Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
Tom

Re: Ahoy, shipmates: Ozmac gets into deeper water with his ships

Postby Tom » Tue May 31, 2016 6:22 am

Cool!

Featherless_Biped

Postby Featherless_Biped » Tue May 31, 2016 9:55 am

Very nice, Jamie. Is Pam of Nordic heritage?

Now thanks to Jamie's recommendation some time ago, my SO and I are also addicted to Vikings, the TV series. We have watched all the episodes and have learned a lot about the culture of our ancestors.

We have a viking ship on display that was built many years ago by my SO's father. We don't know anything about the maker of the kit or the name (if any) of the ship. It was interesting to compare this with the real ships on display in the Oslo museum as well as the ships in the TV series.

RT

Tom

Postby Tom » Tue May 31, 2016 1:41 pm

Wow, superb work!

johann.nunweiller

Postby johann.nunweiller » Tue May 31, 2016 2:12 pm

Beautiful!

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Tue May 31, 2016 2:55 pm

Wow, that's a nice one, RT. Very nice.

And yes, Pammy's ancient ancestors were Vikings as far as we know, but on my grandmother's side, so were mine. My grandma came from the Shetland Islands which lie to the north of Scotland, half-way between Scotland and Norway, and apparently the Vikings settled those islands a long long time ago. Pam's surname is a typical "English-name-of-Viking-ancestry" surname.

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Pictured here on its maiden voyage (which is why it's so clean) is the Shell Welder, a 1000-tonne small British coastal tanker built in the 1950s. The kit is an old Frog kit repackaged by Modelcraft, and it was a shocker to build. Its one redeeming feature was that the two hull halves matched up pretty well, but it was a shame the other 178 parts didn't fit so well. Lots and lots of filing and filling. The finished model is about 15.5 inches long (40cm).

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:34 pm

I had the original FROG kit, the biggest kit of my modelling career at that time. Sadly it is no more, but I have a few of the smaller parts left in a jam jar somewhere, would love to get them out and think back to when it was a full kit... :D

Ghosthunter.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Pretty impressive looking model! :)

Water looks amazingly real! :o :o :o
-Julio-

Tom

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:25 am

For a kit that required a lot of work, the end result is really impressive! As said, you've managed to make very realistic-looking water.

David MG

Postby David MG » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:33 am

Well done Jamie! All you have to do now is make it's twin in it's laden state :lol:
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:24 am

Revisiting that kit is very low, low down on my job list. If I make it to 140 years old I might get back to it, so unladen maiden voyage it is for the very long meantime, David.

I've left the shipyards for the meantime. Working on a Bristol Britannia down at the aircraft factory right now ...

grinbergs

Postby grinbergs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 am

Another impressive build. Well done Jamie! :)

Batman

Postby Batman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Superb!!! You've got skills!!!

Batman

Postby Batman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:43 pm

ghosthunter wrote:I had the original FROG kit, the biggest kit of my modelling career at that time. Sadly it is no more, but I have a few of the smaller parts left in a jam jar somewhere, would love to get them out and think back to when it was a full kit... :D

Ghosthunter.

What happened to it?

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:58 am

If it was a bad kit you couldn't tell by the results, you pulled it off like a champ.
Love the looks of this one.
Jeff
ImageImage

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Batman wrote:
ghosthunter wrote:I had the original FROG kit, the biggest kit of my modelling career at that time. Sadly it is no more, but I have a few of the smaller parts left in a jam jar somewhere, would love to get them out and think back to when it was a full kit... :D

Ghosthunter.

What happened to it?

I do not remember what happened to it, likewise I had the 'MERIT' Viking long ship and still have some of the shields from along the side and I think I have a few of the rowing oars kept in the same Jam Jar.

It is amazing where a lot of our toys and models go and we can not remember what happens to them, especially as I was very careful with my toys and models and it was the model kit side of my hobby that took hold of me, before I became a serious diecast collector. I do still have kits from my childhood that I made and painted such as the smaller scale HMS Victory, Apollo 11 Sikorsky 'Sea King' Helicopter, Ariel Motorcycle and various cars, all from Airfix.

Ghosthunter.

Batman

Postby Batman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:44 pm

ghosthunter wrote:I do not remember what happened to it, likewise I had the 'MERIT' Viking long ship and still have some of the shields from along the side and I think I have a few of the rowing oars kept in the same Jam Jar.

It is amazing where a lot of our toys and models go and we can not remember what happens to them, especially as I was very careful with my toys and models and it was the model kit side of my hobby that took hold of me, before I became a serious diecast collector. I do still have kits from my childhood that I made and painted such as the smaller scale HMS Victory, Apollo 11 Sikorsky 'Sea King' Helicopter, Ariel Motorcycle and various cars, all from Airfix.

Ghosthunter.

I have no clue what happened to the few models I built when I was a kid either. They came out nicely as I recall. Oh well, we gain some, we lose some... C'est la vie! :)

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Additional to the above kits, I had most of the Navy Ships from Airfix as well, but when my lock-up garage was broken into, many were just thrown against the garage wall for fun, including most of my Father's collection of advertising Milk bottles. This is when and where my entire collection of Corgi, Dinky and Matchbox models were stolen, but fortunately my Rolls-Royce collection was secure in the House.

Ghosthunter.

Batman

Postby Batman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:20 pm

ghosthunter wrote:Additional to the above kits, I had most of the Navy Ships from Airfix as well, but when my lock-up garage was broken into, many were just thrown against the garage wall for fun, including most of my Father's collection of advertising Milk bottles. This is when and where my entire collection of Corgi, Dinky and Matchbox models were stolen, but fortunately my Rolls-Royce collection was secure in the House.

Ghosthunter.

That is just horrible! Vandals and thieves have no respect whatsoever!

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:15 pm

It had been raining in the morning with puddles of water still hanging around the garage area on the tarmac. Amazingly they took out my pushbike, rode it around the gangways where the other garages are and put it back, because you could follow the tire marks as it came out of my garage, through the puddles, across the dry areas and back into my garage!!

If only they had played with my model cars and put them back, I would not have been so mad and upset by it all!

I only found out models had been stolen when at a toy fair I saw a Dinky Toys Ford Corsair in Silver-Grey with added details like registration plates and extra detailed painting to make the model look more realistic. I said to Father that the Guy has painted his model the same as I had.

Then looking inside the box for a Dinky toys Ford Capri, I noticed it had been painted in metallic Green, but there were a few areas that needed completing. I thought, that's strange, this also looks like a model I had done. I opened another box and the same thing and now the penny was dropping, these were my models, how can they be on the stall holder's table!

I approached the Guy and said to him.."I bet I could identify any one of those models in them boxes before you take them out of the box". He said he was not sure why we was doing this but played along and sure enough, every model was identified correctly by me and he could not understand how this was happening.

The Police was called, it went to court, they caught a Guy and told him to pay compensation to me which he did. I never actually saw him and I never got any of the models back!

Compensation was £150, not even the tip of the Ice berg for the total value of all the models and plastic kits he stole from my garage. Not all of the models were hand painted, only half a Dozen or so because they had become chipped anyway and I decided to smarten them up, the rest of the collection were mint in boxes or mint unboxed, but still very collectible and we are talking early to mid 1980's.

Ghosthunter.

Batman

Postby Batman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:47 am

ghosthunter wrote:
Compensation was £150, not even the tip of the Ice berg for the total value of all the models and plastic kits he stole from my garage.

Ghosthunter.

A shame! The police should have confiscated the stolen items from the thief! The court should have made him pay not only restitution, the judge should have ordered the return of your belongings. That is not right!

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 am

Sounds like a job for some sort of caped crusader to make right. 8-)
Jeff
ImageImage

Batman

Postby Batman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:47 am

JSB33 wrote:Sounds like a job for some sort of caped crusader to make right. 8-)

Awriiight!!! SuperJeff is back in action!

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:51 am

Is it a Bird, is it a plane, no its...er, SuperJeff... :(

Ghosthunter.

Return to “Non Automotive Diecast”