A Lock Up diorama

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: A Lock Up diorama

Postby JSB33 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:52 am

I spent some time looking at this and considering making something like it. I think the run down condition of it is very charming and you did a whale of a job making it so. But I realized something about myself. I would never be satisfied with something looking shabby, I would have to clean it up, pull weeds, paint and repair.
Its just me, this is coming from a guy that hand washes his company car weekly and cleans the interior. :roll:
Don't forget my garage dio, hospital clean and charmless.

Even my storage barn has to be in order :geek:

Its a curse!
Jeff
ImageImage

Galaxy Gaz

Postby Galaxy Gaz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 am

Andy , your lock up diorama looks fantastic , really it does . You have some skills there my son , well done.

It does look sort of similar to the block of lock ups that my beloved Mk1 Galaxy is hiding in at the moment.
Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

Zeus

Postby Zeus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Great diorama build there Andy 8-)
I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

Alfaholic

Postby Alfaholic » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Nice looking diorama Jeff. I can't help but wonder about the story that led the Peugeot WRC Team to use a Ford garage for preparation though :D

I grew up with a Father that kept our garage meticulous - even his nails, nuts and bolts were in separate tins based on size, and all tins were placed on shelves in order and with military precision (and he is not a military person). I can remember visiting my aunt and uncle when I was a lad and being asked to take something to my uncle who was in his garage at the time - he took the item I had for him Andy just threw it over his shoulder into a pile of other stuff - I had never been so shocked in all my young life.

I sometimes think that people that collect things tend to have a "sense of order" gene somewhere.
Martin

DavieW

Postby DavieW » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:09 pm

JSB33 wrote:I spent some time looking at this and considering making something like it. I think the run down condition of it is very charming and you did a whale of a job making it so. But I realized something about myself. I would never be satisfied with something looking shabby, I would have to clean it up, pull weeds, paint and repair.
Its just me, this is coming from a guy that hand washes his company car weekly and cleans the interior. :roll:

Its a curse!

Superb diorama. Can I ask where you got the workshop equipment assuming it's 1/43 scale?

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:45 am

JSB33 wrote:I spent some time looking at this and considering making something like it. I think the run down condition of it is very charming and you did a whale of a job making it so. But I realized something about myself. I would never be satisfied with something looking shabby, I would have to clean it up, pull weeds, paint and repair.

Even my storage barn has to be in order :geek:

Its a curse!

I understand completely where you are coming from. I'm organised in the same way but I wanted to reflect something that I have seen so many times here. Very rarely are they maintained because they either wholly communally owned or the garages themselves are individually owned but the land they sit on is communally owned so individual garages will be spic and span but the land will be maintained only when absolutely necessary.
The irony is that the kit builds up into a tidy well maintained row of garages (depending on you choice of doors of which there are several) so I had to spend time adding wear, tear and general patina

Your garage diorama is really good. Just needs some oil stains on the floor, the odd tyre mark, just a bit of wear that all garages (bar the very top end dealers) have regardless of how much they clean

My shed, my father's shed in fact most man sheds (but of course not all) are ordered that way though I have to say mine has a bit more in it, mostly in there because Dee like her father keeps everything just in case. As to the cars I used to clean mine religiously every week however these days and especially at this time of year it's simply not worth it. They get filthy sitting still

Galaxy Gaz wrote:Andy , your lock up diorama looks fantastic , really it does . You have some skills there my son , well done.

It does look sort of similar to the block of lock ups that my beloved Mk1 Galaxy is hiding in at the moment.

Thanks Gary. Appreciate your comments

I might have hidden the odd VW in ones very similar to these in days gone by

Zeus wrote:Great diorama build there Andy 8-)

Thanks Dave

Alfaholic wrote:I sometimes think that people that collect things tend to have a "sense of order" gene somewhere.

It's the gene that activates OCD!

Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:46 am

Alfaholic wrote:I grew up with a Father that kept our garage meticulous - even his nails, nuts and bolts were in separate tins based on size, and all tins were placed on shelves in order and with military precision (and he is not a military person).

I sometimes think that people that collect things tend to have a "sense of order" gene somewhere.

Like this? :lol:

DavieW wrote:

Its a curse!

Superb diorama. Can I ask where you got the workshop equipment assuming it's 1/43 scale?

Mostly True Scale Miniatures in 1:43
Jeff
ImageImage

Alfaholic

Postby Alfaholic » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:57 am

JSB33 wrote:Like this? :lol:

Similar yes, except his were in old tobacco tins he had accumulated over the years - and he wasn't a smoker :geek:
Martin

Jager

Postby Jager » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:49 pm

My father did, and still does that. It must be a generational things (post WWII....don't throw away anything ?).

When I want a bolt of a particular size, I just drive to the local hardware store and buy exactly what I need.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

niki23

Postby niki23 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Late to this but congrats Andy, looks amazing!
I can remember seeing your dio during the first stages of build and the difference between the two are night and day, excellent work! :o

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49 am

niki23 wrote:Late to this but congrats Andy, looks amazing!
I can remember seeing your dio during the first stages of build and the difference between the two are night and day, excellent work! :o

Thanks Niki
Somewhat of an improvement over bare sandpaper and a cardboard garage :)

Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:08 am

Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:09 am

Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:24 am

Andy

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:05 am

The diorama works well with a surprising number of different vehicles. Very nice.

JSB33
Site Admin

Postby JSB33 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:58 am

Tom wrote:The diorama works well with a surprising number of different vehicles. Very nice.

Its Andy's little black dress :D
Jeff
ImageImage

David MG

Postby David MG » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:20 am

JSB33 wrote:
Tom wrote:The diorama works well with a surprising number of different vehicles. Very nice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:47 am

It does seem to. We shall see how it works when very modern vehicles are pictured in it soon

JSB33 wrote:

David MG wrote:
JSB33 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Better this than a real dress i'd say ;)
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:52 am

Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 am

Andy

David MG

Postby David MG » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:18 am

There's lots of shady dealings going on at this lock up.
Want a LM guv? Going for a song, yours for a few readies :D
Cheers,
David

Tom

Postby Tom » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:43 am

Fallen off the back of a lorry, probably. :)

Jager

Postby Jager » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:00 am

I like the lock up with the cars that were put together by the privateers and run on shoestring budget. Its a little less convincing with the factory cars that had a huge budget behind them.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Serafa

Postby Serafa » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:42 am

Jager wrote:I like the lock up with the cars that were put together by the privateers and run on shoestring budget. Its a little less convincing with the factory cars that had a huge budget behind them.

I would expect to see a huge structure, with trucks, restaurants, mechanics and engineers all over the place and etc.

The 956 in this diorama looks great, though.

Return to “1:43 Dioramas, Figures and Customized models”