Un chateau sur la Loire

Jean B.

Un chateau sur la Loire

Post by Jean B. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 am

I guess it's better to move to this thread instead of posting in "group shots"... well, still have to discover all the different threads on S1/43 :oops: As already annnounced, I'm going to make a diorama for presenting groups of cars (which are still to be built...), showing an elegant square in front of a castle. I have chosen Chateau Cheverny and ordered a broad background and two smaller side panels. Today only the two sides arrived, the main panel still needs some time :( Nevertheless I couldn't resist to make a very first test, using the simple plafond I've already made (and which will be replaced by a better one):

LUW

Re: Un chateau sur la Loire

Post by LUW » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:21 pm

That looks VERY good!
If you tweak with the lighting I'm sure you could pass it for a shot of a real car.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Looks great so far!

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Nice idea Jean.I love Loire and its the perfect backdrop for your cars.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 am

LUW wrote:That looks VERY good! If you tweak with the lighting I'm sure you could pass it for a shot of a real car.
Thank you! Don't lead me into temptation! Of course I've already looked for a semi-professional lighting equipment, but sometimes I have to watch my bank balance :o
Tom wrote:Looks great so far!
Thank you! Then please feel invited for the next steps :P
Jager wrote:Nice idea Jean.I love Loire and its the perfect backdrop for your cars.
Thank you! I've never been in France, but being very romantic :oops: , my imagination of France and its culture is overwhelming. So I spontaneously felt that this would be the right backdrop!

Et maintenant, Mesdames et Messieurs, the "how-to" of building a simple diorama:

First making an outside shell of 5mm rigid foam board (called "Kapa" board). This is useful for making different dioramas, all to be installed in the same way:

Rear board made of 5mm translucent plexi-glass, thus it can be used for rear projections as well as for windows in another (inside) diorama:

Easily connected with so-called "Fisso connectors":

The chosen photos of Cheverny castle were printed directly onto a 5mm rigid foam board with a plastic surface, these are put into the outside shell:

Think of using distance keepers to bridge the gap resulting by the connectors:

The existing plafond with altered lines resp. graphic, because straight lines and correct circles appear distorted on photos. So you have to distort the lines in reality, to achieve a proper impression on the photos :) :

This - of course - now serves only as a sketch which will be executed with the according material...

Here we go:

Accidentally some nice cars came around... ;) :

Next steps will be: making a new plafond and some furniture for decorating the plot. Stay tuned! :P

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Jean, it looks MUCH better, a clear improvement!
And why don't you try an outdoor shot? If the sky is cloudy you get perfect lighting without spending a penny.
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:50 pm

WOW!
Love the lighting, the depth of field that suggests distance... perfect!

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Tom wrote:WOW!
Love the lighting, the depth of field that suggests distance... perfect!
Yes!
Good effect.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Jean B. wrote:The existing plafond with altered lines resp. graphic, because straight lines and correct circles appear distorted on photos. So you have to distort the lines in reality, to achieve a proper impression on the photos :) :
Impressive Jean. How many of us would have thought of that (I didn't :oops: ).

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 am

LUW wrote:Jean, it looks MUCH better, a clear improvement! And why don't you try an outdoor shot? If the sky is cloudy you get perfect lighting without spending a penny.
Thanks, but I fear I wouldn't dare to take all the stuff outside... :o Curious cats, mischivous squirrels throwing with pinecones - and the weather in Berlin, which is similar to that in Sibiria... :)
Tom wrote:WOW! Love the lighting, the depth of field that suggests distance... perfect!
Thank you! Today the lighting is very difficult: sun and blizzard follow each other within minutes :? For the future I guess I'll get some photo lamps. The trompe l'oeil effect is quite convincing, isn't it? At least it is some effect with relatively less effort... :D
johann.nunweiller wrote:Yes! Good effect.
Thanks, nice to hear that from a professional photographer (I always love watching your photos on S1/43!) :P
Jager wrote:Impressive Jean. How many of us would have thought of that (I didn't :oops: ).
Thank you! It's just a thing of trial & error, I guess... Many years ago some takes for "Around the World in 80 Days" with Jackie Chan was filmed in Berlin, and I wondered then why the scenery (lots of "old buildings") were arranged so strangely "criss-crossed". When I watched the scenes on the Berlin TV news, I knew why ;)

Meanwhile my cellar-room workshop has been tidied up, the new workbench with the machines is installed, so I can continue with the diorama (before building the next car!!!).

The former base-plate is cut into pieces which serve as templates. The new base-plate (hard foam with self-adhesive surface) is already covered with grass from the model railway supply, but only with removable spray adhesive onto the cover foil:

Templates are placed onto the board, cut at the edges through grass and protecting foil, the latter peeled off, the grass in the exact same size placed onto the self-adhesive surface:

Freshly mown lawn:

Reminiscence of my annual holidays, finest sand from the Beach of Amrum in the North Sea:

Applied on the paths:

Some decoration:

...and everything sprayed with a dozen of cans of semi-matte clear lacquer, to fix sand and grass (both causing a lot of dirt :evil: ):

Time to have a look how everything works:

Still have to make further tests with the lighting, as the backdrop looks a little bit hazy, although the photos show a bright blue sky, but I guess this is only the beginning... :lol:

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:05 pm

This one!
Jean B. wrote:Image
Image The Garage

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Love it. The perfect backdrop for your creations.

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Beautiful!
A classic meet in an equally classical environment.

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:57 am

Fantastic effect! Thank you for showing us how you achieved this effect.

PS: Did anyone else notice the likeness of E.T. in one of the side panel trees?
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

stewil

Post by stewil » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 am

That grass in closeup is just awesome Jean, as is the entire affect.
Am loving seeing the cars scattered on lawn and the sandy drive. A real concourse for the "discerning" modeler in fact,
Wonderful. :D
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

gilma

Post by gilma » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Beautiful work Jean, and wonderful idea. Appropriate background to these cars, I really love it 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed May 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Tom wrote:Love it. The perfect backdrop for your creations.
Nice to hear, thank you! Can't wait to build some more cars to "fill" the diorama... :roll:
johann.nunweiller wrote:Beautiful! A classic meet in an equally classical environment.
Thanks! By the way, the Chateau Cheverny is the home of "Tintin & Milou"!
IFHP wrote:Fantastic effect! Thank you for showing us how you achieved this effect. PS: Did anyone else notice the likeness of E.T. in one of the side panel trees?
It's a pleasure for me sharing this with you all! E.T. in the tree??? And I've thought I'm the only one with slight mental illness here... :mrgreen: :lol:
stewil wrote:That grass in closeup is just awesome Jean, as is the entire affect. Am loving seeing the cars scattered on lawn and the sandy drive. A real concourse for the "discerning" modeler in fact,
Wonderful. :D
Thank you! Grass and sand are covered with about 2mm clear lacquer (more than one big can!). Grass and sand were strewing the hole cellar and I have to store it somehow... Once in a time of course I'll make a "Concours d'Élégance"... :P
gilma wrote:Beautiful work Jean, and wonderful idea. Appropriate background to these cars, I really love it 8-)
Thank you! In fact, I plan to build an Art-Déco showroom interior, but this will be a work for years :roll: , so I wanted to make something more simple for the instance.

To furnish the scene, I want to have some flowerpots:

The decoration for them:

...and black-burnished:

Let's see how the the flowers will develop...:

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 10, 2017 10:38 pm

PE trees :D . What will you think of next Jean !

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu May 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Jager wrote:PE trees :D . What will you think of next Jean !
I guess I'll try the thing with the lingerie ;)

Here's a sneak preview of the things to come. Although almost everything worked as expected, it took nearly the whole day to make this first little tree (in Germany it's called Hochstämmchen, how are you calling it?):

After six months of winter, today spring has started in Berlin ( :roll: ), so I think it will take another couple of days or weeks until the tree is blooming... (By the way, the SS Jaguar on the photo arrived yesterday, I simply fell in love with this beauty, although it's neither streamline nor coachbuilt, probably the disc wheels confused my mind...)

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Love the planter with the little tree! Superb work!

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu May 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Jean B. wrote:I guess I'll try the thing with the lingerie ;)
And the plot thickens... :o
Image The Garage

dcast

Post by dcast » Mon May 22, 2017 1:53 am

Beautiful diorama, looking forward how it'll look with those PE parts installed :)

David MG

Post by David MG » Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 am

Jean, not noticed this Solido Voisin Carene before. Have you modded it yet?

Cheers,
David

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Tom wrote:Love the planter with the little tree! Superb work!
Thanks, and meanwhile - according to the season - the trees are blooming!
LUW wrote:
Jean B. wrote:I guess I'll try the thing with the lingerie ;)
And the plot thickens... :o
Really??? :oops:
dcast wrote:Beautiful diorama, looking forward how it'll look with those PE parts installed :)
Thank you, below the first progress can be seen, but of course it will take some further time until everything comes at its place...
dcast wrote:Beautiful diorama, looking forward how it'll look with those PE parts installed :)
Hopefully the wait was worth it :)
David MG wrote:Jean, not noticed this Solido Voisin Carene before. Have you modded it yet?
Nope, that's the original issue by Solido, but I'm sure this will be the first Voisin to be made in my collection - somewhen in the future... 8-)

And now my latest build in front of Cheverny, this time also showing the first planters bearing rose blossoms:

Pairing with one of the other high-class German roadsters of that time: