Used detail spray to clean part of redline 1/43 ended up with milky ugliness

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
lussolover

Used detail spray to clean part of redline 1/43 ended up with milky ugliness

Postby lussolover » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 am

As the title states I Used detail spray to clean part of redline 1/43 ended up with milky ugliness. I also noticed I got some on the base and it basically stained it. With a little water it cleared up but that doesn't seem to help the model. I made it worse than it was dirty! AHHHH

What gives?
Please check out my collection of mostly vintage but also modern race cars and street cars.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10539

David MG

Re: Used detail spray to clean part of redline 1/43 ended up with milky ugliness

Postby David MG » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:55 am

Don't put anything on a precious model without using a test piece first!
Cheers,
David

lussolover

Re: Used detail spray to clean part of redline 1/43 ended up with milky ugliness

Postby lussolover » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Can anyone recommend what to use on these resin if you get one that is a little bit dusty?

Anyone cleaned one of these up before?

Thanks!
Please check out my collection of mostly vintage but also modern race cars and street cars.

dcast

Postby dcast » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Have used a makeup brush to gently remove the dust from my models. I also use soft cloth and even q-tips to wipe fingerprints away from my models, just have to be very careful not to rub any etched trims or decals as they may come off. Some metal models I have even waxed with real car wax (Korrek new car wax) but wouldn't use it for resin models because I don't know how it will react to it.
Car detailing spray (IPA?) may be too harsh even on metal models as I believe the paint layer is much thinner than real cars.

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Any product that hides swirl marks?

Jager

Postby Jager » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:58 am

Is it a racing model, or a road car ? If its a road car, I would be inclined to try warm water with detergent to remove the detail spray. If its a racing model its a bit more tricky because you risk damaging the decals, though at this point maybe you have nothing to loose by trying ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:16 am

I was able to clean the detail spray off as far as I can tell. It is a racing car btw. I was hoping there is a wax or something to get the swirl marks left from dust to be hidden but I don't want to use anymore products without knowing for sure.

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:11 am

Guys I'm so mad at myself. So the Meguiars detail spray comes in a red bottle. I have a few of the sample size ones kicking around that come for free with clay bar.

Well damnit last weekend at a car show I got a sample megiuars vinyl and plastic protector....do you see where this is going ? yes I sprayed that on my car and screwed it up, the damage can only really be seen at certain angle in heavy light so at least I have learned a lesson and thank goodness on one of my redlines instead of bbr. Wine may or may not have been involved.

David MG

Postby David MG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:40 am

For cleaning I use Megiuars perspex polish and cotton buds. Gently does it is the keynote. It is also useful to wear cotton gloves to avoid finger prints etc.
Cheers,
David

Jager

Postby Jager » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:22 am

Don't worry, we all make silly mistakes. I've carelessly dropped a couple of models in my time, one or two landing on carpet and miraculously surviving undamaged, and one or two landing on ceramic floor tiles with disastrous results. I don't think alcohol was involved, but I could be wrong :D .

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:27 am

Interesting topic! Meanwhile somewhat skilled in model-building I do not use any "real car products" for modelling. Real car lacquers have a completely different formula than those used in model building and are mostly much too "strong" for our purposes. That includes polishes, cloths, waxes, detergents and so on. Most of this stuff inhibits the model paintings what can be seen when using a white cloth and finding remainings of the painting on it after using, even if the result looks good.

First: store your model cars in a dust-sealed cabin. No dust means that you don't have to clean the models ;)

Second: Use a soft and wide dry brush for cleaning. Normally I would recommend natural material (marten hair), but sometimes these brushes inhibit a kind of humidity or grease and leave traces on (dark) paintings. So I meanwhile use synthetic brushes (artist's suppliers).

Third: If a cleaning is really necessary, don't use water or any other liquids, they leave traces! Best is MicroMesh "Liquid Abrasive": that's 12,000 polishing cream to be used with an according soft polishing cloth (also available at MicroMesh). Use only "half of a pin-head" of this stuff on the cloth, so that the cloth is barely moistened and leaves hardly a trace on the painting. Then use a dry piece of the polishing cloth and gently polish the treatened area. This method doesn't leave any traces and gives a clear shine on the painting, removing dust, stains, finest scratches without harming the painting.

Fourth: If this doesn't work, disassemble the car, strip the bodywork and paint it new ;)

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Ok thanks maybe I will try this micromesh. I have also heard the tamiya wax does a good job cleaning up as well as shnining so I will probably try one of them. I think if I had actually used detail spray things would be ok. I do keep my models in a nice sealed cabinet but these are actually cleaning up second hand models I've purchased and arrive in less than described condition.

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Guys ruined an acrylic cover by trying to clean it with rubbing alcohol, it turned all white. Be careful out there!

dbonser
Site Admin

Postby dbonser » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 pm

lussolover wrote:Guys ruined an acrylic cover by trying to clean it with rubbing alcohol, it turned all white. Be careful out there!

You're just not having good luck lately. I think water & a soft sloth is the safest bet for acrylic. Others may have experience with something else...

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:47 am

Ya bad luck for sure!

Here is what it did

https://flic.kr/p/JZG7bF

Jager

Postby Jager » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:25 am

That is bad lack.

I tend to clean acrylic cases with an adhesive remover, though this just removes dirt and grim and won't help with scratches.

A good polishing compound is ordinary white toothpaste. It works a treat taking marks of car paintwork (1:1, not 1:43), but I've never tried it on an acrylic case.

dcast

Postby dcast » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:02 am

Washed one dusty acrylic or plexi cover using ordinary diswashing liquid with good result. Never tried to remove any scratches though, just cleaned it. I don't remember anymore which model it was, maybe different manufacturers use different plastic materials for the clear cover?

lussolover

Postby lussolover » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:43 am

Do you think an air blaster is too strong? I wonder if it can bring up the paint in the area of the headlights.

I ask because I cleaned up a Ferrari 250, it seems there is some glue or something around the headlight. I was wondering if in cleaning the model with the air blaster I could have made the paint lift around the headlights?

Anybody have experience with an air blaster and resin? I thought it would be safe to use but now I figure I ought to ask before proceeding.

Thanks!

Return to “Diecast Tips and Techniques”