My Hot Wheels collection

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Tom once I get a bit more time I will try to go into a lot more detail on what to look for when looking for these mate. I thought you might already have known since you seem to already collect HWs. Rest assured once I get a chance I'll get it sorted out and show you how and what to look for :D
Alistair

Image

User avatar
JSB33
Site Admin
Posts: 37097
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby JSB33 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:30 pm

I have seen that Mustang on the shelf before, never added it to my cart but I think it looks really good.

BTW, I have a certain Mini in my possession ;)
Jeff
ImageImage

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:51 am

JSB33 wrote:
BTW, I have a certain Mini in my possession ;)


:D :D
Alistair

Image

Rat
Posts: 8722
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Rat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:03 pm

zimbo wrote: I thought you might already have known since you seem to already collect HWs.

It's a different kind of collecting. I'm more interested in cars with better wheels, paint jobs and interesting cards. For that reason, I don't spend any time looking at regular issues. Last week, I scored the "Grateful Dead" VW drag truck and THAT made me smile, not because I'm a Deadhead but because the truck looks fantastic... it wasn't cheap though.

User avatar
Zeus
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Zeus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Some real nice additions, love the mustang 8-)
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Rat wrote:It's a different kind of collecting. I'm more interested in cars with better wheels, paint jobs and interesting cards. For that reason, I don't spend any time looking at regular issues. Last week, I scored the "Grateful Dead" VW drag truck and THAT made me smile, not because I'm a Deadhead but because the truck looks fantastic... it wasn't cheap though.


Ahh right, I know exactly what your saying. I too would much rather be collecting the same stuff you listed above, but because we can only get the basic stuff here with the boring wheels its all I can look for :cry: ...the only thing that keeps me doing it is the fact that with every new batch (12-14 per year) they should have a $TH ($uper Treasure Hunt) which should look exactly like a regular car from the same batch EXCEPT that it will have a special paint job, graphics on the hood, the letters TH somewhere on the car and best of all MUCH better wheels and lastly it should have a gold circle flame logo on the card under the car in the blister.

I will try and get a photo of the regular car and the $TH side by side so you can see what I'm talking about.
Alistair

Image

carcollector
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:00 pm
Location: Luxembourg
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby carcollector » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Love that Mustang! :D

User avatar
Tom
Posts: 14622
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Tom » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:24 am

Mustang looks great!

Rat
Posts: 8722
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Rat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:18 pm

zimbo wrote:
Rat wrote:It's a different kind of collecting. I'm more interested in cars with better wheels, paint jobs and interesting cards. For that reason, I don't spend any time looking at regular issues. Last week, I scored the "Grateful Dead" VW drag truck and THAT made me smile, not because I'm a Deadhead but because the truck looks fantastic... it wasn't cheap though.


Ahh right, I know exactly what your saying. I too would much rather be collecting the same stuff you listed above, but because we can only get the basic stuff here with the boring wheels its all I can look for :cry: ...the only thing that keeps me doing it is the fact that with every new batch (12-14 per year) they should have a $TH ($uper Treasure Hunt) which should look exactly like a regular car from the same batch EXCEPT that it will have a special paint job, graphics on the hood, the letters TH somewhere on the car and best of all MUCH better wheels and lastly it should have a gold circle flame logo on the card under the car in the blister.

I will try and get a photo of the regular car and the $TH side by side so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info, Alistair. For the first time in a very long time I visited our local TRU yesterday and I think they just had a new shipment of Hotwheels, the pegs were full. I went through about a half of it but then got tired so I didn't find any TH's but I still walked away with a bag full of GreenLights and Comics/Action cars.

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:14 am

Right Tom, I dug out my regular version of the Mustang to do a comparison alongside the $uper Treasure Hunt version just to give you a visual idea what roughly to look out for.

As you should be able to clearly see, there is quite a difference between the two, the one on the right is the regular mainline release, which to me is a really nice on its own AND the one on the left is the $TH and as you can see it looks very VERY similar to the basic one except for the fact that it has:
1- Special metallic paint job (this case it's a darker blue color than the regular)
2- It has the special Real Rider wheels with proper rubber tires.
3- It has the 'Gold' circle flame logo on the card behind the car under the blister. Some Treasure Hunts (Including the basic ones which have a 'silver' colored circle flame logo) will sometimes have some small writing alongside the logo indicating that this item is a special find etc.
I forgot to take a photo, but the $TH will also have the letter TH somewhere on the car, in this case it is on the trunk lid.
Image

Image

Now this last photo shows you part of the 'Gold' coloured/colored cirlce flame logo which all $TH will have
Image

Hope these pics and my description has helped a little bit Tom.
Now as I said before the regular and $THs change with every new box/case that is released, in the US they go by letter codes i.e, case A then case B, case C and so on and ending with case Q as it has done this year. I still have no idea how our cases Tom (the international ones as they are called) are identified as they are completely different to the US ones, so are the actual cards that the cars on attached too.
Each new case that is released has a different regular and $uper in it depending on what the chosen example vehicle is this time around and like the mustang above they will look extremely similar to the untrained eye, unless you know what to look for... ;)
Alistair

Image

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:31 am

I have been hunting tirelessly for the 70s Escorts which were first released in Blue with white stripe and have so far NEVER been able to find one and I am STILL trying to get two examples for my collection, and recently they released a new color scheme of it in white with a blue strip this time and once again I've been trying to get some of these to no avail as well, until this week when one of the guys on the HW forum I'm on mentioned that he had seen the white escorts in 9 packs at a local UK store which I never even thought about going to besides I never even knew we got the 9 packs here in the UK, so I went along yesterday and they have currently got a special offer on on toys where can two items for £15, which is an awesome bargain if I could find what I was looking for!!
And bingo, I found two cases both with the escorts in them so I took these two beauties home with me and it turns out that both cases have all the latest released cars in it, so I'm really chuffed with these additions and bonus was getting them for a lot cheaper than they should have been :mrgreen:

Image

Never saw that HWs mug before so grabbed that while I was in a different shop a couple of days earlier :lol: (I seem to collect mugs too by the way :roll: , seriously I'm not kidding :lol: )
Alistair

Image

User avatar
Tom
Posts: 14622
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Tom » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:47 am

Nice finds!

User avatar
Zeus
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Zeus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:40 am

zimbo wrote:I have been hunting tirelessly for the 70s Escorts which were first released in Blue with white stripe and have so far NEVER been able to find one and I am STILL trying to get two examples for my collection, and recently they released a new color scheme of it in white with a blue strip this time and once again I've been trying to get some of these to no avail as well, until this week when one of the guys on the HW forum I'm on mentioned that he had seen the white escorts in 9 packs at a local UK store which I never even thought about going to besides I never even knew we got the 9 packs here in the UK, so I went along yesterday and they have currently got a special offer on on toys where can two items for £15, which is an awesome bargain if I could find what I was looking for!!
And bingo, I found two cases both with the escorts in them so I took these two beauties home with me and it turns out that both cases have all the latest released cars in it, so I'm really chuffed with these additions and bonus was getting them for a lot cheaper than they should have been :mrgreen:

Image

Never saw that HWs mug before so grabbed that while I was in a different shop a couple of days earlier :lol: (I seem to collect mugs too by the way :roll: , seriously I'm not kidding :lol: )



They are cool, what store was that? PM if you want.
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

User avatar
JSB33
Site Admin
Posts: 37097
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby JSB33 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:26 am

Collecting HW is way too complicated for me :lol: I just like the technique of if i like it I buy it without much searching.
You super Mustang does look a lot better, just not sure if the improvement is worth all the searching, at least for me its not but very happy you found one.

Picked up a couple cars for you in Charlotte, hope you like them
Jeff
ImageImage

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Zeus wrote:
They are cool, what store was that? PM if you want.


Dave the 9-packs were from Argos, they had 14 packs in stock in my store and I checked nearly all of them till I found the two with the escorts in and stopped as thats what i was after. The mug and jelly beans box was from B&M :)

JSB33 wrote:Collecting HW is way too complicated for me :lol: I just like the technique of if i like it I buy it without much searching.
You super Mustang does look a lot better, just not sure if the improvement is worth all the searching, at least for me its not but very happy you found one.

Picked up a couple cars for you in Charlotte, hope you like them


I'm the same Jeff, 'If I like it then I will buy it' and if I can find the $TH then that's a bonus, but because the $THs are the best versions of Hot Wheels we can get (since they come with the great paint jobs, LOADS better rubber tires etc) it makes them a lot more sought after over here.

So are the Charlotte cars going to be a surprise for me for when I get and open my box? :lol: ...I'll be like a kid at Christmas as I love surprises :mrgreen:
Alistair

Image

User avatar
Zeus
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Zeus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:32 pm

zimbo wrote:
Zeus wrote:
They are cool, what store was that? PM if you want.


Dave the 9-packs were from Argos, they had 14 packs in stock in my store and I checked nearly all of them till I found the two with the escorts in and stopped as thats what i was after. The mug and jelly beans box was from B&M :)


Interesting, will have a wander one day. Do you have to order with the slip or are they on display?
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Zeus wrote:
zimbo wrote:
Zeus wrote:
They are cool, what store was that? PM if you want.


Dave the 9-packs were from Argos, they had 14 packs in stock in my store and I checked nearly all of them till I found the two with the escorts in and stopped as thats what i was after. The mug and jelly beans box was from B&M :)


Interesting, will have a wander one day. Do you have to order with the slip or are they on display?


Apparently you can view before you buy!! So that's what I did :D (I never knew you could do that either, but now I do :lol: )
Alistair

Image

Rat
Posts: 8722
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Rat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks for the pictorial guide to finding TH's, Alistair. I did see the regular Mustangs but I didn't have the patience to check every model for slightly different wheels, the amount of what was there was overwhelming. I did see some of the multipacks as well - 3, 6 and bigger but didn't find anything interesting. I like the mug though.

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Your welcome Tom, anytime mate.
Well I struck gold today so to speak, I went into the next town over to check my the local Poundland, the last two times I was in there they had ZERO Hot Wheels which was a huge disappointment but today (third time lucky visiting ;) ) I found some while I had my little cheeky monkey with me :lol: so while holding him in one arm so he didn't run riot in the store I rummaged through the bin and found a new $TH and one that I have wanted since I first saw the pics of it online. I have taken a photo of it alongside the regular version of the same car for comparison gents :mrgreen:

Image

I love this little beauty :lol:
Alistair

Image

Rat
Posts: 8722
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:24 pm
Location: Calgary, Canada
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Rat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:45 pm

You're on a roll Alistair, nice catch. There's noway I would know what it was if it fell on my head. You have to teach your son what to look for pretty soon so he can start helping you searching. :mrgreen: I'm sure it's something he won't mind doing when he's a bit bigger.

User avatar
zimbo
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:48 am

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby zimbo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:15 pm

Rat wrote:You're on a roll Alistair, nice catch. There's noway I would know what it was if it fell on my head. You have to teach your son what to look for pretty soon so he can start helping you searching. :mrgreen: I'm sure it's something he won't mind doing when he's a bit bigger.


:lol: ...thinking about it, this was actually our very first treasure hunting experience as father and son, and it was an extremely successful one at that, so it makes this find even more special to me :mrgreen: This Toyota Supra will hold the top spot in my collection forever 8-)
Alistair

Image

User avatar
Tom
Posts: 14622
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Great find!

carcollector
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:00 pm
Location: Luxembourg
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby carcollector » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Tom wrote:Great find!

x 2 :D

User avatar
Zeus
Posts: 1564
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Contact:

Re: My Hot Wheels collection

Postby Zeus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Love that Supra, looks good as a regular version let alone a $TH
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.


Return to “1:64 And Smaller”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest