My aircraft collection climbs into double figures!

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
Tom

Re: My aircraft collection climbs into double figures!

Post by Tom » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:11 am

I like that a lot!

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 pm

This sleepy thread awakens to he sound of ... a chopper! Not just any old whirlybird, but a Chinook, and not just any Chinook, either. My Antarctic Division has expanded, so make room for the Argentine Antarctic Brigade's Chinook helicopter.

This is a little 1/144 model (11cm or 4.3 inches long), originally of a US Army Chinook, a very nicely fitting and cheap kit made by Ace Corporation in South Korea.

The paint and markings scheme is based on photos found on Google Images. By my loose standards, it's fairly accurate. As usual, I made up all my own decals based on photo research.

While I'm not much of a helicopter fan, I'll make an exception for Chinooks, which I think are extremely cool.

Though almost invisible as tiny decals, I am very fond of these two. The one on the left shows the Islas Malvinas (known to Brexiters as the Falkland Islands, of course) and on the right is the official Argentinean logo for its Chinook division.

Finally, the Chinook, with its orange colouring, looks totally at home on my crowded Antarctic Division shelf.

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 pm

The chopper is very cool, you did a great job on the kit! Image
Luciano
:race_car: :checkered_flag: The Garage :checkered_flag: :race_car:

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:01 am

I feel a lot safer knowing that this helicopter is at the ready to rescue me :D

Another great build and a nice addition to the rescue fleet.
Jeff
ImageImage

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 am

There used to be a couple of Chinooks at the now defunct airbase near me. Cool beasts indeed.
You did a great job on the model.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Another addition to my small collection of Pilot Trainer planes. This one is the little De Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk.

The kit is a fairly good 1/72 scale one made by Polish company Amodel, who offers a good range of alternative subjects for people like me who don't really gives a rat's posterior about military fighters and bombers.

I first read about the Chipmunk in a very enjoyable book, "Think Like a Bird" by Alex Kimbell, the memoirs of a British pilot who trained on a Chipmunk then went on to all sorts of adventures in the Middle East. He wrote about his pilot instructors and the Chipmunk so well that I decided to build one.

I really should line up my trainer planes for a group shot some time soon. Chipmunk, Tiger Moth, Ryan PT 20, Piper Cub and Stearman Kaydet.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Very attractive looking plane. Nicely built too.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:16 am

Looks like a plane should. I just can't imagine a plane being named a Chipmunk today.
Jeff
ImageImage

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:19 am

I have been browsing your aircrafts and I have to say I feel the attraction of starting to collect them. I have built many models a teen, mosquitos, spitfires, messerschmitts etc... I feel that it would be nice to collect more peacfully oriented aircrafts nowadays. My first would be a DC-3 I think. I have to keep away from this thread now for a while. :oops: :shock:

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Yes, Johan, do stay away from this thread if you want to stop another whole branch of models filling your living spaces.

But should you succumb to temptation, a DC-3 is the ideal place to start. There are lots of cheap but still nice kits available in various scales. I've built a few DC-3s, and they are all 1/144, which gives you a nice-size model that fits onto a bookshelf. A 1/72 DC-3 is a much bigger proposition. There are also several after-market decal-set makers for 1/144 scale DC-3s, so you can shop around (try eBay) for a plane livery that takes your fancy.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Ozmac wrote:I've built a few DC-3s, and they are all 1/144, which gives you a nice-size model that fits onto a bookshelf.
I never really understood why modellers would bother with 1/144 when there are larger kits available with more detail. I guess they have the same display issues that we have, only that the wings make it 3 times worse. The smaller scale makes more sense to me now.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 am

Glad to be of help, Ian!

I for one am mostly interested in the shapes of things, and I don't care if I miss out on a lot of detail in my models. I've always loved sculpture as an art form, and I appreciate many (but not all) planes, cars and motorcycles for their shapes above all else. So a 1/144 DC-3 looks just as nice as a 1/72 one.

(The one thing with the detailed aircraft model-making thing that always amuses me is the loving care some builders devote to detailing the interior of the plane — which you mostly or completely can't see when the model is built.) I guess it keeps them happily occupied for hours.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:29 am

Ozmac wrote:(The one thing with the detailed aircraft model-making thing that always amuses me is the loving care some builders devote to detailing the interior of the plane — which you mostly or completely can't see when the model is built.) I guess it keeps them happily occupied for hours.
I agree Jamie. A friend here in Perth distributes Eduard accessories to upgrade model aircraft kits and I struggle to understand why modellers are willing to spend as much or more as they spend on a1/72 kit on upgrade items like fabric seatbelts, better wheels, landing flaps and engine exhausts.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen