NEW brand RMC

News, Rumors and Gossip
danny

NEW brand RMC

Post by danny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:12 am

The German importer of model cars started its own brand of resin models. They start with 6 US ford models.
Open the link and watch at the bottom of page 5
http://www.miniauto.net/upload/1347808_ ... 202015.pdf

Jager

Re: NEW brand RMC

Post by Jager » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:56 am

Danny, these appear to be exactly the same models as the 'Genuine Ford Parts" series from the US that Jeff revealled in February :

http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9900

Perhaps there is some confusion in the transaltion.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:07 pm

I don't like the green 1959 wagon or the yellow 1960 coupe because the colors are much brighter than the 1:1 cars. It could just be studio lighting. The two different shades of red are correct. Other than that, I assume these are the same cars as we have seen in Jeff's posts and they seemed to be doing a good job. Your photos are too small to make a final opinion.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:04 am

The world is getting crazy, 98€!!!
There are some interesting Spark VW news, again at 70€! The Neo Buick Y-Job listed at 99,50€?! I'll have to cross this out from my wish list then.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Paulius43 wrote:The world is getting crazy, 98€!!!
There are some interesting Spark VW news, again at 70€! The Neo Buick Y-Job listed at 99,50€?! I'll have to cross this out from my wish list then.
When I began collecting Minichamps, they were the most expensive of the middle price brands and cost less than 20€. I think the manufacturers are pricing themselves into a corner and would like to see average prices fall by 50 percent.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Baxter wrote:
Paulius43 wrote:The world is getting crazy, 98€!!!
When I began collecting Minichamps, they were the most expensive of the middle price brands and cost less than 20€. I think the manufacturers are pricing themselves into a corner and would like to see average prices fall by 50 percent.
In simple terms Baxter, its not going to happen.

Chinese wages have tripled in the last decade and are only going to keep going in one direction. Then add in increases in the cost of raw materials and shipping. As a result, the manufacturers are between a rock and a hard place being squeezed between ever rising costs and a market that shrinks every time they put up prices.

Remember that when Minichamps were 20€, they also would churn out 3 - 4,000 pieces of a particular model. Most releases these days are probably less than 1,000 pieces, so they need even higher costs to recoupe the initial fixed investment. The only way to bring down prices is increase quanties, but in the current economic environment that probably won't happen any time soon either.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese used to be $.39 a box and now its more like $1.30 and the Chinese have nothing to do with it so there. ;)
Jeff
ImageImage

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Absurd prices for those new models! :shock:

I believe that I can survive without buying them. And, it's about time for me to concentrate on certain themes! :?

JSB33 wrote:Kraft Macaroni and Cheese used to be $.39 a box and now its more like $1.30 and the Chinese have nothing to do with it so there. ;)
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Julio-

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:36 pm

Jager wrote:The only way to bring down prices is increase quantities, but in the current economic environment that probably won't happen any time soon either.
They could cut back on the photo-etch and metal foil. Less labor required. Drop the mirrors and antennas that make today's models too fragile to handle. I think the demand is there for higher quantities of many models, they're playing the oil game of restricting supply to keep prices high. If the demand wasn't there you would not see the same model released by six different companies. Why let eBay sellers and the next company make money on a car when you can double production and take all the money for yourself? We're not in a boom economy and prices are pushing against the upper limit. If they continue then the bubble will burst for Spark, TSM and the high-end Japanese companies like it did for Minichamps.

According to inflation calculators, and item that cost US$20 in 1990 would cost US$37 today. But in the case of Minichamps, I'm paying US$56 at minimum. This makes the hobby much less attractive when I have significantly less buying power. Paul Lang doesn't care as he's at retirement age, but it will prevent newer companies from taking the place of current ones die out.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Baxter wrote:
Jager wrote:They could cut back on the photo-etch and metal foil. Less labor required. Drop the mirrors and antennas that make today's models too fragile to handle. I think the demand is there for higher quantities of many models, they're playing the oil game of restricting supply to keep prices high. If the demand wasn't there you would not see the same model released by six different companies. Why let eBay sellers and the next company make money on a car when you can double production and take all the money for yourself? We're not in a boom economy and prices are pushing against the upper limit. If they continue then the bubble will burst for Spark, TSM and the high-end Japanese companies like it did for Minichamps.

According to inflation calculators, and item that cost US$20 in 1990 would cost US$37 today. But in the case of Minichamps, I'm paying US$56 at minimum. This makes the hobby much less attractive when I have significantly less buying power. Paul Lang doesn't care as he's at retirement age, but it will prevent newer companies from taking the place of current ones die out.
Each of us is different, but personally I prefer my $50 Spark model with the photo etched parts, mirrors and antennas etc. If I want a cheaper model with less detail, I can by a Hot Wheels, Whitebox or Altaya partworks model, which are sold in great volumes.

I don't think the model companies are restricting supply - they produce to the pre-order quantities specified by their wholesalers and retailers. The benefit of this for us is model prices don't crash through oversupply after the models are released, ensuring our collections hold their value. Again, I consider this a desirable aspect of our hobby (and generally don't buy partworks model where a Spark is available because the Spark models are more saleable and hold their value better after release).

Unfortunately US inflation has little to do with the cost of producting a model In China. If you use a Chinese inflation calculator, $20 in 1990 costs US$ 52.30 in 2014. However, 'Inflation' is a poor measure of real costs for manufactured items and as an example, consider that zinc has increased from ~$1,500/tn in 1990 to ~$2,000 in 2015.

Unfortunately we all have to eat more macaroni if we want to buy more models :D .

Marcellix

Post by Marcellix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:53 am

When BoS copies a Matrix, it already costs 40 euro. Much less than the 85 for a Matrix, but when modelcarworld puts their Neo's on sale, they are cheaper than a BoS. And PremiumX resin models are 40 euro including the photo etch parts.
With die cast models: a new colour for a reissued minichamps from the 90s (with 90s detailing) costs 55 euro, while new Ixo's with chrome windows instead of aluminium paint cost 30 euro.
So it is still possible to get quality for affordable prices...

(But it would be wiser to start collecting 1/64, those prices are much much lower than any 1/43)

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:01 am

Luckily we now have Ixo as a substitute for MC. Ixo prices are where MC's used to be and the quality is at least as good as MC's early efforts. There's enough variety in their offerings too and if you like there are several sub-brands with differing detail levels priced accordingly. If you don't care about packaging there are enough 'dumped' excess production models on the market, priced at just a couple of euros.

Yes, labour and materials are now more expensive. However, when the nth version of a mould MC released ten years ago still buys two good Ixos, I think MC is doing something wrong... or is milking collectors for all they've got. And the price difference between Spark and MC has gotten quite small in some instances, which is saying something.

EDIT: seems that Marcel agrees here. :)

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 am

Welly 1:43 Paganis were 15GBP at Goodwood last month. The detail and finish of their GT range is phenomenal so it can be done. Perhaps like Starline and M4 which showed the same amazing skills and loss leading prices on some of their early offerings they are getting us hooked before they boost them in a year or two. If only Bburago were paying attention to Welly GT levels of Quality instead of punting out 'toy' like Ferraris....

Marcellix

Post by Marcellix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:01 am

GBOAC002 wrote:Welly 1:43 Paganis were 15GBP at Goodwood last month. The detail and finish of their GT range is phenomenal so it can be done. Perhaps like Starline and M4 which showed the same amazing skills and loss leading prices on some of their early offerings they are getting us hooked before they boost them in a year or two. If only Bburago were paying attention to Welly GT levels of Quality instead of punting out 'toy' like Ferraris....
Yes, those are great. But Welly is used to buy 1/24 and 1/18 models for prices like that. These GT models are about 4 or 5 times as expensive as their usual 1/43 items. I hope they will continue this range.

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Completely off tangent but to me RMC will always mean Ready Mixed Concrete - the once British firm that was represented in our toy box by Matchbox products. :D

Chris