'Ellensborough' N Gauge Railway

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
guitardave_1

'Ellensborough' N Gauge Railway

Post by guitardave_1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:46 am

Some of you have seen this already, but it says 'trains' in the forum title, so why not! I believe that the loco bodies are actually diecast, although that's pretty much where the similarities with the two hobbies ends.

'Ellensborough' is my N gauge model railway layout that I started just over a year ago. N scale varies across the world, but for British models it is 1:148. To put that in context, 12 inches in the real world equates to about 2mm on the model!

It is very much a long term project, with a few hours and a few pounds to spend on it from time to time. It's based on the 'Western Region' of British Railways in the early 1960s. This period allows a mix of steam and diesel locomotives.

If you want to see all the photos of progress so far, click this link to the album. To keep the thread under control I'll just post a few select images to give an idea. I need to take a few more to show some of my new bits from Christmas.

This is the track plan

Some of the track laid

Starting the scenery at one end

More scenic work

Weathering some of my wagons

Garden details

The first scenic corner is taking shape
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: 'Ellensborough' N Gauge Railway

Post by JSB33 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:38 am

Always glad to see more pic of the 'road, Dave
I almost feel as i have seen it in person and have enjoyed watching it evolve.
Jeff
ImageImage

frenchy

Post by frenchy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:36 pm

JSB33 wrote:Always glad to see more pic of the 'road, Dave
I almost feel as i have seen it in person and have enjoyed watching it evolve.
Yup,
I'm with Jeff on that one Dave.......patiently awaiting the next instalment :roll:
Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

jinx

Post by jinx » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Excellent Dave - it is coming along nicely - I don't know how you have the patience.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Thank you all. I'm glad you're enjoying it! 'Watched it evolve' sounds rather final though Jeff, when in fact rather the opposite is true. Even with the time spent so far, I would say that 90% of the baseboard is still bare :shock:

Frenchy - wait no longer!! A few new pics for you.

I've been pretty busy. The track to the turntable and engine shed is laid, and the turntable itself is in place. A router (sp?) proved the best answer for cutting the turntable hole, followed by careful sanding for a snug fit. It's working nicely though - pretty smooth transitions from turntable to all of the roads, and the wiring is all working as intended too!

The other big job has been to start scratchbuilding the roundhouse shed. It's inspired by photos, but I have designed the model myself. Although shown in the pictures, it's far from complete currently. Apart from a few tweaks, the main structure is done, but it still needs doors, capping stones all around and details such as drainpipes.

The other new addition is "Dragon" - a diesel loco specific to the region that I'm modelling. It's a new release, and the detailing is excellent. Running is also superb so far. If only the steamer would run like that too!

Overview of the yard

Turntable and Shed

Dragon

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi Dave

Its excellent. I'm really impressed. Tempting me to go N guage is this.

Keep it coming

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:55 pm

scalainj wrote:Hi Dave

Its excellent. I'm really impressed. Tempting me to go N guage is this.

Keep it coming

Andy
Thanks Andy! I'm always spending a few hours here and there, but often there's not much to post, at least until all the work cumulates into something.

I reckon I need to tempt a good few people to even up things a little - before this forum my interest in diecast really had waned to almost nothing at times. Now, I'm searching shops and making lists like there's no tomorrow!

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Dave ,

I havent really commented in the past about your railway set up , but I have to say that I am very impressed with what you have achieved so far.

The layout looks fantastic and all of the scratch built buildings and landscape are amazing , even more so with this being your first attempt at stuff like this .
Huge respect for what you have done till now , keep up the good work buddy ;)

Any chance you could plonk one of your 1/18s in the centre of the layout and take a pic....Im interested to see how it compares to the railway
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Sir Gary wrote:Dave ,

I havent really commented in the past about your railway set up , but I have to say that I am very impressed with what you have achieved so far.

The layout looks fantastic and all of the scratch built buildings and landscape are amazing , even more so with this being your first attempt at stuff like this .
Huge respect for what you have done till now , keep up the good work buddy ;)

Any chance you could plonk one of your 1/18s in the centre of the layout and take a pic....Im interested to see how it compares to the railway
Thanks for the kind words Gary. It really is much appreciated - it's really encouraging when a 'neutral' observer thinks it's looking ok. I had no idea what I was doing or getting into a year ago, but I hope it continues to be as satisfying.

For reasons not worth boring you with, the 1/18s are all boxed and stored elsewhere at the moment. There are still 4 that have only got as far as the boxed stage though, so I might be able to manage something. Watch this space!

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Lovely layout Dave. I like the small details , looks great.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:01 am

CraigyGT wrote:Lovely layout Dave. I like the small details , looks great.
Thanks Craig. It's a long time since I updated this thread - the diecast have been taking my attention recently.

I will get some pics though, as there is some progress to show. All of the track is now laid and wired up, so the yard area is looking pretty different compared to those last photos. I have also decided to have a go at motorising the operation of the points, and bought enough bits from a local shop to try it out. One set is done, so I gradually need to buy and fit the motors for the rest. I also bought a kit of a water tower because I fancied doing something a bit more on the scenic side. That's built and painted too, so all that remains is to take a couple of piccies!

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Few weeks back i had a few diesels that may have interested you Dave. Graham Farish class 20 and a class 33 , both in BR Green. Let them go in the local paper for pennies.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:05 am

This really is a poor and neglected thread :oops: I haven't lost interest, but for whatever reason I have been lacking inspiration/enthusiasm the last few months.

There is very little in the way of news, but yesterday I did pick up another new loco, which in turn got me out into the garage. After a quick clean of the track and a running in session for the loco, there was some action on Ellensborough once more. Annoyingly, one of the wagons constantly derailed over one point, for reasons not yet discovered. That seems to be a trait of this hobby, for every job you complete, another two crop up :shock:

I really do hope to get things moving again though, and start to extend the scenery. In the meantime, I will try and get some new pics to refresh this thread a little!

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:08 am

Maybe the railway is more of a winter project?
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:46 am

JSB33 wrote:Maybe the railway is more of a winter project?
People on railway forums often seem to suggest that they work on a seasonal basis, but I've not seen any pattern for me personally. The inspiration just seems to ebb and flow every few months. I amused myself just playing trains for a while yesterday though, and it has encouraged me to press on again. I need to make some decisions about where the scenery is going next...

David MG

Post by David MG » Wed May 27, 2009 7:07 am

Dave,
Got a Minitrix Western choc. and cream if you want it FOC.
Cheers,
David

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 pm

Have you done any more work to this Dave? Love to keep track of projects like this.

Tonight whilst clearing out the spare room i found a list i kept of all my 00 Gauge items , just to keep track of my spending at the time. Maybe this will interest you? :D

Locos/DMU's :

Hornby Class 142 Pacer DMU - Northern Spirit
Bachmann class 158 Express Sprinter DMU - Central Trains
Bachmann Class 170 Turbostar DMU - Central Trains
Hornby Class 155 Sprinter DMU - Regional Red
Hornby 125 First Great Western + 7 Coaches Inc Buffet car
Bachmann Class 66 - EWS
Hornby Class 60 - EWS
Hornby Twin Class 58 ( 1 Dummy car ) - EWS
Lima Class 20 - DRS
Bachmann Motorised Plasser track tamper
Bachmann Class 66 - Railfreight distribution
Bachmann Class 37 - EWS
Hornby Class 56 - EWS

Road vehicles :

Corgi OOC plaxton Beaver - East Yorkshire
EFE Plaxton Paramount 3500 - Arriva Shires & Essex
Corgi OOC Van Hool Alize - Shearings

Had about 10 more buses , but forgot to add them to the list. All Arriva & East Yorkshire by Corgi , EFE & CMNL

50+ Carama 1:72 modern road cars + Trucks

Scenics :

Hornby Skaledale Boars Head pub and a lot more small details like Refuse skips , recycle banks , Post boxes , Metcalfe low relief kit buildings , Knightwing Twin portacabins etc......

Think you get the idea anyway :lol:

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:42 am

CraigyGT wrote:Have you done any more work to this Dave? Love to keep track of projects like this.
Quite a collection you were building there Craig!

I haven't made huge progress over the summer to be honest Craig. Partly due to builders next door using our garage for storage - I couldn't get near the layout for a couple of months, and when I did the dust and dirt that needed removing was horrendous. I eventually faced up to it the other day, and started building the basic structure for a new scenic area too.

For the third time (at least) I will try and take some updated photos to show everyone how things are going. More importantly, I will also try and start making more regular progress with the project again.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:20 am

I was wondering what was going on with the road.
More of a winter time thing anyway, right Dave?
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:48 pm

JSB33 wrote:I was wondering what was going on with the road.
Maybe so Jeff. Although it's also due in no small part to me diverting my time back to diecast this year. Hopefully I can manage some of each over the next few months!

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:
Maybe so Jeff. Although it's also due in no small part to me diverting my time back to diecast this year. Hopefully I can manage some of each over the next few months!
A bit off topic, Dave but did you know that we have "known" each other for just about 4 years now?
It seems longer (in a good way :mrgreen: ) Seeing the progress of the Railroad reminded me that we have been talking for a long time.
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:03 pm

JSB33 wrote:
guitardave_1 wrote:
A bit off topic, Dave but did you know that we have "known" each other for just about 4 years now?
It seems longer (in a good way :mrgreen: ) Seeing the progress of the Railroad reminded me that we have been talking for a long time.
It does almost seem longer than that Jeff. The railway is only 2 years old in comparison!

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:11 pm

UPDATE!

Hold onto your hats - there are actually some new photos :shock: Like I said, there isn't such a lot of progress to show since I last took some pictures, but hopefully things will keep developing over the next few months.

First, a shot to give an overall feel of what has changed. All the track is now in place and wired up for the carriage/goods yard. One point is motorised, but I will be doing more - it's a lot easier than I expected. Also started some groundwork around the engine shed, but forgot to take a close up picture. The white stuff is a modelling filler, and so far only the area in front of the shed has actually been painted and textured to resemble earth. Finally, in the background is the woodwork for the next raised area of scenery. The plan is that once again the hard shape of this will gradually be disguised by the scenic work.

Next up, a water tower kit that I bought and made when I couldn't decide what else to do! Only an afternoon's work, but it should look the part when in situe.

And a couple of pics to show off the newest loco in the fleet. Spot the Morris Traveller too!

CraigyGT

Post by CraigyGT » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Can't beat a good old class 37 , true workhorse! Thanks for the updated pics.

Do you remember this old TV add? :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7naLLeB0A