A Lock Up diorama

scalainj
Site Admin

A Lock Up diorama

Postby scalainj » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:19 am

Inspired by the great dioramas on S143 I thought I'd turn my hand to my first scenic scene in 1/43/O Gauge/7mm scale to give me a better photo backdrop than the current white box. It's taken about a month to do sporadically with an hour here and there and has input from both my daughters (mostly in the form of laughter from oldest about the bright red bushes) and my youngest has found it fascinating, especially the construction part.
For me the big challenge and the fun (relative term) has being trying to blend it together/weather it if you will so it looks all of a piece.
As it was my first attempt I haven't taken any build photos but I have another project in mind which I may well document

So this is the finished item so far though I am considering giving it a back-scene

The lock up kit came from here

http://www.kingswaymodels.com/page21.htm

The base is cardboard mounting board with 400 grade wet and dry to represent tarmac - next time I'll be painting this with lighter shades of grey so that it doesn't look freshly laid

The walls came from

http://www.modelrailwayscenery.com/2014 ... o-7mm-143/

The trees from my local model railway shop. A very rare bricks n mortar shop these days

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/445 ... elsandToys

And the bushes, grass, scatter came from

http://javis.co.uk/index.php?option=com ... 6&vmcchk=1
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

David MG

Re: A Lock Up diorama

Postby David MG » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:27 am

Look OK to me but would any one of your pristine collection want to park in such a dump? I suggest your next project is a Mayfair dealership :D
Cheers,
David

dcast

Postby dcast » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:43 am

Very nice and detailed diorama :) Looking forward to see how it looks with cars in there.

Featherless_Biped

Postby Featherless_Biped » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:48 am

Oh, I like your weathering job. 8-) The weeds in the tarmac crack add a nice realistic touch, too. I'll be interested to see the tarmac after shades of gray are added. Without the gray, it usually looks freshly laid.

RT

Jager

Postby Jager » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:50 am

Looks very appropriate for your recently acquired 1972 Connew F1 which I believe was constructed in a very similar style lock up.

Now you just need a suitable Ford Transit and you've got yourself a 1972 F1 Diorama.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

David MG

Postby David MG » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 am

Jager wrote:Looks very appropriate for your recently acquired 1972 Connew F1 which I believe was constructed in a very similar style lock up.

Now you just need a suitable Ford Transit and you've got yourself a 1972 F1 Diorama.

Spot on thinking!
Cheers,
David

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:38 am

Very cool job, Andy! I like it a lot.

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:46 am

I was expecting to see one of these:

What you made makes a lot more sense. Hard to believe that is your first diorama - it looks great!

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:33 am

Not only have you provided some great inspiration but you provided some very dangerous links.
You are a bad man.
Jeff
ImageImage

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:43 am

Andy has definitely hit the nail on the head with his 1950s lock-up garages. Del boy's Reliant Van and a couple of Vanguards part rusted Allegro/Marinas would complement that a treat! I can think of at least three locations around our area where inspiration could have come from, and I dare say there are still a few around TW.

I have a friend who actually hires someone to clear the leaves off her corrugated garage roof each autumn. Well done Andy (and helpers).

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:57 am

David MG wrote:Look OK to me but would any one of your pristine collection want to park in such a dump? I suggest your next project is a Mayfair dealership :D

My eldest said the same when I test putting it together and I popped the Lamborghini Centenairo on it. What she actually said is that in that setting it looked like it had been stolen! Next project is the pub :D

dcast wrote:Very nice and detailed diorama :) Looking forward to see how it looks with cars in there.

Thanks very much. You'll be seeing those soon

Featherless_Biped wrote:Oh, I like your weathering job. 8-) The weeds in the tarmac crack add a nice realistic touch, too. I'll be interested to see the tarmac after shades of gray are added. Without the gray, it usually looks freshly laid.

RT

Thanks RT 8-)
Those weeds were put there to cover up the sandpaper join.......
Tarmac does need toning down for sure. So far i've been using Tamiya weathering powders in sand, dark sand, mud and snow but trying to paint sandpaper isn't easy

Jager wrote:Looks very appropriate for your recently acquired 1972 Connew F1 which I believe was constructed in a very similar style lock up.

Great minds Ian. Great minds indeed. The whole idea of this was to present new additions on a man in shed basis which I realise is stretching a bit for the latest supercar/modern car but for competitions cars post war to the 1980s this idea will work

Tom wrote:Very cool job, Andy! I like it a lot.

Thanks Tom. Cheers

dbonser wrote:I was expecting to see one of these:

What you made makes a lot more sense. Hard to believe that is your first diorama - it looks great!

Separated by a common language Douglas :D
I'm actually quite shocked on how good it looks in the photos. I've spent a lot of time reading model railway magazines for ideas and techniques

JSB33 wrote:Not only have you provided some great inspiration but you provided some very dangerous links.
You are a bad man.

I'm glad it's inspiring. Many other efforts here have inspired this. I have other dangerous links too. Many more
I know :lol:

GBOAC002 wrote:Andy has definitely hit the nail on the head with his 1950s lock-up garages. Del boy's Reliant Van and a couple of Vanguards part rusted Allegro/Marinas would complement that a treat! I can think of at least three locations around our area where inspiration could have come from, and I dare say there are still a few around TW.

And you would be right Ian. There are many and they are to be found just about anywhere. I used to have one like this many moons ago.
I spent some time just having a look at the general run down feel of them and how they have aged, weathered, how plants have colonised to try and get this feel

Close-ups

Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

raystaggs

Postby raystaggs » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:53 am

I like it!

LM24HRS

Postby LM24HRS » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:57 am

Andy, if indeed this is your first diorama then high praise to you my friend, this is absolutely top draw stuff. Very envious I must say. Also many thanks for sharing the links. I have never come across Kingsway models before and considering I've been looking for "O Gauge" buildings for some time I'm surprised they never came up on a web search.

We can certainly learn a lot from the railway modellers as without weathering skills the effect is lost. Don't get me wrong, collecting 1:43 models is all very well but if you can add a bit of "life" to a model the interest level goes up another notch or two I think. One of the reasons why I wanted to start building dioramas.

Keep up the good work, really looking forward to your other ideas.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Love the weeds, very realistic!

Ozmac

Postby Ozmac » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Excellent work Andy, well done.

I like how in diorama making a little detail like that line of weeds can solve a little diorama-building problem for you, and they end up being something appreciative viewers comment on favourably for its realism. It's a wonderfully weird world when you start making dioramas.

Alfaholic

Postby Alfaholic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:42 pm

I can only echo the above comments Andy, brilliant work and a great idea. Looking forward to seeing some action shots.
Martin

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:36 am

raystaggs wrote:I like it!

LM24HRS wrote:Andy, if indeed this is your first diorama then high praise to you my friend, this is absolutely top draw stuff. Very envious I must say. Also many thanks for sharing the links. I have never come across Kingsway models before and considering I've been looking for "O Gauge" buildings for some time I'm surprised they never came up on a web search.

We can certainly learn a lot from the railway modellers as without weathering skills the effect is lost. Don't get me wrong, collecting 1:43 models is all very well but if you can add a bit of "life" to a model the interest level goes up another notch or two I think. One of the reasons why I wanted to start building dioramas.

Keep up the good work, really looking forward to your other ideas.

Thank you. Certainly first diorama in this scale and to this level of detail. I used to have a 6*4 train board for OO which had some detailing but that went 20+ years ago
Can vouch for both the service and the kit quality from Kingsway - mighty tempted by the garage with small showroom.
Railway modelling I think is the closest to these dioramas - trying to set something naturally in the landscape and then trying to make it look like it's been there for some time

Tom wrote:Love the weeds, very realistic!

They are my favourite bit. Especially the fluffy grass. I need to get a static grass applicator so that when they are applied they all stand up. 8-)

Ozmac wrote:Excellent work Andy, well done.

I like how in diorama making a little detail like that line of weeds can solve a little diorama-building problem for you, and they end up being something appreciative viewers comment on favourably for its realism. It's a wonderfully weird world when you start making dioramas.

Thanks very much. The join even though I'd butt fitted the sheet stood out like a sore thumb. I tried a pencil, felt tip and some paint but it didn't work so in the end I ran a line of white glue and sprinkled the scatter. Turned out really well

Alfaholic wrote:I can only echo the above comments Andy, brilliant work and a great idea. Looking forward to seeing some action shots.

Thanks Martin - Here are a couple of action shots inspired by the photo posted by Ian and my little tribute to the men in shed

Andy

Jager

Postby Jager » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:11 am

Looks good Andy. I've emailed copies of your pictures across to Barry which I think he'll enjoy.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Serafa

Postby Serafa » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:43 am

Fantastic work, Andy! My claps go to you.

Initialy I thought that an old family car would go well with your diorama, but the 70's F1 seem to be even better. Maybe one of those crazy experiments from Colin Chapman.

thetrooper

Postby thetrooper » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:51 am

Nowt wrong with that for your first attempt, hell its great for your 100th attempt. I'm impressed with it.
Steve

DavieW

Postby DavieW » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Excellent work. I was looking to buy that kit but there's no way I could make it anywhere near as good as that.

Paulius43

Postby Paulius43 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 am

Great work Andy! I thought you were my type of collector (preferring to buy things already made instead of trying to make smth by own), but this is a really good job!! The models now look great at the new site although too shiny for that shabby and real to life environment :)
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

dcast

Postby dcast » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:00 am

Looking great with cars there :) Great idea hiding the surface joint with weed. I should figure out something to my road diorama as well to cover the seams between those narrow "asphalt" looking tapes :P

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:50 am

Jager wrote:Looks good Andy. I've emailed copies of your pictures across to Barry which I think he'll enjoy.

Thanks Ian.
I'm hoping he did despite them being a representation as opposed to accurate

Serafa wrote:Fantastic work, Andy! My claps go to you.

Initialy I thought that an old family car would go well with your diorama, but the 70's F1 seem to be even better. Maybe one of those crazy experiments from Colin Chapman.

Cheers Bruno
I think standard cars and a lot of older race cars will work well with this. However I'm going to try a wide variety on the basis that you don't know till you try

thetrooper wrote:Nowt wrong with that for your first attempt, hell its great for your 100th attempt. I'm impressed with it.

Thanks Steve. It came out better than I expected that's for sure or better than I initially had in my minds eye

DavieW wrote:Excellent work. I was looking to buy that kit but there's no way I could make it anywhere near as good as that.

Cheers Davie. You'd be surprised how easy that kit is to make. Give it a go

Paulius43 wrote:Great work Andy! I thought you were my type of collector (preferring to buy things already made instead of trying to make smth by own), but this is a really good job!! The models now look great at the new site although too shiny for that shabby and real to life environment :)

Thanks Paulius.
Well I spent many years making plastic model kits, up until women made an appearance in my life, so I suppose it's still there inside
Reality would suggest I weather the models too, but that's not going to happen

dcast wrote:Looking great with cars there :) Great idea hiding the surface joint with weed. I should figure out something to my road diorama as well to cover the seams between those narrow "asphalt" looking tapes :P

Thanks very much. Perhaps some very thin strips of tape painted a darker colour to represent bitumen used in expansion joints?

Andy

Return to “1:43 Dioramas, Figures and Customized models”