My Hot Wheels collection

zimbo

My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:04 pm

I appear to have been acquiring these little gems at an alarming rate recently BUT have been collecting them properly since about late '09 early '10 and have not stopped since as I rarely (if EVER) leave a grocery store without walking out with a few of these in a carrier bag :lol: unless I don't like what they have in stock if they have anything at the time.

I NEVER realised how seriously people collected these things until very recently when I came across postings of videos online etc. I mean I never until about a year or so ago knew about the Treasure Hunt pieces and the Super Treasure Hunts that you may find if your lucky, thankfully I now know what to look out for when rummaging through the cars to try and find any if I can assuming the like the car/vehicle in the first place.

I have about 9 Treasure Hunt cars so far but I still don't have a Super Treasure Hunt vehicle yet and I have NEVER seen on in real life and only in photos on the net or auction sites where people (scalpers as far as I'm concerned) are asking outrageous prices for them considering they're mostly bought for roughly $1/£1.50 etc each. I have seen cases regularly on a certain online auction site where some people are selling a multitude of the same vehicles :roll: :evil: ...no wonder other collectors like myself can never find anything when they go to look for something for themselves :cry:

I have heard rumours out there about the Malaysian employees at the factory where these are being made making off with these rare and hard to find ones (Super Treasure Hunt) and them thereby not ever making it into shipping containers to be shipped to destinations around the globe, and they are then selling them online as there is currently from a single seller from Malaysia who appears to have over a dozen of this years 2015 versions for sale some how :evil: ...but what can you do :roll:

Anyway enough of my moaning about those bas..... Below is a photo I took recently showing the majority of my almost 500 pieces so far. The group on the right hand side separated are my Matchbox ones.
I decided to dig them out in anticipation of my imminent arrivals from Jeff who as most of you will know went out of his way to help get me a few of these little beauties that I would NEVER have been able to get over here as they were US only Kmart day specials namely the Yellow Datsun 620 pick up :D and he picked up a few others along the way too which are all going to take a special place in my collection along with the green Focus RS Jeff also got for me unexpectedly a few years back.

I don't know how many if any of the rest of you guys in here collect these great pieces or not (I know after todays post by 'Arizona Joe' that he clearly does :lol: and I'm sure 'Hawk' also does even tho he has not posted for a little while, hope hes ok?) but I really like these and can see many MANY more finding their way into my collection especially since this years expected pieces have many that would be most welcome and now I know what to look for it is going to make collection and searching for these things a lot more exciting :mrgreen:

Alistair

Gaban76

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Gaban76 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Few years back, I'm actively collecting Hotwheels especially the mainline. But currently I'm more focus info Retro Entertainment series & few Pop Culture casting.

69Stang

Postby 69Stang » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Wow, you have quite a nice collection working there! As a former Hot Wheels collector, I lived the life style and culture to the fullest. By the time I sold my collection it was well over 15,000 different cars. It was MADNESS! And t think, it all started just like this....let us know when you have to buy a larger home just to store the cars! :lol:

You really do have a nice collection growing there.
Racecar spelled backwards is STILL Racecar!

carcollector

Postby carcollector » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:13 am

Hi Alistair, Very nice collection of HW's you show us here, I myself am an Hot-Wheels Collector since some years (own about 4000models of those little cars) and they make pleasure to collect.
You can see a lot of them on my Homepage. If you've any question about HW you can make me a PM. You'll see that you will have a lot of pleasure with this lovely models. :D

zimbo

Postby zimbo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:53 am

Gaban76 wrote:Few years back, I'm actively collecting Hotwheels especially the mainline. But currently I'm more focus info Retro Entertainment series & few Pop Culture casting.

Thanks for your comment Gaban, sadly all I can collect is the mainline series as that's all we can get here in the UK, I mean I would really love to collect some Retro entertainment or Pop Culture series as there is a HUGE amount of these I'd love to get my hands on especially since I am a huge movie/film nut and am currently trying to find some 'Muppets' vehicles like the green 'Kermit the frog' VW bus, 'The Muppets' bus and one or both of the released 'Animal' vehicles but they appear to be US only :cry: I'd be willing to pay some of the prices wanted for them but it's the shipping from the US to here that is the killer :cry:

You should post up some pics of your collection

69Stang wrote:Wow, you have quite a nice collection working there! As a former Hot Wheels collector, I lived the life style and culture to the fullest. By the time I sold my collection it was well over 15,000 different cars. It was MADNESS! And t think, it all started just like this....let us know when you have to buy a larger home just to store the cars! :lol:

You really do have a nice collection growing there.

:o 15,000+ holy cr4p! and there I was thinking my collection nearing the 500+ mark was kinda big :lol: I have found myself getting a little addicted to collecting these things, luckily am not needing a bigger house yet but needless to say I will let all know if and when this case arrives :lol:

Would love to have seen that site of all your collection :)

carcollector wrote:Hi Alistair, Very nice collection of HW's you show us here, I myself am an Hot-Wheels Collector since some years (own about 4000models of those little cars) and they make pleasure to collect.
You can see a lot of them on my Homepage. If you've any question about HW you can make me a PM. You'll see that you will have a lot of pleasure with this lovely models. :D

4000 :shock: another big collector of these little gems, I wonder just how many other gentlemen in here also collect these. I will go and have a look at your page in a little while. You too need to post up some pics of your collection :D

You guys must have a lot more info or details about collecting these HWs. Did any of you guys have any Super Treasure Hunts in your collections, and if so where they easy to come by/find or did you have to go through online auction sites etc to get them?

Currently due to easter being around the corner so to speak, our local Asda store sells Hot Wheels easter eggs which obviously contains one easter egg and two single cars and I have collected a couple of these and while I was looking at them again after the shelves were restocked recently I moved the first box out of the way as I already had the two cars in its box and the box behind it hand one of the new (2015) regular treasure hunt pink beetles in the pack so I grabbed that for myself which now makes two of those Beetles in my collection, one to keep unopened and the other to open and display eventually. Was not expecting to find one of those in there, so was a great surprise. Now if only I could find a Super :cry:
Alistair

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:27 am

You have been really growing your collection!
Lets see how many you have at the end of the year, I'll bet its a lot more :lol:

I keep resisting the urge to buy, I just saw some cool ones at the store this weekend. I know if i give in I will have them by the thousands and that would be a problem.

Hoping you get your box soon, stuff I sent the same day as yours is starting to land.
Jeff
ImageImage

dcast

Postby dcast » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:30 am

Wow, amazing collections! I must resist even some have already slipped in to my collection :P

zimbo

Postby zimbo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:29 am

JSB33 wrote:You have been really growing your collection!
Lets see how many you have at the end of the year, I'll bet its a lot more :lol:

I keep resisting the urge to buy, I just saw some cool ones at the store this weekend. I know if i give in I will have them by the thousands and that would be a problem.

Hoping you get your box soon, stuff I sent the same day as yours is starting to land.

Funny you should say that as a certain box was sitting on my bed when I got home about an hour ago :lol: needless to say my total has now grown by another 8 ;) along with another three I got whilst out doing some shopping :roll:
Alistair

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:44 am

Wow, impressive collection! That's exactly why I don't buy them, it's like opening a hornets' nest... they can be found at toy stores and general stores here.

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:39 pm

These obviously give a huge amount of satisfaction and a great bang for the buck - probably more so than $50 diecasts. It seems there even more popular than when they were released in the 1960's. I often have a look at them on the shelves when I'm in toy stores, but have deliberately avoided going down this path as they seem too addictive to me. It seems like literally there is no end to the collection. At least with most other themes there is something of an end point.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

grinbergs

Postby grinbergs » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:42 pm

Nice and growing collection you have there! I enjoy HW in 1:64 myself whenever they release something italian and red. :) Most of my cars are HW ferraris.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Wow Alistair, that's a big collection of Hot Wheels! :o

I have a few, but I usually check them out when going to Walmarts and such stores. :)
-Julio-

zimbo

Postby zimbo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks guys :)

My collection is miniscule in comparison to others which makes me feel a bit better that mine is not THAT big after all :lol:
Alistair

wkennerley

Postby wkennerley » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:24 am

Nice colleciton Zimbo, won't say I collect them but I do buy the odd ones now and then from the £ shop - I usually get them for wheels for re-wheeling other cars or customs

Wayne

zimbo

Postby zimbo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:53 am

wkennerley wrote:Nice colleciton Zimbo, won't say I collect them but I do buy the odd ones now and then from the £ shop - I usually get them for wheels for re-wheeling other cars or customs

Wayne

Hi Wayne thanks for the comment. I have an urge to try do some wheel swaps and re-paints etc at some point in the future. Would love to be able to try and find a source for the Hot Wheels 'Real Rider' wheels which have rubber tyres instead of plastic ones like the regular cars do, as there are some very nice looking wheels in that class.
Alistair

wkennerley

Postby wkennerley » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Yea the ones I have seen on eBay are too much for using as wheel swaps!

Hawk

Postby Hawk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:27 pm

I apologize for not being around lately. Major life changes for me and the family and I don't get as much play time on the computer and when I do I am on facebook. I try to post some new stuff once I take pictures and load them into photobucket.

Nice collection you have there but with 508 cars you are just breaking the surface......LOL I used to have alot of Hot Wheels and I guess I still do to a certain point. You are off on a great start and yes, they do add up fast. Wait a few years and count them and imagine the money you spent when you arrive at the final number. You might find yourself alittle ill but that is why I no longer count how many cars I have and I am sure they are in the thousands but not as many I use to have. Now, remember Hot Wheels are just a gateway drug for Johnny Lightnings, GreenLight, Auto World and M2. They are nicer with alittle more on the price tag but well worth it most of the time. I have kinda veered away from buying mainline Hot Wheels but here lately they have put out some nice castings with some very nice livery on them. Makes one tempted for sure. I am looking forward following you on your journey down this rabbit hole. It will be real interesting to see your diecast collecting taste change in the process to certain types of cars because it will. Trust me especially if your a general all around car person. Just remember this rule. Buy what you like and not buy into the hype. Follow that and you will enjoy your collection for years to come.

zimbo

Postby zimbo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks for your comment Hawk 8-)

I already go by the '...if you can afford to then buy what you like and only what you like' rule with all my collection categories from various scale model cars and motorcycles to Movie memorabilia (figures) to watches.

I have looked at pics of the JL, M2, Greenlight, Autoworld etc etc collections but am still a bit concerned about forking out the money for those and have so far resisted the temptation to do anything about them, mostly due to the shipping costs from your side of the world to mine, the same goes for the Hot Wheels Boulevard, retro entertainment, pop culture etc etc these all look amazing but its just a shame that you cannot get any of these other ones on sale here in the UK without going through online auctions at greatly inflated prices :cry: :evil:

I have been after any the Muppets 'Animal' character stuff that I can, two that I can see so far from different years and I want both and would also like the Green Kermit the frog VW bus. If the urge keeps getting bigger and bigger I might end up caving in and forking out for them, but hopefully I'll stand my ground and keep resisting :? :lol:
Alistair

69Stang

Postby 69Stang » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:56 pm

zimbo wrote:
I have been after any the Muppets 'Animal' character stuff that I can, two that I can see so far from different years and I want both and would also like the Green Kermit the frog VW bus.

Neat, another Muppet's fan, and Animal on top of that! These two sit on my desk lamp at my office (the other being E.B. from Hop of course!)...

Racecar spelled backwards is STILL Racecar!

Gaban76

Postby Gaban76 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 am

Thanks for your comment Gaban, sadly all I can collect is the mainline series as that's all we can get here in the UK, I mean I would really love to collect some Retro entertainment or Pop Culture series as there is a HUGE amount of these I'd love to get my hands on especially since I am a huge movie/film nut and am currently trying to find some 'Muppets' vehicles like the green 'Kermit the frog' VW bus, 'The Muppets' bus and one or both of the released 'Animal' vehicles but they appear to be US only :cry: I'd be willing to pay some of the prices wanted for them but it's the shipping from the US to here that is the killer :cry:

You should post up some pics of your collection

Yeah..the green Van are really nice. Here is mine. :D

zimbo

Postby zimbo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:08 am

69Stang wrote:

Neat, another Muppet's fan, and Animal on top of that! These two sit on my desk lamp at my office (the other being E.B. from Hop of course!)...

8-) lol not seen that figure before of Animal :) I have a little soft toy version of him sitting in my centre console of my car :mrgreen:

Gaban76 wrote:
Yeah..the green Van are really nice. Here is mine. :D

There it is, never seen those other two before. The Kermit bus is really nice and I can see myself succumbing to it sooner rather than later and I'll end up hitting the buy it now button :roll:
Alistair

Gaban76

Postby Gaban76 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:23 am

As for my Retro Entertainment, you can this topic.

http://www.scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9198

Arizona Joe

Postby Arizona Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:00 pm

My 1:64s are a slew of different brands, with Hot Wheels making up the vast majority of it, most likely. Most of them have been cracked open (as most of them survived my childhood) but many in the packaging. Some of the oldest packaged ones date back to around 1990. I might have one from the late '80s, but I'm not 100% sure how to ascertain the date of older Hot Wheels packages. Most of them are stored in two or three boxes in my house.

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:12 pm

You might want to try http://www.toms.nl/ (no affiliation, hahaha) for Autoworld, Greenlight and M2.

Return to “1:64 And Smaller”