but looking around I couldn't spot anyone else. And if you're still the same, if you had (have?) over 1000 models in 1:18, how much do you have of 1:43? 25k+?
PS: And only from you I could hear holy mercaptans...Image
PPS: Mark, the Racing Bear, sends his regards. He's still on Rafael's bed Image.
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:58 am

Hey buddy , you have no idea how pleased I am to see you posting here , it has been way too long since our fun times over at the other place .
It was so weird that I had a look over there just last night and I saw your post regarding the old members and the reply that Jeff gave you . I hoped it wouldnt be long before you showed that ugly mug of yours here :lol:

Jeff is here of course and Ric made a return post a few weeks back but sadly ,he is out of the collecting business now. Felix is also a member here but hasnt been seen since the early days of S143 so I can only assume he is also done with diecast.
Steve is a member here too , but like Felix , he has disappeared from the board . I have been trying to get in touch with him for 18 months but he is a hard man to track down since his return to the UK after his divorce . I tracked his brother down before Christmas last year and he said he would let Steve know I was looking for him, but Ive heard nothing in return . I think John popped over to say Hi a few years ago but again, he hasnt been back....I miss that guy , he was a good bloke.
As to my collection , well most of the 1/18s are gone now.....I think I may have 100 or so left and they will go too , eventually. My 1/43s have been cut back too and big number of them were sold when I refocused my collection. I have gone from buying 650 models per year down to 200 last year , so my collection probably only has maybe 1000 models in it now.
Its funny that you mention my username as I have only just recently changed it to Galaxy Gaz , from the Sir Gary user name that you were largely responsible for :lol:

How is the little guy anyways , Raphael I mean , he must be 10 or 11 years old now yeh ? I cant believe he still has Mark after all these years, thats fantastic. I still have that Porsche picture you had done for me...its been a reminder of the good old days for sure .
So you have a daughter now too eh , how cool is that....I only hope she looks like her gawjus Mom because I wouldnt want to wish your looks on any kid :lol:

Seriously though Luc , its damn good to see you here , reviving your love of these little model cars that made our friendships possible . You were a big part of the diecast community and you have been a huge miss. Now stop playing with the kids Lego Star Wars and get some pics posted :D

And dont you dare go telling any stories about me either

Welcome back buddy :D

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 am

I can only echo Gary in saying how happy I am to see you here and just hearing from you. it has been many years. Hard to think of Raphael being older than about 2 but time marches on. And how wonderful that he has a sister.

My daughter is grown and on her own, we are finally getting the house the way we want it.
I have a new career that will hopefully take me into official retirement.

I remember having the 1:43 discussion with you many, many years ago, nice to see that you have finally succumbed.
Jeff
ImageImage

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:48 am

Welcome back, LUW!

Are you also from São Paulo? I am sure you will not regret the new scale of your collection.

Cheers!

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 pm

It's REALLY good to hear from you guys again Image. Of all the hobbies and interests that I got involved with in the web, diecast was the only thing that made me friends. Sounds corny, I know, but it's true. Those Skype conversations we had, when most of the gang was online, were memorable. It wasn't a few nights that I got chastised by Larissa because I was being too loud :lol:.

Yeah, the family is bigger now:
Here is the dynamic duo on Gabriela's (Snow White) 6th birthday 3 weeks ago, while Rafael turned 10 last Saturday. They're great kids but are in that "loud phase" now :x.

Hi Serafa! No, I live in a small town right beside Curitiba, some 400 km South of São Paulo.
Image The Garage

dcast

Post by dcast » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi and welcome, sounds like you already know many people here :) Haven't been at DX myself. Before this, used to be on diecastcentral.co.uk.
Gran Turismo series is my favourite game but Xbox One is also tempting because of the Forza game series but I'm still using PS3 & GT6.

105epaul

Post by 105epaul » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi Luciano,
Welcome to S143. I'm new here, only been here for about a week but I love the friendliness from the members. I also like LM cars and have quite a few in my collection but I'm not as dedicated to them as some are! I did go to the 24Hrs three times back in the 1980's and would love to return at some time. A great race with a superb atmosphere. I used to travel with the Aston Martin Owner's Club and as I was a Porsche supporter some got rather annoyed by that, lol. Great memories of a great event.

Paul

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Hello and welcome! ;)
-Julio-

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Well here`s wishing them both a (belated) Happy Birthday . Raphael is certainly a handsome dude and Gabriela is just too cute . You must be a very proud daddy ........I see you even got Stevie to pose in the pic too :lol: :lol:

Those Skype calls were a laugh , especially when we all tried to talk at the same time ......I remember you trying to shush us up because Raphael was sleeping when it was actually you that was being the loudest .......I`m pleased I never felt the wrath of Larissa :lol: .
It was a laugh back then thats for sure.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks guys! Scale143 is sounding to be a great place to hangout and shoot the breeze. Even with Gary around :lol:.

I bet most reading this think we're old farts reminiscing about the past, and you got it half right (Gary IS an old fart). I wouldn't say the same of Jeff because he's admin, and the last time we managed to piss off an admin the internet almost melted. So yes, we know each other quite well. And come to think of it, I guess it's good that Steve and specially Mike aren't around, 'cause we might break something here.
Image The Garage

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Seems nearly all of us posting are ex-DX (me included) I still dip my toes in the '24 and '18 pool.

Ian if you focus on LM in general you'll get into big numbers..I'm strictly Rotary only so have few gaps now to fill.

Anyways welcome aboard and good luck finding a decent cabinet which seals tight to keep out dust. The glass/aluminium ones here are very $pendy.
Lars

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:37 am

Welcome !

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:22 am

Welcome to S143! :)

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:30 am

I can't even begin to count all the times i was late for work because of those skype calls :lol:
And I am the oldest Fart of the group except for Frenchie.
Luc, surely those grown up people cannot be your children (they must favor their mother) as they are much too old. :lol:

I was just thinking not long ago how long it has been since I wrote out any birthday cars in Portuguese ;)

And the last time we pissed off an admin it created a Diecast Universe :mrgreen:
Jeff
ImageImage

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:34 am

Welcome back, from a newer non-ex-DX dude. Anyone who collects these little cars with numbers is alright by me!
Martin

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:44 am

Thanks everyone! I'm really happy I decided to join!

Jeff, time flies, my friend. Those two are bigger every day and my hair is whiter. And how's Sandy?
PS: Nowadays the bd card wouldn't work anymore - EVERYTHING is taxed :cry:.
Image The Garage

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:26 am

I am glad you joined to.

Like me, Sandy is looking at working the last 5-7 years until she can retire. She got a job 10 minutes from home while I work all around the country. In fact I am leaving for Michigan in about 30 minutes.

Govt is very good at finding more ways to tax.
Jeff
ImageImage