A New Le Mans Diorama Takes Shape

LUW

Re: A New Le Mans Diorama Takes Shape

Post by LUW » Sun May 21, 2017 9:22 am

Jager wrote:Typically, it was the transporters rather than the cars which attracted most people.
Interesting how the big lumbering behemoths always steal the show.
Jager wrote:If that happens, I'll be sure to come back and post more pictures.
Of course you will! But this time with making-of shots. Right?
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun May 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Ian, what type of material did you use in your diorama?

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Bruno, its mostly simple material.

The base is an internal house door (light, but strong and cheap)
The side walls and pits at the back were made from timber off cuts I found at my dads place; cut to size, then glued and screwed to the base.
The fence posts were made from kebab sticks, cut to length, glued into holes drilled into the base and painted.
The fence was 2 metre length of flywire, cut to size
The base, walls and buildings roadways were painted with Dulux 'suede' texture paint using small sample pots ($10 each).
Finally, I applied fake grass, using material bought from a hobby store (also $10 each):

To apply the grass, I applied a water based glue that was diluted 50% with water so it could be brushed on. The grass was then sprinkled over the glue, but after trial and error I found I had to use a sieve to get it even and avoid clumping. Nevertheless the particular brand of grass I obtained was still a bit coarse and if I did this again I'd look for a finer material.

Once the glue had dried (it dries clear), the base was turned upside down to remove the surplus material. Obviously you need to ensure the glue has fully dried before you place any models on it.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Stu935

Post by Stu935 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:23 am

great diorama Ian, it's certainly impressive to see what you achieved in a relatively short period of time. A shame you can't leave the diorama on display at home.

dcast

Post by dcast » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 am

Excellent diorama and very interesting to see the project pics as well :)

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 am

Stu935 wrote:great diorama Ian, it's certainly impressive to see what you achieved in a relatively short period of time. A shame you can't leave the diorama on display at home.
I could leave it displayed at home Stu......if I want my wife to move out :lol: .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info, Ian!

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Thu May 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Ian

This certainly has a touch of Chrono 43 about it. :D Fascinating diorama which like Chrono 43 I could spend hours looking at and each time I return I find bits I missed first time around. It's very pleasing receiving positive comments, makes all the hard work worth it whether they understand it or not. Personally for me the best bit is when people leave and they have a smile on their faces. That tells me it worked!

Interesting what you say about the transports. When we display at Race Retro we get the same interest.

It''s satisfying to translate a 5 to 6 year idea into reality. I have one also but I need a turntable and a Dunlop Bridge and a very large space ;)

Excellent work Ian especially considering the short space of time you hard. Thanks for sharing.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".