New diecast maker

News, Rumors and Gossip
Galaxy Gaz

Re: New diecast maker

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Wed May 20, 2015 1:12 pm

JSB33 wrote: Gerry realizes that at the price point these are going to have to sell at, its going to need some improvements.

Which would be what ?......because that statement scares me and makes me think of Hot wheels quality at Spark prices .
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Thu May 21, 2015 12:51 am

JSB33 wrote:Ian, I have been having that exact conversation. To me, there is way too much chrome in use.
But if you look at my picture, there is no more chrome than an actual dragster. And the body is largely accurate except for the sunken windshield. It's the paint, finish and lettering that scream "children's toy" to me. The supercharger should probably be polished aluminum rather than chrome. The wheels need a black wash to bring out details and make them look more expensive. Some blueing of the exhaust would add to the realism.

Once again I ask - Is this a model of an actual car or a fantasy prototype? That particular shade of orange and blue looks cheap. The lettering looks like a kid's toy; specifically how some lines have a thick black outline and others have none. Pure white and black instead of more muted shades. Are those graphics accurate to the 1:1 version? The 2 auto parts company decals look unusually large.

Most drag cars were built in a garage and the money went into the motor instead of professional paint and lettering. Body modifications only served to get the job done. These things combine to make the average drag racer look like an amateur job and so any model would also look half-assed. If this guy wants to make a go of it, we have to be able to compare the model to photos of an actual car with similar features in order to judge the quality.

I also think people want to see well-known race cars, and that means licensing. Rail dragsters aren't much to look at and there isn't much obvious variation between them. I wouldn't start my company with those. 1933 and 1940 Willys gassers are an icon of the early sport and there are several famous ones like Malco, Stone, Wioods & Cook, and John Mazmanian. But I think the real sweet spot is Funny Cars. Ramchargers, Thunderjets, Hemi Under Glass, Mongoose & Snake. The aluminum and fiberglass Pontiacs had a big following too. Stuff that looks similar to street cars.

The drag race market is under-served in 1:43 but I'm not sure how big it is to start with. Better to take a tip from the Replicarz Indy 500 series and do the champions for Funny Car and A/Gas for each year. Get Hot Rod Magazine to do a feature on the company beforehand to gauge what the market is.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:45 am

When I am allowed to divulge the pricing I will, Its not going to be IXO money....

Remember this is just a test shot, not a final rendering. Colors and lettering have already been revised.
This is the first prototype to have color on it.

I don't know much about drag racing cars of the era so I am deferring to others as to how details should look. I do know that I am not a fan of all the chrome.

Also remember that I am just the messenger here, I don't have any influence or interest in this.
Jeff
ImageImage

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Thu May 21, 2015 6:38 am

JSB33 wrote:When I am allowed to divulge the pricing I will, Its not going to be IXO money....

Remember this is just a test shot, not a final rendering. Colors and lettering have already been revised.
This is the first prototype to have color on it.
Oh dear , I was afraid you were going to say something like that.

IMO , the colouring and lettering are the least of its problems . The model just looks cheap . Its the kind of car I would buy for under a tenner to let my stepson run over the living room carpet , but would it be a model Id be proud to display in a cabinet knowing it had cost me $50 or maybe more?.....sorry , it wouldn't .
Apologies if I seem negative as I would like to see Gerry succeed in his venture , but its the quality vs price issue that is the problem for me.
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:42 am

Really the only thing wrong with it (at present) is the cost. All else could be forgiven with proper pricing.
But, its not cheap getting your dreams produced. Sometimes it takes more than a checkbook and passion.
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu May 21, 2015 7:45 am

I think there are two potential markets for this type of car. One is as a highly chromed, scaled up Hot Wheels that probably would fly off the shelves in Walmart if the pricing was under $20. The other is for the discerning collector, whose prepared to pay $50, but wants a realistic model not a toy. That means alloy finishes not chrome, flushed windscreens, photo-etched components etc.

Unfortunately at the moment we have a car which is neither one or the other. Maybe it could be released like the Mattel Ferrari's in two versions - the cheaper basic version and a more detailed 'Elite' version at a higher price point ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:02 am

We are probably so used to "nowadays standard" resin features and quality that (at least for me) most diecasts do not appeal.

It's an interesting move to start a diecast business in these days as the market is down and thus it will be more complicated to sell out the manufactured quantities.

The car is totally off the interest for me but I expect USA being market #1 for this kind of cars and models, and the target customer needs may be different from ours (talking about model's thickness, finish (no p/e parts), standard partworks pieces of headlights and simple grille).

I wish all the luck to the project and its owner, I'd just recommend to do the homework well. I also wanted to start a small project many years ago and finally it did not work (and we were talking about resin) due to high cost and thus overprices retail price... It is almost for sure that the first release will be deficient in cash return but if it does well hopefully the project can survive.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:28 pm

A few minutes spent smearing some paint around....

Jeff
ImageImage

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun May 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Better
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Mon May 25, 2015 10:06 am

I agree that it looks better with those small improvements. I still think that I'm being negatively influenced by that shade of orange. I suggest that the next sample be free of graphics as those draw me away from the primary design as well. This 1940 Willys by Eagles Race is similar to what your friend is trying to achieve. For reasons that I'm unable to define, it looks less toy-like to me although the quality isn't appreciably different.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed May 27, 2015 2:11 am

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 27, 2015 3:35 am

Blackwash makes quite a difference, Jeff!

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Wed May 27, 2015 5:29 am

Not my bag, wont grace my shelf but big ups to a fulla taking the time to release virgin cars.
Lars

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 27, 2015 6:48 am

Baxter wrote:This 1940 Willys by Eagles Race is similar to what your friend is trying to achieve. For reasons that I'm unable to define, it looks less toy-like to me although the quality isn't appreciably different.
The problem is, the Eagle Race Willy retailed for only ~$20.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:50 am

Jager wrote:
Baxter wrote:This 1940 Willys by Eagles Race is similar to what your friend is trying to achieve. For reasons that I'm unable to define, it looks less toy-like to me although the quality isn't appreciably different.
And 10 years ago.
Jeff
ImageImage

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed May 27, 2015 10:03 am

JSB33 wrote:
Jager wrote:
And 10 years ago.
Yes, $20 was a lot. Sparks only cost $27 ten years ago.

After looking at many pictures, I find that many 1:1 scale drag cars look like toys. The graphics are usually not sophisticated but the colors are flashy and there aren't a lot of fancy wheels and aero devices. Many are built up from fifty year old cars. They are very simple looking machines. Everyone who has responded to this thread says that they are not interested in the subject and I wonder if the market is big enough to recover start-up costs. Your friend should pay close attention to resale prices for GMP 1:18 models. They are the only ones I know that do drag racers and it would be helpful to know which cars have the highest demand. Not necessarily the highest prices, as those are affected by rarity. GMP also tried a few 1:43 drag racers but their whole effort in that scale was very misguided and they only lasted a year.

Ten years ago I would have recommended your friend build American cars. Street cars, NASCAR, Indycar, TransAm CanAm were all under-represented except by white metal companies. Drag racing and Sprint Cars are the only major American series that still don't have good coverage. Handled well, it could be profitable. But there is little demand overseas for these series and 1:43 historically does better everywhere except the US. He needs strong models to start and that's why I recommendlate 60s/early 70s funny cars. Bonus points if there are 1:43 figures of Linda Vaughan and Jungle Pam.