Another Le Mans pits diorama

LM24HRS

Another Le Mans pits diorama

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Le Mans 1957 - Jaguar Pits

Before any body asks.........no I haven't finished my first one yet! However I do had good cause to start another, this one also being from 1957. Whilst both enjoying and amusing myself with these builds it all too quickly became apparent that next year will mark Jaguar's 60th anniversary of amazing run of results at Le Mans in one year; 1st 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th. Having been underway for sometime with the Belgium pit (4th place Jaguar) it was obvious I had to build the pit complex for the other 4 Jaguar's............plus the office that goes with each complex of 5 pit garages.

The whole aim of this is to display my dioramas at Race Retro here in the UK in late February to mark the 60th anniversary. I also have ideas for the Lotus Team who won various classes and the Index of Performance the same year.

Anyway to cut a long story short I have been given a helping hand again by Barry at BTS by way of an old pit complex he apparently started years ago which was sitting neglected in his workshop. After a dust down and a very light sanding I carefully de-constructed the MDF parts to make access into the model better.

Using my bible "La Magie du Diorama" by Jean-Claude Baudier my first job has been to draw out in 1:43 scale the office window and door frames as none had been produced. The frames for the windows have been troublesome insomuch as getting matching lengths of plastic strip. This I eventually achieved with a tool called "The Chopper" of all things. Details as below.

http://www.nwsl.com/uploads/chap1_TOOLS_09-15.pdf

All the same I used my scale drawings as templates, glueing the frames whilst on the drawings. I have also made up the lighting junction boxes and conduit above each pit garage.

There is a great deal to do in a relatively a short space of time before February arrives. All the same I will give it my best shot in the time I have available. The pictures below are of the works complete to date.

Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

Alfaholic

Re: Another Le Mans pits diorama

Post by Alfaholic » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Paul, I didn't know you were a fan of the late great Australian touring car legend Peter Brock. I'm guessing you are as you are living by one of his famous sayings - Bite off more than you can chew, and then chew like hell!

Good luck.
Martin

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Great idea, would love to do this myself but I lack the time...

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:08 am

Tom wrote:Great idea, would love to do this myself but I lack the time...
In my case its time, ability, artistry, space and a bunch more reasons :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:18 am

You're projects just taken a big step up Paul. February isn't far away and the time will rush by with Christmas and the New Year.

Looking forward to the regular updates.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Alfaholic wrote:Paul, I didn't know you were a fan of the late great Australian touring car legend Peter Brock. I'm guessing you are as you are living by one of his famous sayings - Bite off more than you can chew, and then chew like hell!

Good luck.
Neither did I! I've gone past the point of no return so yes I fear the pressure. I have plenty of gum to chew to keep concentration levels up!
Tom wrote:Great idea, would love to do this myself but I lack the time...
In all honesty Tom I'm not sure I have the time either.................long nights ahead I think.
JSB33 wrote:In my case its time, ability, artistry, space and a bunch more reasons :lol:
Jeff give it a try. Simplicity is the key.............I fear I missed the point!
Jager wrote:You're projects just taken a big step up Paul. February isn't far away and the time will rush by with Christmas and the New Year.

Looking forward to the regular updates.
I think the reality of it has just sunk in! Had some good news this evening, Barry has completed the pit walls, fuel gantries, extinguishers etc so getting those in the post shortly. Also I have 2 days holiday left before Christmas so by candle light I will be tinkering around in the small hours. Also the lessens learnt whilst doing the Belgium pit has helped.

Thanks for all the moral support guys.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Paul, there is quite a good shot of one of the 1957 pit office in the background shot of the A.C. Ace :

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:56 am

Thanks Ian. I have not seen that one before so yes indeed this will be good referance material. It also confirms my thoughts that the windows were a sash type as the bottom one on the left has temporarily been removed or slide up for better ventilation.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Further progress.

Door frames glued and drying in template position and then dry fitted into position for review.

Both the window and door frames need a bit more refinement before final gluing into position.

I managed to sort out the manufacturers name and racing numbers that go above the pit garages over the weekend. These are currently draft copies to evaluate final sizing etc but on first attempt not too bad. I would say they are slightly too wide at the moment in comparison to my LM57 Belgium pits so will adjust. These are currently loosely blue tacked into position.

Note the back doors into the pits pencilled in position. I was going to cut out the opening and make up each door in contrast to the garage back wall but time will not permit. I will mask and paint later.

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:12 am

Inspiring!
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:57 am

Looking great so far!

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:39 am

Already substantial progress. Well done
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:01 am

There aren't that many pictures around of the inside of the pit boxes during the race, but here's a few I came across recently showing the exhausted drivers and mechanics at the 1967 race that might give you a few ideas :

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:28 pm

IFHP wrote:Inspiring!
Many thanks I'm pleased they have that affect.
Tom wrote:Looking great so far!
Thanks Tom, I hope it stays that way!
JSB33 wrote:Already substantial progress. Well done
Cheers Jeff. The next stage will slow progress up a bit as I will be preparing all the small bits and pieces for painting.
Jager wrote:There aren't that many pictures around of the inside of the pit boxes during the race, but here's a few I came across recently showing the exhausted drivers and mechanics at the 1967 race that might give you a few ideas :
These certainly will Ian, many thanks. You must be looking at the same website I found recently. A treasure trove of photographs. I love these behind the scene shots, they portray what LM is all about. Incidentally, I've been trying to find photos of the telephones on the back wall that fed direct to the signal pits at Muslanne. I'm not sure if every garage had one or there was just one phone within a group of 5 garages. If you come across any info then please let me know.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:40 pm

A small parcel arrived in today's post...................5 of everything! This lot is all the pit walls, fuel gantries, fuel hoses, fire extinguishers, fuel meters and wall brackets etc. All will need cleaning up and making ready for painting which is going to be a time consuming exercise but effort is required to get the desired affect. Note the wood grain on the blanking of each pit wall.

Door frames clamped and drying over night.

Lastly many thanks for all the encouraging comments, much appreciated.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Very nice indeed. I bet it will look great when it's done.

Johnny_Bravo

Post by Johnny_Bravo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:58 pm

i love what i see so far. i am impressed by the resin pieces...where did you get them from?

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Here's a few more pictures that might give you a few ideas.

1956 :

1958 :

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Love those action shots, wish I could've been there.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:14 am

Tom wrote:Very nice indeed. I bet it will look great when it's done.
Thanks Tom. I hope to make good progress today as I have a day off work. Watch this space for more pictures hopefully by the end of the day.
Johnny_Bravo wrote:i love what i see so far. i am impressed by the resin pieces...where did you get them from?
The resin pieces come from a very small company called BTS Mouldings here in the UK.
If you haven't already, take a look at my first attempt more details contained within the tread.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11070
Jager wrote:Here's a few more pictures that might give you a few ideas.
Ian many thanks for these. Photographs such as these are so valuable when building dioramas for numerous reasons such as period dress and getting all the correct pit paraphernalia. Unfortunately I do not have the skill to build a 1:43 D-type with open bonnet and engine detail! Perhaps that is my next challenge to find a kit to enable me to add further interest.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:45 am

As mentioned at the beginning of this post, this particular pit complex come to me part built and because of it I have had to change my way of working to enable me to progress. As each garage wall is already glued into position I have had to use a right angled adaptor to drill the pilot holes in each wall for the fuel gantries and fuel meters and pipeline. Below are the walls all marked up ready for drilling and my practice runs on some spare MDF for the pilot holes and chases for the fuel gantries. Looks alarming bad at the moment but stay with it!

Once I was happy with the holes and positioning each gantry was fixed into position and filler used to blend them into the wall. I have found it easier to have these in position first and paint separately later. My next job was to prepare the pit walls which are slightly longer than each garage for some reason. This calls for some accurate cutting and trimming. All now loosely in position as per below.

Next up was to start spraying the building and back walls which I did this morning. So whilst they are drying in the spray booth I can spend time updating this post.

All the major build I compile in my garage but the smaller and finer points are completed in my model room (no kids you see!). Some times know as LM HQ. This is where it all starts

Fuel meters painted, just need to paint the supply lines etc.

Wooden pit walls, first use a dark brown for the nail heads and joins between the planks. This is achieved by painting over the whole deck and then gently wiping off the surplus. All that is left is the paint in the nail head holes and grooves.

More to follow later.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 am

Paul, Autoart have done a stunning 1955 D-Type with opening bonnet and a detailed engine. Unfortunately it doesn't have the full width windscreen of the 1957 Jaguars. I wonder if there was a way you could combine the engine detail of the Autoart with the rear body of a Spark ?

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Well it has been a few days now since I last reported my progress so it is good to report there has indeed been some more, be it very delicate progress.

Adding the fuel gantries was my next job and from the experience gained from my first pits diorama it taught me to be patient during the install process. These pieces are delicate. One thing I did not do first time around was make a template type jig to allow the very small brackets that hold the incoming fuel line off the garage wall, to be positioned correctly. The photo below shows MDF template and completed incoming fuel line and meter together with their wall brackets glued into the correct position ready for instalment. The template was a great success as the final fit of these assemblies was so much easier and quicker. This all suggests that behind the scene there is indeed additional work in just producing templates but one that is as important.

I have also now managed to finish off and place into position the manufacture and car racing numbers that go above each garage. These suggest a great leap forward but there is still plenty to complete.

Whilst all this is going on I am also painting many figures that will eventually appear in the diorama. I do enjoy creating these but they are extremely time consuming but very rewarding when you get them right.

Next job will be to fit each fuel hose with it's own fuel filler plus place into position all the other advertising boards. So more to follow later.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:40 pm

That's looking very good Paul and I admire your patience. I'm sure this is going to get a lot of attention at Race Retro next year.