My aircraft collection climbs into double figures!

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
JSB33
Site Admin

Re: My aircraft collection climbs into double figures!

Postby JSB33 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:52 am

Brrrrrr. :D

They look great and they all tell a story which is even better
Jeff
ImageImage

David MG

Postby David MG » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:27 am

Ozmac wrote:Just expanded the Polar parking lot ice-field ... the diorama figures will fit in somewhere here ...

Stop playing with tiddlers and get stuck into this Jamie!

Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Funny you should mention that one, David. That self-same Amodel Li-2 kit arrived by mail about a week ago!

David MG

Postby David MG » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:04 am

Ozmac wrote:Funny you should mention that one, David. That self-same Amodel Li-2 kit arrived by mail about a week ago!

SPOOKY :o
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:34 pm

Here's something I rarely build: a military plane. If you don't recognise it, that's because it's a bit rare to European warplane enthusiasts, but Australians know of it, as it served us well in WWII. It's an American-built Vultee Vengeance, a dive bomber piloted by RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) crews which saw a fair bit of action against the Japanese in the Pacific War. The Indian Air Force also had some Vultee Vengeances.

The reason I've built it is that a friend bought the kit and asked me to build it. His 95-year-old father was a Vultee pilot in the Pacific War, and luckily enough we found a decal-maker who had the correct markings for my friend's father's 24th Squadron. We couldn't get the markings for his dad's plane (which was E GR, not AGR), unfortunately, but a 24th Squadron plane is pretty close.

As usual with all my beginner's builds there are several blemishes, and quite frankly building a model for someone else to critically judge makes this my one of least-favourite model builds so far, just because of the pressure to not stuff up! However, I just hope my friend's dad gets some pleasure out of looking at it. The plane is sitting up on paint pots as his dad wanted the model built with wheels up, as it will be displayed suspended by lines in "flying" mode.

The Vultee was conceived on the coat-tails of the German Stuka's success. While the Stuka was quickly found wanting on the Western Front against heavy AA batteries and fighters chasing it, the Vultee performed much better against less well organised defences set up on all manner of Pacific Islands by the retreating Japanese.

My friend's father says their main threat in the war was the US AA batteries at their own home base. They were a bit trigger-happy if you flew directly back to the airstrip over the bay, so the procedure was to take the long way round to land back at the airstrip. If you were running out of fuel or damaged in any way and you couldn't take the long way round, and had to fly in over the water, your troubles were by no means over ...

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:16 am

Looks like your build skills are up to the job, great result!

johann.nunweiller

Postby johann.nunweiller » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:43 am

de Havilland DH.88 Comet
Beautiful airplane!

Featherless_Biped

Postby Featherless_Biped » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:50 am

Looks good to me. :) I"m sure you'll feel better about this project when your friend's father sees it. I'll bet he will think it's pretty nice. Maybe have some stories to tell. It's win/win. ;)

RT

Jager

Postby Jager » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:07 am

Great work Jamie. I doubt a 95 year old is going to criticize anything.

I've never heard of a Vultee Vengeance before. Will have to ask my mate whose into planes about it. Who makes the kit, and what scale ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Ian
It's a 1/72 kit made by Special Hobby, a Czech outfit. Quite a nice kit, with a few resin parts such as the motor and cockpit interior. It all went together fairly nicely in the end.

Jager

Postby Jager » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks Jamie. I've passed on the detail to my mate.

I'm surprised its only 1/72 scale. I was thinking it was bigger than that based on the details.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:18 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Special-Hobby-1-72-Vultee-Vengeance-Mk-I-II-SH72034-/262381851413?hash=item3d172d5315:g:6HIAAOSwBLlVes~y

Hope this mega eBay linky works, as I checked on eBay and it seems there might be a few different varieties of the model, but this is the box artwork with the Australian livery on the decal sheets. We ended up using after-market decals, but the original kit has Aussie markings as this Vultee saw more action with Aussie pilots compared to any other nation in WWII.

David MG

Postby David MG » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:40 am

Hi Jamie,
This is only a suggestion NOT a criticism but I think an overall light eggshell varnish would improve it.
Looking at period and resto. pics they were never completely mat. It would also give 3 advantages, decals would be the same sheen as body, they would last longer and not peel off with age and finally would make the model more durable.
Nevertheless a great build.

PS If you use my suggestion practice on something else first!
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:12 am

Thanks for that, David, you're probably quite right, but I am running out of time, as the model will be picked up tomorrow.

Anzac Day is coming up next Monday, on April 25, and so my mate's dad's Vultee will be making its way north to his ex-servicemen's village to be placed in the cabinet on the 25th.

My mate's dad is a remarkable guy, as fit as a fiddle (just bought a new BMW car to replace his old Beemer) but I am sure he'd rather see the model THIS Anzac Day, rather than the next.

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:36 am

Talk about a quick build, this kit was lovely in its simplicity and utterly horrible in the way it fitted together. Only took a week to build it.

Nevertheless, my Polar Division (known to its members as the "Ski Bums") has a new addition, a Lisunov Li-2. The kit itself is in 1/144 scale, which makes the model about the same physical size as all my other 1/72 scale light planes fitted with skis. It's made by Amodel, a Ukrainian outfit, who has the very commendable positive of making lots of unusual planes that are attractive to me, but the sad negative of being all over the shop when it comes to the quality of the kits. Some are fine, others rough. This one was a roughie.

And if you think "hang on, I know that plane" you're right. It's a Douglas DC-3 built under licence in Russia during and after WWII.

The kit's fuselage halves sort-of fitted together, but when it came time to put together the wings I was faced with a gap of a full 1/8 inch (3mm) between the upper sides of the wings and the fuselage on both sides. Lots of filler needed!

I love that red and white colour scheme. Looks good in the snow, probably would be easy to spot out there in Siberia, too.

Its winter woolies include little covers to keep the air-cooled radial engine warm.

Tom

Postby Tom » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:41 am

Very nice Jamie! You did a great job building it despite the kit's quality. The end result is a very charming plane.

David MG

Postby David MG » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:51 am

Tom wrote:Very nice Jamie! You did a great job building it despite the kit's quality. The end result is a very charming plane.

Ditto.

Don't they also do this in 1/72?

Image[/quote]
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:04 am

Not sure about the 1/72 version David, haven't looked, but I am happy with another 1/144 DC-3 ... it's my third!

David MG

Postby David MG » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:43 am

Ozmac wrote:Not sure about the 1/72 version David, haven't looked, but I am happy with another 1/144 DC-3 ... it's my third!

I've got about 10, mainly Corgi aviation.
Have you tried looking at 1/148 (N Gauge) vehicles? Oxford do an expanding range including a Mk.I Landy. They go quite well with 1/144 planes, difference in scale is unnoticable.
Cheers,
David

Batman

Postby Batman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Amazing aviation collection!!! WOW!!! :D

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:53 am

Another beautiful propliner of the 1950s, the Bristol Britannia. A very pretty plane, up there with the Connie in the looks department. And that BOAC livery is like a tailor-made suit — all planes look sharp in a BOAC outfit.

The kit itself is in 1/144 scale, a new kit by Roden, a Ukrainian company that makes a lot of kits of interesting and unusual planes. Everything went together very tidily and easily in the build, and the only snag proved to be ultra-thin, fragile decals. The first one I lowered into the water, the large blue tailfin piece, immediately broke into two pieces. Fortunately I've made a habit of scanning every decal sheet I use, so I was able to print out some OK-but-not-great backup decals, but this is a model which definitely has a "good" side and an "oh dear" side. You're looking at the good side, by the way.

The Bristol Britannia story is one of the plane's development being delayed by various problems, and by the time it got into service in early 1957 the game-changing Boeing 707 was only two years away (appearing for the first time in 1959). Though the Britannia was a lovely, sophisticated propliner, it was also the end of the line for this type of plane. They never made a lot of these (only 86 of them), but those that were sold then provided excellent service for many years. If the notes on my model box are accurate, the last of the Britannias were still flying passengers and cargo in the early 1990s.

David MG

Postby David MG » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:12 am

Jamie, a nice build. It will weigh a lot less than my diecast Corgi!
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:53 am

Indeed it does, David, but it does need 30g (1oz) of lead sinkers added to the nose section to stop it tipping onto its tail. All the plastic models of propliners with wheels under the wings and a nose wheel tend to have a tail-heavy weight balance problem.

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:49 am

Lovely plane, Jamie. I also have the Corgi diecast version of this one.
Jeff
ImageImage

Return to “Non Automotive Diecast”