My little collection of littlies

Featherless_Biped

Re: My little collection of littlies

Post by Featherless_Biped » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:03 am

Nice work! 8-) Too bad about that Tamiya yellow lacquer. Was it old paint? Perhaps an air brush would give you the results you want, but maybe you'll want to test the paints before you spray those Solidos and Brumms you have in mind. It's so frustrating to get less than desired results after all the work of prepping.

RT

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 am

Yellow has to be one of the hardest colors to get good coverage from.
Jeff
ImageImage

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:45 pm

One good thing about being a diecast collector is that friends on holidays know which kind of tacky souvenirs to buy for you. The bad thing is that the souvenirs are often extremely tacky. In this case I've lucked out, as at least my tacky, cheap little souvenir has a nice back story that I didn't know about.

Classic Gozo Malta bus, with somewhat inappropriate wheels and tyres, but the colour scheme is somewhere in the correct ballpark, apparently.

Two good friends have just had a terrific holiday in Malta. She (Jane) is originally from there, but had never been back, and he (Eric) owns a limousine service here in Australia, so he likes anything automotive (he has some very nice old late 20s Cadillacs which are popular as wedding cars). They loved the place, and from their photos it does look like there's a fair bit to see and enjoy in Malta.

Apparently the classic old Gozo Malta buses are now in museums, replaced by modern, safer designs, but for decades these old buses were owned as a fleet by a cooperative of all the drivers, and each driver tended to decorate (and maintain) his own bus however he liked. Some drivers, apparently, were a bit like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi when it came to customer relations.

I have a big enough problem coping with a lack of space, a too-large car collection and an ever-growing supply of built models of planes and ships. I will not let myself be lured into starting up a little sideline in vintage buses – even the 1:87 scale ones.

Rat

Post by Rat » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:57 pm

I took this pic with my phone in Valletta, Malta last month. This bus is now a souvenir shop.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:06 pm

What are the chances someone on the Forum would have a recent picture of an old bus in Malta? :o For that matter, what are the chances that anyone would have a model of an old bus from Malta. :lol:

Charm offsets tackiness, IMO. ;)

RT

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:58 pm

I holidayed in Malta in about '93. It was a classic car paradise and those old buses were everywhere then. Took me across the island for a couple of cents. I loved it.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:43 am

Nice photo (yet again!) Rat. And nice to read your traveller's tale from the 1990s, Tom.

That's one excellent thing about diecast collecting: as a motoring enthusiast I just keep on coming across vehicles I've never heard of with the bonus of great stories attached, often stories that are part of a whole community's culture.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:59 am

I've shot lots of pictures in Malta, but alas they were analog ones and I lack a scanner. I would love to put those online some day.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:27 pm

I am not starting a 1:87 scale bus collection. I am not starting a 1:87 scale bus collection...

I just bought another one while on holidays, that's all. If I hadn't been given that Malta Bus as a gift, I wouldn't have bought the Trailways Bus, even if I did think it was very nice when I saw it. It's labelled as "HO" scale on the box as well, so presumably it is right at home in a railway station diorama.

And what a beauty it is. A 1/87 Trailways Bus by Mini Metals.

Bus enthusiasts will of course know that it's a General Motors Truck and Coach Divisions PD-4103 Highway Bus, built in 1951-52.

Nice looking bus. Makes me think of all the different songs where people either in love or out of love, hop on a Trailways bus…

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 am

That is VERY charming.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:48 am

Tom wrote:That is VERY charming.
-Julio-

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 am

Bus collecting is a very attractive direction. I have a few Corgi 1:48 and could easily fall into buying more, especially when confronted with one that looks like this.
Jeff
ImageImage

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:00 pm

I fell for a classic bus partwork in the past, but sold them on when I realised how much space 20+ bus models would take up...

carcollector

Post by carcollector » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:52 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:
Tom wrote:That is VERY charming.
x 3 :D

Madalinutzu

Post by Madalinutzu » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:29 am

Great collection!

Who is the maker of Gozo Malta bus?

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Just checked the underside of the Malta bus and .... nothing. No maker's name, sorry. It was bought for me by friends holidaying in Malta.

69Stang

Post by 69Stang » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 pm

Ozmac wrote:I am not starting a 1:87 scale bus collection. I am not starting a 1:87 scale bus collection...
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Or in this case...to having a 1:87 bus collection! :D

GREAT looking bus!
Racecar spelled backwards is STILL Racecar!

David MG

Post by David MG » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:33 am

69Stang wrote:
Ozmac wrote:I am not starting a 1:87 scale bus collection. I am not starting a 1:87 scale bus collection...
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Or in this case...to having a 1:87 bus collection! :D

GREAT looking bus!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Well, two and a bit years since I last updated this thread, I've just spent about an hour fixing as many of the broken photo links as I could, and I discovered one recent 1/64 acquisition that needs to be added to the collection thread.

This is by Tomy, and as you can see they are very serious about their hamburgers in Japan.

I was inspired by these beautiful "Sushi Trucks" which I saw at a major international Asia Pacific art exhibition a few years ago. Ever since then I've been looking for this type of thing in diecast, and the burger van is the best I've found so far.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Burger truck is very charming.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Seeing those Sushi trucks reminded me of that truck in Japan that was hauling a whale until the whale exploded all over traffic.
Jeff
ImageImage