TSM 1:43rd Ford GTs from Le Mans 2016

News, Rumors and Gossip
SPR Models

TSM 1:43rd Ford GTs from Le Mans 2016

Post by SPR Models » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:24 am

I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere else on the Forum, so thought I'd start a new thread. Most of you are very aware that last year, TSM announced that they had secured the exclusive rights to produce models of the Ford GT from Le Mans 2016. Initially they confirmed the release of just two of the cars...

TSM430107 : Ford GT #67 'Chip Ganassi Team UK' LMGTE Pro Le Mans 2016 (Marino Franchitti, Andy Priaulx & Harry Tincknell)
TSM430108 : Ford GT #68 'Chip Ganassi Team USA' Winner LMGTE Pro Le Mans 2016 (Joey Hand, Dirk Müller & Sebastien Bourdais - 18th overall)

Not surprisingly, they have now confirmed that they also intend to release models of the other two Ford GT LMGTE Pro cars from the same race...

TSM430106 : Ford GT #66 'Chip Ganassi Team UK' 4th LMGTE Pro Le Mans 2016 (Olivier Pla, Stefan Mücke & Bill Johnson - 21th overall)
TSM430109 : Ford GT #69 'Chip Ganassi Team USA' 3rd LMGTE Pro Le Mans 2016 (Ryan Briscoe, Richard Westbrook & Scott Dixon - 20th overall)

All four 1:43rd scale models will be produced in injection-moulded resin.

Serafa

Re: TSM 1:43rd Ford GTs from Le Mans 2016

Post by Serafa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:47 am

One of those will find their final destiny in Brazil.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks John, we've discussed this in various threads around the forum following the Nurburgring toyfair. Based on IXO's announcement that they will release the the 2016 Le Mans GTE Pro winner in their Q1, 2017 releases, it seems TSM's "exclusive deal" is questionable :

http://www.ixomodels.com/image/catalog/ ... -Guide.pdf

It would be embarrassing for TSM if IXO not only release this model for half TSM's price, but also deliver their models to market before TSM. It would be interesting to get TSM's view on this.

We've also seen TSM announce various other versions of the Ford GT, including cars from Spa and IMSA in 2016. The risk with this is they will swamp the market with too many variations of the Ford GT's. Time will tell.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

SPR Models

Post by SPR Models » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:25 am

Jager wrote:Thanks John, we've discussed this in various threads around the forum following the Nurburgring toyfair. Based on IXO's announcement that they will release the the 2016 Le Mans GTE Pro winner in their Q1, 2017 releases, it seems TSM's "exclusive deal" is questionable :

http://www.ixomodels.com/image/catalog/ ... -Guide.pdf

It would be embarrassing for TSM if IXO not only release this model for half TSM's price, but also deliver their models to market before TSM. It would be interesting to get TSM's view on this.

We've also seen TSM announce various other versions of the Ford GT, including cars from Spa and IMSA in 2016. The risk with this is they will swamp the market with too many variations of the Ford GT's. Time will tell.
Hi Ian. Before starting this thread, yes I did read the others regarding the IXO version, however I couldn't find any reference to the four 2016 Le Mans versions planned by TSM. Because TSM have only recently confirmed the #66 & #69 cars, I thought I would post an update.

Our New Zealand & Australian customers are pleased that the Briscoe/Dixon is definitely confirmed. For a while it wasn't certain if this model would be released.

I wouldn't be surprised if IXO gets their version to market first. We are still awaiting TSM models that we ordered four years ago.

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:51 am

Didn't one of these cars finish first in their class? Which one was it?
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

Stu935

Post by Stu935 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 am

IFHP wrote:Didn't one of these cars finish first in their class? Which one was it?
It was the #68 car that won the GTE-Pro class at Le Mans last year. TSM have this listed on thier website, item TSM430108....

http://www.tsm-models.com/product-detai ... 61&pd=1592

Stu

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 am

IFHP wrote:Didn't one of these cars finish first in their class? Which one was it?
That would be the #68 car Michael ;)
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 am

The #68 is a must buy for me!
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks guys.
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

David C.

Post by David C. » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 am

As expected,TSM will get 'more milk from the cow' by releasing all four individually, they should release them as a four car set. There was much press about the 2016 win, but in 1966 Ford was the OVERALL winner, while in 2016 they just won their class. i'm a Ford guy but to me the win last year was tainted, with accusations of sandbagging to favor them in the BOP adjustments.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:18 am

Well, Ford went with tradition: their LM wins always are controversial :lol:.
Still, it's a gorgeous car, and I'm certainly getting the #68 either from Ixo or TSM.
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:45 am

Aside from the sandbagging issues, there have been concerns the Ford GT is more of a prototype in disguise (ie the roadcar was adapted from the race cars rather than visa-versa). This has the potential to shake up GT racing and has already forced Porsche to respond with the mid-engined 911 for GT racing even though they have no plans top change the roadcar from rear engined to mid-engined.

Personally I'd prefer to see the GT retain its links to production based cars with reasonable volumes......wIth Ford only producing 500 GT's its not quite in the spirit of the competition.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 am

Without a dobut! If the car has no relation to the regular street car, then it's a prototype, nothing else. I for one would prefer that FIA and other governing bodies were very firm about a manufacturer using a regular road car as the base of the race car. I really love prototypes but it's great to see cars that you can see on the street in war paint and ripping down a track in high level races like LM.

The fact is that by definition manufacturers will ALWAYS try to bend the rules as far as they can get away with it.
Image The Garage

Makalu

Post by Makalu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 am

You're certainly not alone regarding the ill-feeling towards Ford due to Le Mans 2016.

Suddenly being the quickest car out there and the whole situation with Risi was irritating to say the least.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm not defending Ford, far from it, but remember this?
The legend says that even office clerks had to push these out for this shot and the homologation inspection. As I said, I like to see prototype cars as I also like to see road-going GT cars at LM, and it's up to the sport's governing body to make manufacturers all dance to the same music. But if the manufacturer finds a breach in the rules, well, all is fair in love and war. And races.
Image The Garage

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:30 pm

....and Ferrari did exactly the same with the 512.

Ferrari in January 1970 presented the required number of 25 512 S, as 17 complete cars and eight assembly kits, to the homologation authorities. Unlike Porsche, which has built over 50 917s in total, Ferrari could not sell off all cars, and chassis No. 1046 was given to Pininfarina to be turned into a show car, the Ferrari 512 S Modulo.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Exactly. Race history is full of such instances where rules were cleverly bent by a manufacturer, so I honestly can't see the manufacturer at fault - the governing body should have been wiser. Of course that I take exception to cheating, where a rule is downright broken, but exploring breaches? Racing is basically a civilized war, so I can't see much problem there.

However, rules specifically being created to the advantage of a specific manufacturer is plain wrong in my book. AFAIK*, this was not the case last year, and I don't think any rules were broken by Ford, so they're ok in my eyes.

* I did not follow the race last year, so if something fishy actually happened please let me know.
Image The Garage

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Completely agree with Luciano. Within the rules = good, outside the rules = bad.

Happens in pretty much every motorsport. I'd argue in F1 its a case of sort of within the rules until you get caught....

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm

reeft1 wrote:I'd argue in F1 its a case of sort of within the rules until you get caught....
This.
But I wouldn't say it happens only in F1, but in all of the big league categories - "Nobody said anything against it, so I'm doing it, until someone says I cant do it anymore".
Image The Garage

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Unsurprisingly I'll echo the comments above re the Ford GTE win in 2016. I am a Ferrari guy when it comes to this, but also have been a Ford supporter over the years. I too am concerned that in the rush to get manufacturers on board, the ACO/FIA will bow-down to the larger companies to get them involved. I don't see Aston Martin getting away with the Ford antics, but then they don't have the money or clout that Ford do. As Ian has noted above, we now have Porsche building a mid-engined racer that won't been seen on the road, and probably not in the hands of privateer or Porsche supported teams. GTE is already too expensive, so the added costs of competing with the big names does cause concerns.

GT racing should be for genuine GT cars, not homologation specials. I an a big fan of GT3 racing, but don't want to see them replace GTE as the premier GT racers. I would rather see the Ferrari version adopted by pothers - build a GT3 car that can be relatively easily upgraded to a GTE car when funds and talent are available. This may also encourage some of the other GT3 brands to look at GTE.
Martin

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:29 am

Martin, if love Ferrari's racing legacy, you surely know that many of their victories cam not from the track but from the pen. Old man Ferrari played the rule books and the race organizers like a rented mule.

In this case they must have thought having Ford in was bigger and better doing anything for their integrity. Just like every sanctioning body for the last 50 years. Sometimes your brand is the winner and sometimes its the loser.
Jeff
ImageImage

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 am

JSB33 wrote:Martin, if love Ferrari's racing legacy, you surely know that many of their victories cam not from the track but from the pen. Old man Ferrari played the rule books and the race organizers like a rented mule.
True. The only difference is that back then rules were bent by the manufacturer, when nowadays rules are made/abolished in behalf of the manufacturer. And that's maybe the biggest reason for me not liking modern racing very much, specially F1.
Image The Garage

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

JSB33 wrote:Martin, if love Ferrari's racing legacy, you surely know that many of their victories cam not from the track but from the pen. Old man Ferrari played the rule books and the race organizers like a rented mule.

In this case they must have thought having Ford in was bigger and better doing anything for their integrity. Just like every sanctioning body for the last 50 years. Sometimes your brand is the winner and sometimes its the loser.
Too true Jeff. Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware of the "influence" Enzo and others have had over time, I just think the whole "Ford wins Le Mans 50 years on" was more a marketing play than a sporting one. I am more than happy that they are involved in Sportscar racing, but maybe they should be in the LMP1 class!

And believe me, supporting the brands I do, I tend to be on the losing side more often than not :? But that's what keeps it exciting and entertaining :D .
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:01 am

Personally I don't think too many fans bought the 'Ford Wins Le mans 50 Years On' and frankly I think as marketing exercise it backfired on them and they lost more respect than they gained. A genuine hard fought win would have served them much better.