Alex's 1:87 Outliers

protzenegger

Alex's 1:87 Outliers

Post by protzenegger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Hey guys... so I only have 2 vehicles in this scale, neither of which is diecast. Both were souvenirs I picked up on overseas trips, and reside both physically and conceptually outside my "formal" collection of 1:43 and 1:18 cars.

I don't have pictures of the second one just yet, but here's the first - not strictly a "model" as it's more of a sculpture: Jaguar E-Type with rolling wheels, in freshly polished sterling silver. Got this just shy of 15 years ago at the Notting Hill market in London.

Interestingly, the front of this car seems to be a frankenstein of 3 versions of the E-Type. Not sure why it looks the way it does since the rest of the car is pretty clearly the normal XKE.

"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

protzenegger

Re: Alex's 1:87 Outliers

Post by protzenegger » Tue May 02, 2017 1:57 am

My other model is a memento from the 2006 commercial vehicle show in Hannover, Germany. I was a budding truck designer at the time and it was good to walk around checking out these beasts from inside and out. Since as an American I was used to the massive "office-on-wheels" rigs we have here, it was all the more fascinating how European truck designers manage the limited space inside the standard cabs.

At Scania's stand I ran into a couple of their designers doing on-site sketch demos, which was inspiring and very cool to watch. One of them went on to become an interior director for Volvo Cars. Anyway, the R 620 was the big news that year, and this auto show edition from Herpa is nicely done, with colors matching the 1:1 on display. I really like these Scanias - that face is so iconic.

"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue May 02, 2017 2:21 am

730 bhp of Viking power.....Love the Scania , fantastic trucks with the V8 engines in them. The new generation R series trucks are even nicer.
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:58 am

Great model! I always thought the Scanias looked very good, like them much more compared to Volvos. My other favorite cabin design is DAF. Too classic maybe? :lol:
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 03, 2017 7:02 am

Scanias are the favourite of most truck drivers here. Really nice model!