My little collection of littlies

Ozmac

My little collection of littlies

Post by Ozmac » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 am

While I mostly collect 1:43 cars (and 1:24 motorcycles) I couldn't resist having just a few 'other scales' as well, especially smaller scales. And so here they all are, as a group, then one by one, as there aren't that many.

Smallest first: an N-scale (which I think is around 150:1) Ford Anglia Police Panda.

Almost my favourite next, a Tatra 87 in 1:87 scale, made by Wiking. Nice level of finish and detail.

Now this is my favourite. It's 1:87, made by Bubmobil in Germany, and it's a BMW Isetta Service Kombi, complete with Isetta (it comes as a set).

I have one other Bubmobil 1:87 set, of the three Ford GT40s which came 1-2-3 in 1966. This is the winning car, driven by Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon.

The second-placed car, driven by Ken Miles and Denny Hulme.

Third-placed car, driven by Ronnie Bucknum and Dick Hutchison.

Last of my Bubmobil 1:87 models is this, the second-placed Mini Cooper S at Bathurst in 1966.

The remaining three cars are all 1:64 (edit: 1:76!), all made by Oxford Diecast. This is a Jowett Javelin.

And this 1:64 (edit: 1:76!) by Oxford is our family car before I was born, a Morris Minor.

Last of all, an Austin FX4 London cab, also 1:64 (edit: 1:76!) by Oxford.
Last edited by Ozmac on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: My little collection of littlies

Post by JSB33 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:24 am

The VW combo is sweet.
Jeff
ImageImage

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm

JSB33 wrote:The VW combo is sweet.
x 2 :)
-Julio-

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm guessing the Police Anglia is an Oxford model? In which case it will be British N scale, which is 1:148 strictly speaking. I have a few of their cars, and I think they are excellent considering the tiny size. You'd never guess from your photo, but I bet that Anglia is easily less than an inch in length?
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 am

Spot on Guitar Dave, I forgot to mention that it's an Oxford Model, so it's 1:148 as you say. I bought in in the railway modelling section of a local hobby store (and the range of cars there is quite good, too - a whole other world).

Just got out my vernier caliper, and it's 26.4mm (an inch is 25.4) from front bumper to rear bumper. It's a nice little teeny model, and I think I will be getting a few more of them, as they are both cheap and nice.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:40 am

Ozmac wrote:Spot on Guitar Dave, I forgot to mention that it's an Oxford Model, so it's 1:148 as you say. I bought in in the railway modelling section of a local hobby store (and the range of cars there is quite good, too - a whole other world).

Just got out my vernier caliper, and it's 26.4mm (an inch is 25.4) from front bumper to rear bumper. It's a nice little teeny model, and I think I will be getting a few more of them, as they are both cheap and nice.
The few I have are also a result of railway modelling. It's a while since I've seen them, as all my N gauge stuff still hasn't moved with me to our new house. Obviously they are a fraction bigger than I remember. Can't even recall what they are - I think I have an Anglia, a Morris Traveller and a Jowett Javelin.

The range seems to be expanding too, as there are some really nice commercial vehicles available now that I hadn't seen before.

69Stang

Post by 69Stang » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Nice collection!
Racecar spelled backwards is STILL Racecar!

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 am

Not sure if this thread is going to get me started on something new, but I was in town on the weekend with an hour to kill while my wife went girly shopping... and so I ended up in the railway modelling section of a big Hobby store here in Sydney called Hobbyco. And I thought "that little N-Scale Anglia is a bit lonely being the only N-scaler by itself, I'll just get something to keep it company".

Bingo, Vauxhall Cresta in N-scale, by Oxford Diecast. The great thing about this is that I had only discovered recently that a Sedan-style Cresta was the very first winner (back in 1960) of the race which is now the famous Bathurst 1000.

This N-scale caravan (by Oxford) wasn't teamed with the Cresta as a model, but it was right next to it, in its own box on the shelf, so what the hell, a touring Vauxhall Cresta rig in N-scale, with race-winning relatives to boot. Cool.

Then I spotted a model of one of my old family cars, an FB Holden, a forgettable car if ever there was one. But it was reliable and never let us down. So I picked it up too. It's in 1:87 scale, made by Road Ragers (Aussie company, but it's made in China).

Then things got a bit weird. A friend gave me a very beaten up Matchbox Milk Float a while ago, and when I saw this three-wheeler float (1:76, Oxford Diecast) I thought of a very funny episode of an Irish comedy show called 'Father Ted' in which they had a mad bomber who rigged a milk float with explosives set to go off the moment the speed dropped below 4mph. Had to have that one, too.

As I already have in 1:43 scale three different food-vending vans (2 Citroens Type Hs and a Peugeot J7), this 'Bob's Hot Dogs' caravan (Oxford 1:76) just fell into my mesmerised hands.

And so there we go, my little collection of littlies has suddenly become a little larger.
Last edited by Ozmac on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:40 am

A fan of all the new releases, especially the Cresta.

Suddenly I want a Hot Dog or at least a warm puppy 8-)
Jeff
ImageImage

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:03 am

OK, I'm going to need a few photos to explain this next purchase. First up, the car itself, a very nice little 1:64 scale Kyosho, of a Ferrari Dino 246GT

Nice little model, with good attention to detail on the wheels, and the body shape looks great. But what's interesting is how this model is marketed in Japan. It's called a "Blind Model". This is where I need the extra pix.

Here's the back of the box. All you know from the packaging is that you'll get one of these Ferraris, but the wonderfully Japanese thing is that you don't know which one.

The front of the box gives you no clues, except that the exploded diagram on the front means that you have to assemble the model yourself.

This photo is not quite what you get when you open the package, because this car is assembled now. When you open the "Blind Model" box you get the body, the base, seats, wheels, screws and even a teeny little screwdriver to put it all together. The nice man in the model shop here in Sydney (yes, we have them still!) assembled it for me on the spot. And the cool thing is that it cost me just $10.

The guy in the model shop bought a box of these "blind models" without knowing much about them, except that they were 1:64 Kyoshos, and Ferraris. It was only after he opened the package that he learnt about the lack of model ID on the box, and the self-assemble stuff. Nevertheless, they're nice little models, and I think I'll be going back to get a couple more, provided I don't have to gamble and buy an unopened box! For Sydney readers, his shop is Model Cars Too, 152-6 Clarence St, Sydney city.
Last edited by Ozmac on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:16 am

That's interesting!

And, your model is quite nice! ;)
-Julio-

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 am

That was interesting.
I agree, it would be tough buying a model without knowing what you are getting!
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 pm

How in the world can that be a 1:64 model? It looks outstanding.

Not sure I'd like the blind buying though. If I were that shopkeeper, I would be tempted to check what each one was, label the boxes and sell them as little kits for people to choose from. Perhaps that's no fun though...

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:35 pm

That's what the shopkeeper is doing. He's opening them all, assembling them to while away the quiet hours when business is slow, and selling them as complete cars, for just $10 a pop. I guess in Japan that people aim to get the whole collection, maybe swap models they have duplicates of, and of course I wonder if Kyosho has made one or two models in the collection the "rare" hard-to-find ones that you need to complete the whole collection.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:51 am

They would be fools if they didn't :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:11 pm

JSB33 wrote:They would be fools if they didn't :lol:
Certainly seems to be the way to really empty peoples' wallets. I know people who have bought packs and packs of football cards/stickers, accumulating tens of duplicates just to complete a set.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am

These Kyosho 1:64 cars are really nice. I was in town today not far from my model shop, and so I dropped in and picked up two more "Blind Model" Ferraris that he had set aside for me, each $10 a pop.

330 P4

250LM

And so, with the Dino 246GT, I have three. As I'm not a major Ferrari fan I don't think I'll go out and get all the models in all the colours, but these three fine red Ferraris from the early 60s do look good together.
Last edited by Ozmac on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 am

I think you have 3 good ones.
Jeff
ImageImage

69Stang

Post by 69Stang » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 am

Oh yes, those look so good in read! Nice additions.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Why do models always look so much better in groups? Little wonder that there is no hope for any of us :roll:

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:29 am

The guy in that model car shop can read a customer's tastes, too. As he handed over the two Ferraris I've posted here recently, he said "would you be interested in a 1:64 Kyosho model of a BMW 2002 Turbo, same price?" The word "no" suddenly departed from my vocabulary, and an extra tenner hit his desk.

The 2002 Turbo really helped to put Beemers on the map here in Australia. I presume it might have been the same overseas, too.
Like the Ferraris, this little jigger is nicely done. As I am running out of space rapidly in my study and cabinets for new 1:43 cars, these nice quality 1:64s are likely to become my new collecting focus, I suspect! I hadn't realised how nice all these Kyoshos are.
Last edited by Ozmac on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:00 am

I really think this is the best one yet.
Jeff
ImageImage

69Stang

Post by 69Stang » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree, I think I like this one best so far as well!

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:56 pm

Speed at both ends of the spectrum this time round.

First up, another of those 1:64 Kyosho Ferraris, this time the Testarossa.

And now for a complete change of pace. Slowing down, slower, slower.

The Mechanical Horse; this is a British Railways fire brigade support vehicle, 1:76 and made by Oxford Diecast. I found it in the railway modelling section of our local large modelling store.
I didn't know such things existed, but when I told a friend about my three-wheeled milk delivery van, he then mentioned the three-wheeled 'Mechanical Horse', made by Scammel. This was superseded in the late 40s by another three-wheeler, the Scammel Scarab. While there were several Scarabs around in1:43 size in the shop, they were too big. I wanted another little 1:76 model to go with my 1:76 milk van. I'm not really into trucks, and I don't want a Reliant Robin, either! The weirdness of this just appealed to me.
Last edited by Ozmac on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.