Is it actually feasible to get the scratches out of windows?

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
lussolover

Is it actually feasible to get the scratches out of windows?

Postby lussolover » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:13 am

Howdy!

I have a few spark / redline's / bbr that have some pretty good "swirl marks" in the windows, presumably from cleaning the dust out after not taking care of them perfectly (previous owners). Unfortunately people advertise things as new that are not. Is there any feasible way to clear the scratches up? I have heard tooth paste before, but at this point I'm scared I will damage them, is there anything that will really clear up the scratches?

I'm also scared to try anything on the exterior paint of my resin models that have issues as I am not sure if the problems lie in not enough paint there to begin with, or if if some of the scratches / duller areas can actually be cleaned up. I am pretty familiar with clay bar / wax on a real car but thats it.

I'd really appreciate some advice on if I should attempt any of this, post pics or just be happy with what I have. I can accept flaws and some issues but when it is caused by the previous owner and can be seen under regular lighting it makes me a little compulsive.

Thanks!

Ps I also wanted to say I have taken the advice for any cleaning of dusty models to use mothers detail spray. I can see this working well for deep cleaning but honestly it seemed to create a tiny bit of haze for me? It seemed to clean some dust but the haze left seemed to negate it. Do I just suck at this?
Please check out my collection of mostly vintage but also modern race cars and street cars.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10539

Arvid

Re: Is it actually feasible to get the scratches out of windows?

Postby Arvid » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:35 pm

actually there are ways to loose the scratches on thick clear parts but Do not thing they would work for thin clear parts used on resin models.

using a polishing wax would be the best option for cleaning the clear parts, will give shiny clean look but will not work for scratches :?
Last edited by Arvid on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~Murat~~

Arvid

Postby Arvid » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:35 pm

~~Murat~~

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:54 pm

A polishing compound made for mobile phone displays might also work. For the thin acetate windows in resin models it might be tougher, I'd take the model apart first.

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:20 am

So no magic product I can lightly rub on and boom scratches gone? I looked at the Novius ? plastic scratch remover but I question how hard I can even rub on these window parts without dislodging them, I'd prefer not to have to reglue them obviously. In terms of cleaning up the paint so far I have no been able to help with any of the cloudiness in the paint (probably from dust wearing the finish), maybe a different type wax would be better. Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll just have to play around.
Please check out my collection of mostly vintage but also modern race cars and street cars.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10539

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:05 am

It does rather seem as if you need to remove the defective windows, use them as a template to cut new ones and very carefully attach the new ones. Very fiddly I would say and would wreck any photo etched chrome pieces. Perhaps if you have expert kit builders who are adept at such things in small scale they may be able to retrieve the situation. I believe there has been some posts on the forum about creation of p/e chrome parts.

As for polishing paintwork I have occasionally used carefully swabbed existing paintwork with water dampened cotton wool and a dab of washing up liquid, then clear water swab to remove any bubbles, then carefully dry with a soft cloth to restore the sheen to the paint gloss. I'd only be confident of applying a tiny amount of car polish to a diecast metal model where there is no possibility of damaging p/e or transfers.

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:00 am

To get scratches out of plastic windows made of hard-plastic I use a set of MicroMesh. With which grade to start depends on how deep the scratches are, normally 2500 should be sufficient, but in the worst case a rougher grade could be necessary. Then you have to polish step by step with all further (finer) grades of damp (!) MicroMesh (3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000) and finally with MicroMesh Liquid Abrasive and a soft polishing cloth. This way you reach brilliant clear glossy windows - sometimes better than new! ;) This procedure also works best for polishing lacquer. Be very careful with all polishings made for "real" cars: they usually harm the lacquer by solving it, as the model paints are different from "real" car paints.

To show how this works here an example of my workshop:

The windows of a Matchbox Superfast Lamborghini Marzal after heavy child's room use:

... and after the treatment described above:

(The horizontal line is a split from playing with...)

The vac-formed windows as for some hand-built models usually do not get scratches, as they are softer. Normally these windows get yellowish and turbid with the years... Then indeed you have to replace these windows as this aging process cannot be reversed... :(

Return to “Diecast Tips and Techniques”