Thunderbirds Are (still) Go

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
flyrr100

Thunderbirds Are (still) Go

Postby flyrr100 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:48 am

The Japanese are still obsessed with anything Thunderbirds. Here's a few of my models. The Thunderbird Two is big. It has hydraulic legs. And cost me around $300! The others are small, but soooo detailed.

jinx

Re: Thunderbirds Are (still) Go

Postby jinx » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:34 pm

I always felt a bit sorry for the one (Gordon?) stuck up there in space, in Thunderbird 5. Always wondered what he did to entertain himself :D

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:05 pm

I would love to have those models! :o

I loved the Thunderbirds when I was a child, and a couple of years ago I bought the whole series (and also Captain Scarlet) in DVD. It's been great watching those two series again!

By the way, the one stuck in Thunderbird 5 was John Tracy. They were Scott (T-1), Virgil (T-2), Alan (T-3), Gordon (T-4) and John (T-5). :)
-Julio-

CraigyGT

Postby CraigyGT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Cool! I also loved this programme when i was a wee nipper. The model designers had great imagination.

flyrr100

Postby flyrr100 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:45 pm

DeadCanDanceR wrote:By the way, the one stuck in Thunderbird 5 was John Tracy.

John used to trade off with Alan. I was never really sure about John. Nice pink sash. Alone up there. And why did he wear his gun? Hmmmmm... Questions that were never addressed!

flyrr100

Postby flyrr100 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:51 pm

I used to own these. Two versions of the JR21 Thunderbird Two from the 1960s. One made in England, and one in Hong Kong. I let them go as a pair on eBay for $400 a few years back.

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Postby RaceOddity » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:26 am

How cool is that... I always had a sweet spot for the little blonde in the outrageous limo... :lol: :lol:

dcast

Postby dcast » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:59 am

Cool stuff! That big and pricy model looks like it may be rare and much wanted treasure in the fans.

Haven't personally seen much Thunderbirds but as a fan of other tv-show (Knight Rider + other 80's action & adventure tv-series) I can relate to having merchandise, models, etc. collectibles from tv-shows, it's really fun especially with these older tv-shows when they still had imagination, original ideas and some kind of "magic" which is hard to define. I don't see modern reality tv-shows having that kind of "magic", there don't seem to be much merchandise either for today's shows.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:01 am

RaceOddity wrote:How cool is that... I always had a sweet spot for the little blonde in the outrageous limo... :lol: :lol:

Oh boy, I loved Lady Penelope, and her gloriously pink Rolls-Royce! :) I wanted to buy the model of that Rolls (Dinky Toys made it), but never could. Nowadays the mint ones are quite expensive! :(
-Julio-

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:52 am

The vehicles from the show look extremely cool. I have to admit, this show was never a part of my life. I have no recollection of it before the last few years.
I wonder if I was too old for it the first time around?
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:50 am

JSB33 wrote:The vehicles from the show look extremely cool. I have to admit, this show was never a part of my life. I have no recollection of it before the last few years.
I wonder if I was too old for it the first time around?

I loved the show when I was the 'correct' age, but I'm still watching them now when they come back around :lol: Easily one of the best children's shows ever made IMO - I know the puppets look a bit lame nowadays, but the sets and special effects were magnificent :D I imagine it was unusual to have a kids programme that lasted a full hour too.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:20 am

JSB33 wrote:I wonder if I was too old for it the first time around?

I don't think so, since we're about the same age, Jeff. I think that this show wasn't as popular in the USA as it was in other places. ;)
-Julio-

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:00 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:

I don't think so, since we're about the same age, Jeff. I think that this show wasn't as popular in the USA as it was in other places. ;)

Boy, I just don't remember this one. I liked Ultraman but I guess this one wasn't on at a convenient time or something.
Jeff
ImageImage

frenchy

Postby frenchy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:34 am

FAB........
Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:15 am

Interestingly enough. While walking thru the markdown store on Thursday, I came across the Thunderbirds Movie from 1965 for only $3
I shall be watching it soon.
Jeff
ImageImage

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Postby RaceOddity » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:38 am

Too funny Jeff, I wonder how it compares with that dope world police marionnete movie from a few years back... much better diction!! :mrgreen:

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:32 am

JSB33 wrote:
DeadCanDanceR wrote:

Boy, I just don't remember this one. I liked Ultraman but I guess this one wasn't on at a convenient time or something.

I loved Ultraman too! :o
-Julio-

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 pm

I was very lucky and did have the Dinky Toys "FAB 1" model, brought for me in 1967 (model only introduced in December 1966), so must have been an expensive buy for me by my parents!

Since then I have collected several examples and researched the model to record 14 versions spanning a 10 Year production period (1966 to 1976). I have done a book featuring all 14 versions with each model's detailed specification in order of introduction by Dinky.

I have a continuous slide show running of all the pages with pause function so you can stop each page for a better read.

Please see hear...http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... FFab%25201

Ghosthunter.

Batman

Postby Batman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:20 pm

Awesome collection, flyrr100!!!

Thanks for the presentation, ghosthunter! That's quite an information trove on "FAB 1"! One of my all time favorite TV cars!

I loved the Thunderbirds when I was little. I believe I only saw it for one season, but the few episodes I saw left quite an impression. Unfortunately, reruns of it never came to NYC TV when I was a kid. At least, not that I knew of.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:43 am

FABulous report, Ghosthunter! ;)

I was very close to buying one of those Dinky FAB1s, back in 1976 or 77, but I was Corgi kid, and preferred to spend my money on Corgis, even though I was a big fan of the Thunderbirds TV series!
-Julio-

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:08 am

Thank's Guys.

When the time came for a diecast model to be introduced, Corgi were so sure of getting the license they went ahead and built a working prototype with Four wheel steering. How shocked they must have been then, when Dinky got the license and issued their model right under the noses of Corgi!!

Ghosthunter.

Return to “Non Automotive Diecast”