My little collection of littlies

Ozmac

Re: My little collection of littlies

Post by Ozmac » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:30 pm

One good source of littlies is the model railways section at my local hobby store, especially the 1:76 scale models made by Oxford Diecast. Cheap as chips, the range is extremely varied, too. I spotted this 1:76 scale BSA motorcycle with sidecar, a postal and telegraph dept vehicle, and though I don;t have a clue which model BSA it is, at six bucks it looked pretty good to me. Painted dark green with black engine, it's one of the 'darkest' models in my cabinet. Had to photograph it with a flash just so you could see it.

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:12 pm

I really can get use to your taste in small diecast vehicles! Your collection must be absolutely stunning. I have not seen one that did not like. WOW!

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:18 am

Neat sidecar and (now it makes sense) I like that its mounted on the opposite side than we are used to seeing in the US.
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 am

Ozmac wrote:1:76 scale BSA motorcycle with sidecar
Wow, incredible detail. Can't believe it's 1:76. :o

RT

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:58 pm

If this little 1:72 scale Kubelwagen looks a bit rough around the edges, that's because it's a plastic model which I finished building this morning.

The Kubelwagen was part of a 1:72 scale model kit of the Fieseler Storch plane.

Once I'd built the Storch (in Polish livery) I decided to do the Kubelwagen, as I've always liked them. As there were no rotten swastikas in sight, I decided to paint it in a roughly Afrika-Korps kind of manner, although I can't vouch for its historical accuracy, as that isn't my 'thing'. I think I'll let the Kubelwagen live up on the plane shelf, as it looks at home there.

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Nice job on the Kublewagen. 8-) Models that can be paired up certainly add to the pleasures of collecting.

RT

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:41 am

Now you need to build a small diorama of a landing strip :D
Jeff
ImageImage

David MG

Post by David MG » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:27 am

Jamie,
Is the anhedral too distorted or is a pic glitch involved ?

See dwg. on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieseler_Fi_156
Cheers,
David

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 am

Shame the Kubel was military-only as I don't collect military vehicles. Nothing rough about the model, BTW- I like it.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:15 pm

I didn't think the Kubelwagen looked rough at all, and then I read on to discover it was only 1:72. Must be a super neat job if it stands up that well under the scrutiny of the camera.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for the comments on the Kubelwagen, gents. My next car project is going to be a Panhard Dynavia, so the Kubelwagen was something of a trial run...

As for the wings on the Storch, David, that's just how the model fitted together, as the support spars were at full length and slipped neatly into their little holes. I've had a look at it from a couple of other angles, and I think the problem is partly the model kit itself and also the angle of the photo, which exaggerates it a bit. C'est la vie.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:50 am

Well, story time folks. Just got back from visiting a model-collecting friend whose tastes are very wide, but he wouldn't mind if you called him a Matchbox man. He has lots of them, including lots as original "mint in box" beauties. But he's not just a snobby old Matchbox purist, as he also loves the beaten-up, play-worn ones just as much, as he has boxes and boxes of them.

And so, after my most recent visit, when I told him that I rather fancied the idea of restoring some horribly beaten up old model cars (I have ancient Solidos and Brumms in 1:43 in mind, mostly) I am now the proud owner of my first ever "resto" project: a Matchbox model of a Lotus Europa.

Here's the mangled lovely. Now, I do not actually own a 1:43 Lotus Europa, mainly because I never looked hard enough for one, and when I did look I couldn't find one in the yellow colour I want, at the price I want. And so my resto project is going to make me a Yellow Europa.

It's an oldie, from 1969. Considering Europas only appeared in 67, this is an early one. Don't fret if you think I am committing some kind of sacrilege. He had 3 other Europas of the same vintage, and this was definitely the worst of them.

With that missing A-pillar, I can also include a bit of scratch-building in my first restoration project.

By the way, the great thing about his play worn collection is that they are in about 5 large boxes. Each box has about five or so "layers". On each layer he has about 40 or so Matchbox cars, sitting on a thick shelf of newspapers. It took both of us to lift out each shelf, to reveal the next one down. And each shelf of Matchbox cars contains so many pleasant surprises. Everything from Citroens to Cadillacs, trucks and buses, earth-moving equipment, Pontiacs, Holdens, Kombis, Ford Zephyrs, Ambulances, Simcas, BMWs, Fiats, Studebakers… just incredible. We only went through the first box and that took hours. I could honestly lock myself in his collection room for a week. Just push some beer and burgers through the window each day and I could stay there for ages. Heaven!

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 am

Great story, and nice restoration project, Jamie! ;)

Next time, you should ask him to let you take some photos, for us to see that collection!
-Julio-

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:41 am

I would say that this car deserves a restoration, it had a hard life.
Jeff
ImageImage

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:10 am

Good story, Jamie. Like a good writer, you have primed us to hear Chapter 2. :)

I don't collect Matchbox, Dinky, etc., but I've recently purchased some for a display I'm making. I've bought "play-worn" examples, and I've found surprisingly high prices for these old toys – especially for a French Dinky I'm trying to find. There must be some serious collectors out there, willing to pay top dollar.

RT

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:12 am

OK, Chapter 2 begins…

Pulling the Europa apart wasn't so tricky, just a matter of removing three rivet tops.

I'm actually doing two restorations at once, of the Europa and a very old, horrible Silver Wraith Roller (I'll post about the Roller somewhere else, probably in the handbuilts thread, because we don't have a restorations section here). Note that the Europa lacks a passenger side A-pillar.

Not any more it doesn't. I photographed the Europa after doing the paint-stripper and emery paper treatment to get it back to bare metal, but they came out horribly blurry, and so all I have is a pic of the body after the first spray of yellow.

I used Tamiya lacquer primer, and as I now have an airbrush but a leftover supply of Tamiya rattle-can paints, I am trying to use up all my rattle can paints now, so the little Europa is getting three coats of Tamiya Gloss Yellow, whether it likes it or not.

I've polished up the plastic window insert with a cotton bud, toothpaste and water, and it has come up fairly well, but you probably won't be able to appreciate all the effort I put into painting the seats, dash and steering wheel once the whole thing is reassembled.

Chapter 3, further updates and maybe even the finished restoration, should appear in this thread by the weekend, if all goes well (ie, provided some idiot doesn't ruin my week by asking me to come into the office to work. I like semi-retirement!)

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:07 am

Nice project! I used to have the Matchbox Europa as a kid and mine probably looked even worse...

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 am

Not only a fine job, it actually looks as though you are having fun doing it.
Jeff
ImageImage

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:59 am

That looks really fun. Inspiring to say the least. Now I want to try something like it myself. :)

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:27 am

Ha,ha! Well, I guess you can stop right there. Your model is looking like several of the brand new 1:64 Kyosho models I've seen on eBay.

Am I missing something or are there no wheels?

RT

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Featherless_Biped wrote:Ha,ha! Well, I guess you can stop right there. Your model is looking like several of the brand new 1:64 Kyosho models I've seen on eBay.

Am I missing something or are there no wheels?

RT
They release them as kits that you put together to bi-pass license issues with Mattel since they have exclusive rights to Ferrari in small diecast.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:12 am

I am now the proud owner of a Yellow Lotus Europa, made by Matchbox, restored by me.

Why on earth they wanted to add opening and closing doors on such a tiddler I don't know. They rarely look good on a 1/43 let alone a Matchbox-sized car. Apart from that, I am delighted to now have a yellow Europa in my collection.

I cannot recommend Tamiya's rattle can Yellow lacquer paint at all. If ever there was a paint that is too thin and just doesn't want to occupy nooks, crannies and corners, it's this Tamiya Yellow. I ended up doing a fair bit of hand-painting in the end.

At least this restoration (and the one I am doing with the Rolls-Royce at the same time) has taught me some lessons and definitely whetted my appetite to do some more.

carcollector

Post by carcollector » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:31 am

Congrats for that good job!

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:24 am

carcollector wrote:Congrats for that good job!
+1 :)