My aircraft collection climbs into double figures!

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
Ozmac

My aircraft collection climbs into double figures!

Postby Ozmac » Thu May 17, 2012 12:56 am

I've taken delivery of what I expect to be the one and only aircraft model I will own. Having just finished an excellent book on the French Resistance during World War Two (written by Matthew Cobb), I was taken by the stories of the intrepid pilots of the British Westland Lysanders and their often near-suicidal night flights to ferry in SOE agents and supplies, and get others back over to Britain. Painted black and flying at night, they dodged the German air patrols, landed in ploughed fields, dropped off their cargo and took on their return cargo in a seriously scary hurry, then took off again in the dark, heading back home to Britain. So many harrowing stories....

And so, instead of getting one of the usual fighter planes that most people quite understandably love, I decided if I was going to have one just model aircraft it would be a hard-working unsung hero of the war.

It didn't take long to deep-etch this quickly taken photo of the model and pop it onto a blue sky background, so I prefer to present it in this way (obviously it sits on a conventional model plane stand in my cabinet). The model itself is 1:72 by Corgi (formal name Westland Lysander MkIIIA (SD) – V9367, No 161 Squadron, February 1942). It's number 1355 in a limited run of 2010 models.

The model also comes with a large, black torpedo-shaped container for carrying deliveries (the usual stuff for the French resistance – weapons, explosives, radios) which is slung under the plane, but as it does nothing for the plane's looks I have left that black lump in the box. The rear canopy (over the rear-facing machine-gunner) also comes off, but the gunner looked cold with it off.
Last edited by Ozmac on Sat May 11, 2013 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

sheepCrusher

Re: My first aircraft model

Postby sheepCrusher » Thu May 17, 2012 1:08 am

I likes this plane. Great story. 1/72 is a great scale to collect. Once you pop, you can't stop. Maybe I should get some more. Cars take too much of my money though.
The dog wet on the picnic basket

URQRR20V

Postby URQRR20V » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 am

Nice post Ozmac - Lysander was a very interesting aircraft to model - Airfix used to have it in their series too. I am intrigued by the book you mention and will have a look for it.

I am currently on with building my second Heller 1/125 scale Airbus A380 in First Flight livery (first was for my nephew and was so impressed with it bought one for myself) and after that an Airbus A400M 1/72 scale Revell model - its massive - see here and for the same price as 1x diecast its a bargain

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/pr ... _id=618942

I have a stack of Airfix WW1 fighter aircraft to build - my grandfather was fighter pilot in that war and flew SE5a aircraft.

**Add** Found it on Amazon and ordered - thanks. Have been looking for a book on FR for some time (in English) as wife is French and have heard many stories through her family and seen the villages affected ...

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Thu May 17, 2012 3:55 am

That photo reminded me of a scene from the "Thunderbirds" TV series! :)
-Julio-

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Thu May 17, 2012 4:09 am

You're absolutely right, Julio! The cheesy indoor lighting is an essential part of the fake look, and the little pilot inside the model does the rest.

The model was delivered mid-afternoon, I loved it as soon as I got it out of the box, so I put it on my office desk, turned on the halogen desk lamp and snapped away with my little mini digital camera. It was midway through doing that I then decided a quick-smart deep-etch & diorama was in order, and 10 minutes later it was done.

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 am

Lysander is a fine plane. Amazing STOL ability and the pilots (and passengers) were incredibly brave.

A really nice addition, but addictive as the others have mentioned.

So far i have managed to keep to just 2 aircraft

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 am

I remember when I bought my "one and only" plane.
There is a very big box of them right now :lol:

Great picture, Jamie.
Jeff
ImageImage

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Ozmac wrote:You're absolutely right, Julio! The cheesy indoor lighting is an essential part of the fake look, and the little pilot inside the model does the rest.

The pilot in your airplane model seems to be wearing International Rescue's uniform!!! :)

:)
-Julio-

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:42 pm

They warned me 1:72 scale planes don't stop at one, and after reading a great biography of early aviation pioneer Bert Hinkler, I just had to get one of the many planes he flew. The easiest to find turned out to be one I had a soft spot for anyway, the Sopwith Camel, and all Snoopy jokes aside, that's what I went looking for.

Ready-made 1:72 Sopwith Camels were thin on the ground (in the air?) but I did find this one built from a kit and sold cheaply enough on eBay. It's a bit rough around the edges but infinitely better than anything I could build, so I am happy to have it. My one major fudge in this case is that this model is the plane flown by Canadian Ace Roy Brown, and not by Hinkler (who never became a famous air ace in the war), but any Sopwith Camel would have done me, and I do believe Roy Brown was one hell of a guy, anyway. Edit: Roy Brown is the guy who was initially credited with the "kill" for shooting down the famous Red Baron Manfred von Richtofen, but since then it's thought the Red Baron was brought down my ground machine-gun fire from Aussies, as he was flying low over the Aussie entrenchments not long before he crashed and died. Roy Brown was, nevertheless, still a remarkable airman of that era.

Now, "who's Bert Hinkler?" I hear you ask. An Australian of German descent, he was an aviation-mad Aussie schoolboy when the Wright Brothers first flew, and by the age of 19 he (in 1911) had managed to build a glider which flew successfully several times. He started off as an airplane mechanic and stayed one for the next 7 years. He was in the UK when World War I started, joined the fledgling airforce as a mechanic and gunner and spent the next three years doing that. By late 1917 he had made it to Leiutenant and finally became a pilot and his first combat aircraft, flown in combat over Italy in 1918, was this plane, the tricky-to-fly but quite effective Sopwith Camel. The combination of its stubby wings and big radial engine made it an unstable but highly manoeuvrable thing, but Hinkler thrived it in as a pilot.

After the war he set countless solo long-distance records, the pinnacle of his achievements being the first to fly solo from England to Australia (in 15 days, in 1928). He was also the first to flow solo from Brazil to Senegal in Africa, crossing the South Atlantic alone. A national hero in Australia, he kept on flying in Europe and the US until he crashed and died over Italy while flying a Puss Moth, in 1933.
Last edited by Ozmac on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

URQRR20V

Postby URQRR20V » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:15 am

Cool. My grandfather was a WW1 Fighter Pilot in SE5a and fortunately we have a few pics of him in the plane.

As part of my Model Rail build have built a hangar and (probably) the same Airfix kit as you...

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:15 pm

That looks great, it's a captivating period in aviation, those early days. The life expectancy of those guys was so brief, the rapid development and willingness to experiment just amazing.

Like the diorama a lot!

URQRR20V

Re: My second aircraft model

Postby URQRR20V » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 am

Cheers. Its a Superquick card kit and easily available. Is an option on kit described as Engine shed IIRC

Indeed - after the war he was on a bottle of vodka a day for years according to my father.

Alot of the engines from these planes were then used in the early racers - simply dropped into a steel ladder chassis - mental. I think one car actually had 2 engines connected!

Ozmac

My latest aircraft models

Postby Ozmac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:00 am

Well, it's been a while since I have bought anything diecast, due to that common ailment known as unemployment. But now that the economic skies overhead have changed from dark clouds to patches of sunshine (with showers), enough work is trickling in that I can afford about $50 a month of frivolous extravagances (ie, diecast purchases) and so this is what I've blown my first 50 bucks worth on. Not cars, but nice old birds.

Herpa makes a good range of 1:500 scale diecast planes, and I've always wanted a Connie, a Super Constellation. There's one still flying every weekend at an air museum about 100km south of Sydney, and I've seen it in the air several times. What a beautiful plane.

And this dark and grainy photo is of a Douglas DC-3 Berlin Airlift plane, also a 1:500 Herpa (just 19 bucks!). As a kid in Sydney I remember them fondly, droning by so very slowly but steadily.

I love civilian planes for some reason. I have nothing against your Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mirages, Harriers and FA18s, but there's something about civilian planes that I like just a bit more. Next month my 50 bucks is going to buy a 1:500 Herpa Concorde (Air France, naturalment) and if I get lucky on eBay there's old German Junkers JU52s out there, trusty Dutch Fokker Friendships too.

URQRR20V

Postby URQRR20V » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:17 am

V nice. There is one near here at the Munich Airport Museum, plus a Dakota and the Trimotor (the one with three engines that Hitler flew)

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:36 am

Fan of the Constellation/Super family here to, DC3 is another great one.
Prop Liners are my favorites.
Jeff
ImageImage

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Another fan of the Constellation! ;)
-Julio-

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Glad to hear that things are on the up Jamie. I don't know my planes at all, but I'm glad you're able to indulge yourself a little again :)
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

Ozmac

Re: My latest aircraft models

Postby Ozmac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22 am

Two more, on the same day, too.

Junkers JU52, in Lufthansa livery, another 1:500 scale model from Herpa.

Sooooo much bigger than the Junkers, yet still 1:500, a Herpa model of a Concorde. Though I'm a prop plane guy mostly, gotta have a Concorde. I checked out the prototype of the Concorde (I think it was at Bovington?) in the UK in 1986 – my memory is a bit hazy after all these years – and was blown away by how small and tube-like the Concorde was inside. That didn't stop me loving it from the outside though.

URQRR20V

Re: My 5th and 6th aircraft models

Postby URQRR20V » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

Jamie - as promised (and apologies for the thread hijack) here are the pictures I took at the Munich Air Museum yesterday evening whilst picking up the OH from booziness trip 8-)

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 am

Sweet! With ice-cream, plus a cherry and a wafer on top!

Paul, feel free to hijack this thread any old time you like, sir, and thanks for the great photos of 'my' planes and those handy little info panels, too.

URQRR20V

Postby URQRR20V » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 am

No worries - one more location to add to your European Grand Tour heh? :mrgreen:

If you are into trains (model or prototype) I have suggestions for that also...

David MG

Postby David MG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 am

Jamie,
Comparison of a Connie and a Jumbo in 1/400

Cheers,
David

URQRR20V

Postby URQRR20V » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 am

Excellent - who is the manfr of each model?

David MG

Postby David MG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 am

URQRR20V wrote:Excellent - who is the manfr of each model?

Both by Gemini Jets.

Comparison 1/400 747 to 1/144 Corgi Connie

Last edited by David MG on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
David

Return to “Non Automotive Diecast”