MCG Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III

Ecclesley

MCG Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III

Post by Ecclesley » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 am

This is a 1/18 scale Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III (Mulliner Park Ward special coachwork) by MCG (Model Car Group), a rather new player in the market of model cars. The design of this car has always given reason for debate. Many (even the manufacturer of this model) call it a Flying Spur, but that is wrong.
IMG_0026.JPG
The origins of this design lies with the H.J.M. Bentley S1 Continental, a car which was meant to be a two door saloon only. But H.J. Mulliner launched the idea of making a four door version as well. Initially Rolls Royce management declined, but H.J.M. persisted and got permission in the end. An S2 version (lower radiator) and the M.P.W. S3 version (twin headlights) followed. These cars were called the Bentley S1/2/3 Continental Flying Spur, the latter name relating to the coat of arms of Mulliner's managing director.
15303981042_982b68ed04_o.jpg
When the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III came on the market, Mulliner Park Ward, (MPW) designed a similar looking body on the SCIII chassis, but not with the Continental specs. as those belong to a Bentley exclusively, just like the Flying Spur type designation. But it does look similar, that is fact.
In real life this car is very rare, only 82 made and they fetch very high prices at auction. Many say it is the best looking Silver Cloud, and there I agree.
IMG_0024.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
THE ROAD TO HELL HAS BEEN DESIGNED BY PEOPLE WITH GOOD INTENTIONS.

Tom

Re: MCG Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III

Post by Tom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Very nice indeed. The colour fits it.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 am

Wonderful addition! Lovely looking model! ;)

Ecclesley wrote:... An S2 version (lower radiator) and the M.P.W. S3 version (twin headlights) followed...
So, the S2 and Silver Cloud II had indeed a lower radiator! Some months ago there was a brief discussion about it somewhere else in the forum, and it was said that S1/Silver Cloud I radiators were identical to S2/Silver Cloud II ones.

It's good to know this fact. At least for a RR-Bentley fan! 8-)
-Julio-

Ecclesley

Post by Ecclesley » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:Wonderful addition! Lovely looking model! ;)

Ecclesley wrote:... An S2 version (lower radiator) and the M.P.W. S3 version (twin headlights) followed...
So, the S2 and Silver Cloud II had indeed a lower radiator! Some months ago there was a brief discussion about it somewhere else in the forum, and it was said that S1/Silver Cloud I radiators were identical to S2/Silver Cloud II ones.

The lower radiator change only applies to the Bentley S2 and S3 Continental. Also from the S2, the Continental radiator inclined a little forward i.s.o. backward on the S1.

With the launch of the non Continental standard steel Bentley S3 and Silver Cloud 3 the complete front of the model was revised with a sloping bonnet which resulted in a slightly lower radiator, but not as low as the Continental.

See the pics (Bentley as sample) below:
When you look at the Standard Steel S1, S2 there is no difference in height. Only the S3 is lower.
Bentley S1 - 2-X2.jpg
When you look at the Continental S1, S2, you see that the radiator of the S2 is lower and inclined forward, the same goes for a S3 Continental.
large-cc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Ecclesley wrote:
DeadCanDanceR wrote:Wonderful addition! Lovely looking model! ;)

The lower radiator change only applies to the Bentley S2 and S3 Continental. Also from the S2, the Continental radiator inclined a little forward i.s.o. backward on the S1.

With the launch of the non Continental standard steel Bentley S3 and Silver Cloud 3 the complete front of the model was revised with a sloping bonnet which resulted in a slightly lower radiator, but not as low as the Continental.

See the pics (Bentley as sample) below:
When you look at the Standard Steel S1, S2 there is no difference in height. Only the S3 is lower.
Bentley S1 - 2-X2.jpg

When you look at the Continental S1, S2, you see that the radiator of the S2 is lower and inclined forward, the same goes for a S3 Continental.
large-cc.jpg
Oh! Now I understand, and now I see where my confusion began! ;)

Thanks, mate!
-Julio-

Ecclesley

Post by Ecclesley » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:10 am

This Silver Cloud III by MCG 1/18 also in red, now in my collection:
IMG_0023.JPG
Soon a third will be coming out in blue:
MCG 18057.jpg
And also these two Silver Wraiths:
MCG 18065.jpg

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Very nice! Must be huge models...

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:56 am

And it must be pretty impressive in the hand.
Jeff
ImageImage