A new Aussie outback diorama begins ...

LM24HRS

Re: A new Aussie outback diorama begins ...

Post by LM24HRS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:36 pm

I will indeed.

I will be interested to see how the finished mud bath contenders turn out. Weathering a model is something on my radar for future.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:51 pm

I really like the models so far, and look forward to the weathering.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:27 am

Now for the weathering (where all that time spent making mud pies when I was a kid probably now comes in handy).

Today's effort is just the first day of weathering the cars. I really need to let it all dry and set thoroughly before I decide what to do next.

Step 1, spray the models with dullcote (after covering the windows with masking tape). This gets rid of that car showroom sheen, and it also gives a nice, grippy surface for the mud to stick to. Let it dry two hours.

Step 2, make up a very thin solution of tan spray paint (Desert Yellow thinned 8 parts thinner to 1 part paint). Spray cars with airbrush, let it dry two hours. I used a cotton tip to wipe away a little bit of clear windscreen for each driver, which you can see in later pix.

Step 3, mix up your "mud". I'm using Burnt Umber soft pastels, grated on the finest side of the grater so it's like powder, mixed up with a slurp of rubbing alcohol. I also have another dish just with clear alcohol in it, which I use to "thin" any too-heavy applications of mud on the cars.

I zeroed in on those shiny wheels in the VW Beetle. The dullcote barely dimmed them ...

The Veedub really copped a lot of mud. I decided to clump on thick blobs of mud on the running boards and fenders. Hopefully it will dry and still look awful tomorrow morning.

The little Morris also went through some seriously muddy sections, wearing the spray from the bigger faster cars up front.

And though the Peugeot won the Trial, it didn't start first every day, so it looks every bit as mud-splattered as all the others. In some of the still photos of the Peugeot in the actual rally, you can barely read its livery. I'm trying to get close to that level, and quite frankly I think it needs more mud.

The beauty of this method of applying mud is that if you stuff up anything with, say, too much mud, you can just dip the brush into some clean rubbing alcohol and wipe away your mistakes and try again.

Tomorrow, the mud should all dry to a lighter colour, and then I have to decided to either add more or, better still, add some darker streaks of grease. I might even comb on a few dark streaks to look like fenders have tangled with tree stumps or rocks.
Last edited by Ozmac on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:21 am

Overnight, the mud dried nicely on the cars, so there's nothing more to show. I'm torn between wiping away some of the mud so you can see the decals more clearly, but I do love the idea that the poor cars, their drivers, and everything nearby, was caked in mud. In the DVD the Peugeot co-driver Alan Taylor spoke of the spray of fine wet mud coming up through the tiny gaps where the brake and clutch pedals poked through the floor. It was so bad everything inside the car was caked in mud, and through the worst sections Alan spent ages just cleaning Wilf's glasses, which became caked in mud. Now that's muddy!

For a final photo, here's my extremely low-tech photographic "studio". Lighting courtesy of the sun. Background a roll of paper towels. Camera is a pocket Ricoh that's about 7 years old now.

And yes, that's an Elvis Presley Las Vegas garden gnome in the background. He and the Indian Chief hang out there all the time.

So, on with the show. Here's a linky to the final diorama posting itself ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10951

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 pm

I'd completely missed this tutorial... glad that I caught it anyway as it's excellent! Love the method and the results, really adds to the realism of your charming diorama.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks Tom. It was a lot of fun making everything for it. I learned a lot, too.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Outstanding! And at least 18 atmospheres above my capabilities.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.