Trains

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
David MG

Re: Trains

Post by David MG » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 am

I am waiting for the turn of the last century Royal loco pulling a trackballester.
Be a bit like a green ant towing a brick.
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 am

I was thinking Stephensons Rocket pulling a nuclear flask wagon? ;)

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:22 am

For those of you following this thread and wondering what on earth a Spam Can is, or indeed what Dave and i have been going on about rebuilt or not here is probably my favourite steam loco in a very unusual livery. This is 21C164, a Bullied Light Pacific Battle of Britain class 4-6-2 in ex works livery, which would when it entered service be repainted in the more familiar Soutern green and would be named Fighter Command.

The Bullied Light Pacifics used many revolutionaery techniques (for this country) in their construction such as welding, use of steel fireboxes, and oil lubricated chain driven valve gear.
They were extremly light and powerful for their size and 110 were built but certain aspects did cause problems so much so that 50 were rebuilt which unfortunately made them a lot heavier and consequently both types continued in service until the end of steam in 1967.

Fighter Command was the 1000th locomotive to be built at the Brighton Works completed in June 1946. It went on traffic duties in July 1947 and was formally named in September 1947 as Fighter Command. The loco was never rebuilt and was withdrawn from service in May 1966. The model is a limted edition of 1000 from Hornby.

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:48 am

Interesting. I like it.

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:08 am

To add to the name confusion we urchins used to refer to them as 'Box Streaks'. As compared to Gresley's A4 'Streaks.
Cheers,
David

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Rebuilt takes it by a whisker!

The air smoothed casing is certainly distinctive, but just a little too boxy for me. Even so, they do have a magnificent presence. The colour looks better than you might imagine too, although the axle boxes are a bit bright!
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:51 am

GBOAC002 wrote:Interesting. I like it.
Thanks Ian
David MG wrote:To add to the name confusion we urchins used to refer to them as 'Box Streaks'. As compared to Gresley's A4 'Streaks.
Makes sense. I've heard that before somewhere but had never put 2 and 2 together
guitardave_1 wrote:Rebuilt takes it by a whisker!

The air smoothed casing is certainly distinctive, but just a little too boxy for me. Even so, they do have a magnificent presence. The colour looks better than you might imagine too, although the axle boxes are a bit bright!
We shall agree to disagree. I love these as Paul will attest too. I'm thinking that it stayed this pristine for about 10 minutes in real life. Within a year it had been repainted the more familiar Southern green.

I'm on a loco roll at the moment. Another Southern loco and this one was the primary steam mover on the line which i live near and use to go to town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastings_line

Loco details as follows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_V_Schools_class

Model from Hornby

Andy
Andy

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 am

Another excellent choice Andy. This has neatly reminded me that 'Clan Line' will be passing through our town this very afternoon at 15.10 and hopefully putting out lots of steam. I shall make sure I pick a good vantage point.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Picture from today for the 'train gang':
ImageImage
Clan Line 35028 heads for London hauling Pullman cars Tuesday 21 December 2010.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:36 am

I wasn't so sure today :? You had me questioning myself Andy - the 'battleship' above is growing on me!

But Ian's pic of 35028 put me straight. That really is a gorgeous loco. Haven't had a chance to go after any railtours this year - always been at work :(

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:12 am

GBOAC002 wrote:Another excellent choice Andy. This has neatly reminded me that 'Clan Line' will be passing through our town this very afternoon at 15.10 and hopefully putting out lots of steam. I shall make sure I pick a good vantage point.
GBOAC002 wrote:Picture from today for the 'train gang':
ImageImage
Clan Line 35028 heads for London hauling Pullman cars Tuesday 21 December 2010.
Thanks Ian. Great shot too. Assume the diesel is acting as the brake
guitardave_1 wrote:
I wasn't so sure today :? You had me questioning myself Andy - the 'battleship' above is growing on me!

But Ian's pic of 35028 put me straight. That really is a gorgeous loco. Haven't had a chance to go after any railtours this year - always been at work :(
Few more BoBs in original form and you'll be converted......

Time for another one i think. Released as a limited edition to the Bachmann Collectors Club, this is Blue Peter, an A2 Pacific in its preservation livery.

Andy
Andy

stewil

Post by stewil » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:35 pm

It is fascinating to see trains from another continent.
Have thought about getting one old style engine in approx. 1/16th scale to fill out a transportation display, but am afraid it would be too big.
Wonder what scale that would be - hugeamongus?
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:43 am

I'm not sure they go as far as 1/16th scale. I'm not the expert though.

Tom - what scale is LGB? or even G scale?

Andy
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 am

Been a while so i thought i'd show you some more engines.

This next one is a rebuilt Merchant Navy Class which is the same class as the one in Ian's photo, however this particular loco Lamport & Holt Line was scrapped 1967

Some light reading on the class can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Merchant_Navy_class

Model is from Hornby and is in BR Green livery

Andy
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:57 am

This is a King Arthur N15 class express loco dating from 1925 although it stayed in service until 1959

Further reading can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_N15_class

Livery is BR Green and the model is from Hornby

Andy
Andy

Rat

Post by Rat » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm

scalainj wrote:Tom - what scale is LGB? or even G scale?

Andy
Well, LGB was famous for using a rubber ruler. I have locomotives where the length, width and height are in 3 different scales but generally they advertised their models as 1:22.5. The reason for that is that the track they use is 45 mm wide which scales up to (roughly) 1 meter gauge (European narrow gauge). Marklin is the new owner of LGB so we'll see if they are as generous with their tolerances. Based on the Marklin HO stuff, I'm not expecting any improvements.

G-scale is anything that runs on that same track - 1:32 is close to standard gauge using the 45 mm track gauge. Aristocraft makes trains in 1:29, which are too big to be standard gauge but their boxcars look OK with LGB's. Structures are mostly 1:24 so G-scale is a mismatch of anything between 1:22.5 and 1:32.

I really like the clean lines on the Merchant Navy Class loco. King Arthur wouldn't be very useful in Canada with the open cab... unless you're a polar bear.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:30 pm

MN looks as splendid as ever. Wanted to share a pic of Clan Line (if I haven't already) but don't have them on Photobucket and my rail pics website isn't playing ball. Not so sold on the style of the N15, although clearly longevity was in its repertoire.

What's the state of play with your trains Andy? Are you actually able to run them on anything currently, or is there anything of a layout to see? I'm toying with the idea of having to salvage expensive stuff from Ellensborough and make something that's more practical for the new house.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:32 am

OMG, Andy!!! :o

You surely have some great looking toys... 8-)
-Julio-

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:05 am

Rat wrote:
scalainj wrote:Tom - what scale is LGB? or even G scale?

Andy
Well, LGB was famous for using a rubber ruler. I have locomotives where the length, width and height are in 3 different scales but generally they advertised their models as 1:22.5. The reason for that is that the track they use is 45 mm wide which scales up to (roughly) 1 meter gauge (European narrow gauge). Marklin is the new owner of LGB so we'll see if they are as generous with their tolerances. Based on the Marklin HO stuff, I'm not expecting any improvements.

G-scale is anything that runs on that same track - 1:32 is close to standard gauge using the 45 mm track gauge. Aristocraft makes trains in 1:29, which are too big to be standard gauge but their boxcars look OK with LGB's. Structures are mostly 1:24 so G-scale is a mismatch of anything between 1:22.5 and 1:32.

I really like the clean lines on the Merchant Navy Class loco. King Arthur wouldn't be very useful in Canada with the open cab... unless you're a polar bear.
Thanks Tom.
Wouldn't it make life easier if they decided on one scale and stuck with it......

There is mention of tarpualins being used on the King Arthur class to protect them from the cold, but it made driving backwards difficult, not to mention tricky to coal
guitardave_1 wrote:MN looks as splendid as ever. Wanted to share a pic of Clan Line (if I haven't already) but don't have them on Photobucket and my rail pics website isn't playing ball. Not so sold on the style of the N15, although clearly longevity was in its repertoire.

What's the state of play with your trains Andy? Are you actually able to run them on anything currently, or is there anything of a layout to see? I'm toying with the idea of having to salvage expensive stuff from Ellensborough and make something that's more practical for the new house.
Thanks Dave. I really like the engine of the N15, although the tender is very old fashioned. Whilst i do like the rebuilds i'm still more of a fan of the originals

I can run them but it is not a permanent set up as yet so nothing to see really. i will be erecting something permanent but possibly not for a few years yet
DeadCanDanceR wrote:OMG, Andy!!! :o

You surely have some great looking toys... 8-)
Thanks Julio 8-)

Andy
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:24 am

Been a long time. M7 from Hornby in BR livery

Andy