Another Le Mans pits diorama

Tom

Re: Another Le Mans pits diorama

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:50 am

Indeed, looks like a lot of work but it's really starting to look good.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:53 am

This is coming along nicely and looks excellent. What did you use to create the tarmac effect on the base?
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Jager wrote:That's looking very good Paul and I admire your patience. I'm sure this is going to get a lot of attention at Race Retro next year.
Thank you Ian. I have at times felt a little under pressure with this task knowing the end of February is just around the corner so to speak. To compound the fact, a new parcel of pits bits arrived today, this time for the 4x Lotus Elevens that did so well in 1957. So more construction required over the coming weeks.
2017 will mark 60 years since Jaguar and Lotus dominated Le Mans so well. I hope I do it justice.
Tom wrote:Indeed, looks like a lot of work but it's really starting to look good.
Thanks for your vote of confidence Tom, more to follow time permitting.
scalainj wrote:This is coming along nicely and looks excellent. What did you use to create the tarmac effect on the base?
Thanks Andy. The base board is just a piece of MDF spray painted grey then finely sanded. It is not the finished article as yet but will do as a good base coat.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Of late I have been enjoying the results of other members dioramas to the effect I have been neglecting my own. However I do have a little update on progress made over the last week or so.

It has taken me some pondering as how to get the best effect of the pit apron in front of the garages. By chance I was in a local DIY store and came across some textured spray paint and by the result on the cap made me think it was worth a punt. After some experimenting I decided this could work but when it dried it was too shiny for my liking. (It would certainly do for a rain soaked track effect though). Thinking it best to apply a second coat I gently rubbed down the first coat to which I was presently surprised. By rubbing down the textured coat the paint dulled to a much more realistic result I was after. So I applied the second coat, let that dry over night and gently rubbed that down. However I'm still not sure this is right. Looking at period photos the pit apron appears to be a strip of concrete with the tarmac of the track beyond that. I might have to go back to the drawing board on this one!

Another point of great debate for me has been the small trench of sand between the front of the advertising boards on the pits walls and the edge of the tarmac. I have not used my router for some time but knew this piece of kit would get me the result I was after. So again more experimenting with different cutters until I found the correct depth and scaled width of this trench. As yet this element is still work in progress but as you can see the trench has been cut. It's just waiting to be filled with sand! I have purchased the scenic sand but will apply after yet more experimenting. The photo below (LM57 outside the Porsche pits)is a good example of the sand trench I'm talking about

Any way photos below are up to date as of this afternoon. As you can see I have been busy painting some figures as well. This is some what time consuming but essential as without them it is not a diorama.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Paul, your attention to detail is very impressive.

I think your right about the pit apron. Like many tracks, it appears the pit apron was concrete rather than the asphalt used on the the track. Like most large areas of concrete, it appears there were expansion joints every 4 -5 metres (plus the odd crack or two).

This is from 1957 :

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Fantastic work Paul, and the research is definitely part of the fun!

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Jager wrote:Paul, your attention to detail is very impressive.

I think your right about the pit apron. Like many tracks, it appears the pit apron was concrete rather than the asphalt used on the the track. Like most large areas of concrete, it appears there were expansion joints every 4 -5 metres (plus the odd crack or two).
Ian looking at that photo definitely makes me think I should re-visit this. I will have to further experiment with colours and texture and once I've got that right there will be the odd oil dribble to add for realism!
Tom wrote:Fantastic work Paul, and the research is definitely part of the fun!
Thanks Tom. Sometimes I question the fun bit as it feels I'm working against a strong tide! However once I've found the correct solution then that knowledge is worth all the effort ready for the next build.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Since my last post I have been back to the drawing board so to speak hence the lack of activity. I was not happy with the base board being completely tarmac, which looking at period photographs was never the case anyway. The pit apron was concrete so I have been busy trying to replicate the concrete complete with expansion joints!

I've had a couple of attempts at this on spare pieces of MDF and eventually felt the result below satisfactory. Time is never on my side so this is a bit rushed at the moment. Any way hot off the press here is the Jaguar pits. I still have modifications to make which I hope to explain over the next week.

Zeus

Post by Zeus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Great work Paul 8-)
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:28 pm

That looks great already!

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:15 pm

I agree, that's a definite improvement. However I'm sure once you get a few cars on there, add a few mechanics and the odd oil stain, you won't really notice the base at all.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Zeus wrote:Great work Paul 8-)
Thanks Dave much appreciated. Building these is harder than I imagined
Tom wrote:That looks great already!
Cheers Tom, more to come
Jager wrote:I agree, that's a definite improvement. However I'm sure once you get a few cars on there, add a few mechanics and the odd oil stain, you won't really notice the base at all.
Many thanks Ian. I certainly feel happier with this now and yes I need to work out how best to get the oil stains looking realistic.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 pm

I have made a little more progress this evening in so much as this is nearing completion. Just need to add realistic oil stains and more figures etc. Any way I have now completed the sand trench just in front of the pit walls plus thanks to Barry I now have the correct advertising board in front of the Fraser Nash pit. This took a bit of research to find as very limited on period photos for that end of the pits. Apparently its French spark plugs!

For the eagle eyed amongst your number 3 is actually an IXO and the others and all Sparks. This is currently a bit of an experiment in terms of shape and colour differences. From the pictures it is hard to tell but look very closely and you will notice the differences I'm sure.

It is now time to concentrate on the Lotus pits, more later.................

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Outstanding! I will definitely use this as an inspiration for my 1975 F1 diorama next year. ;)

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:57 pm

I wouldn't worry about the Spark vs Ixo issue, they all look great in the pics at least. Fantastic effort so far, I wonder how you will fare with the tyre marks, oil stains etc.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:39 pm

It looks even better with the cars Paul. If your really concerned about the Soark vs IXO difference, whatct about partially covering the IXO with a tarpaulin as was pretty common prior to the start of the race ?

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Your work never ceases to amaze Paul. My appetite has been whetted, as they say, and I can't wait for "1957 Le Mans - Ferrari Pits" ;)
Martin

lussolover

Post by lussolover » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:17 am

This is an incredible diorama. I am very jealous not only of it but of the skills required to make it. I really like that if placed at the back of a display cabinet it really wouldn't take up much extra room. Sure you don't want to make one for sale?

great job!
Please check out my collection of mostly vintage but also modern race cars and street cars.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10539

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:47 am

Really looks the part Paul and coming to life more and more each time you add something. Cars bring a whole new aspect to it. Be interesting to see hw you 'weather' it
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:25 am

I doubt very much that anyone will give the cars a second look with everything else that is going on. It looks great from here.
Jeff
ImageImage

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Gentlemen, many thanks for all your positive comments and praise. Some what over whelming but I can assure you well received. I'm please people can enjoy the efforts of my labours. :)
Serafa wrote:Outstanding! I will definitely use this as an inspiration for my 1975 F1 diorama next year. ;)
I'm pleased it has that effect. I too was inspired many years ago with various dioramas, so much so I just had to build my own one day. Doubt this will be my last either. The only words of help I can add is be patient and try different materials. You will be surprised what results can be produced once you understand how to work with different materials.
Tom wrote:I wouldn't worry about the Spark vs Ixo issue, they all look great in the pics at least. Fantastic effort so far, I wonder how you will fare with the tyre marks, oil stains etc.
I'm glad you suggest not to worry Tom. I missed the opportunity to get hold of a Spark LM57 winner so the IXO was the alternative. It's on lone from Barry at BTS. I need to experiment with tyre marks and oil stains as I have never produced the effect before. I will report back later!
Jager wrote:It looks even better with the cars Paul. If your really concerned about the Spark vs IXO difference, what about partially covering the IXO with a tarpaulin as was pretty common prior to the start of the race ?
Excellent idea Ian. That will indeed add further detail/feature plus that subject was discussed earlier in this post. Will try and find time to experiment further.
Alfaholic wrote:Your work never ceases to amaze Paul. My appetite has been whetted, as they say, and I can't wait for "1957 Le Mans - Ferrari Pits" ;)

Martin, it has been a bit of discovery personally. I always believed in my capabilities but never really believed I could deliver. Surprising what we can do when you put your mind to it. Ref the LM57 Ferrari pits, Ian posted a good reference photograph earlier.................but I'm afraid you will have a long wait. I would like to do an Alfa pit say 71/72ish next. What this space.
lussolover wrote:This is an incredible diorama. I am very jealous not only of it but of the skills required to make it. I really like that if placed at the back of a display cabinet it really wouldn't take up much extra room. Sure you don't want to make one for sale?
great job!
Many thanks for your kind words, appreciated. The base measurements are 640mm x 220mm and the diorama stands 160mm high so yes has the potential to sit in a display cabinet. I have never considered building these for sale simply as they are extremely time consuming. Perhaps I might once I retire, some years away from that though.
scalainj wrote:Really looks the part Paul and coming to life more and more each time you add something. Cars bring a whole new aspect to it. Be interesting to see how you 'weather' it

Cheers Andy. I remember a comment from a railway modeller I met once. "Less track more scenery" He was right it works. I've always believed in displaying models with figures it just brings so much more life into it. Trouble is painting figures is not a 5 minute job. I need to learn weathering skills, that's like getting promoted into the Premiership in the skills stakes :D
JSB33 wrote:I doubt very much that anyone will give the cars a second look with everything else that is going on. It looks great from here.

As I said to Andy above Jeff, give the people lots to look at. I still have more figures (spectators & mechanics) to paint and add, I think it needs a bit more balance.

Bino

Post by Bino » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:56 am

Wow that is awesome!!! :shock:
Adriën

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Bino wrote:Wow that is awesome!!! :shock:
Many thanks.................more to follow

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Since New Year I have been very busy trying to make progress on my pits diorama. As explained earlier, my dead line which is looming large around the corner is virtually upon me. Next weekend these 3 pit scenes will be on display at Race Retro near Stoneleigh in Warwickshire, celebrating 60 years since Jaguars famous results of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th places. Plus Lotus finishing with all 4 cars and winning the Index of Performance.

I have now completed the Lotus pits, so here is a seek preview.

I also have a model of the French VP, #47 to go on the end pit. I will take more pics at the show.

Also here is the Belgium Jaguar pit now complete

Plus a nice addition I found whilst in France last week.

All 3 pits together

It has certainly been a huge learning curve and one I have found very enjoyable. I feel there is still room for improvement especially in the "weathering" department. Practice makes perfect as they say. Hope you enjoy.