Removing decals from a Spark model

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
Jager

Removing decals from a Spark model

Postby Jager » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:50 am

I have a "simple" project to remove the decals on a Spark model and replace them with new decals to replicate the same car from a different race. Has anyone removed decals from a Spark model ? Is it as simple as rubbing them off with acetone, or are they clear coated and need something special to remove them ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Re: Removing decals from a Spark model

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 am

I wouldn't use acetone in any case, it has a tendency to destroy the paintwork. A good acetone-free nail varnish remover works better and a q-tip is the ideal 'tool'.

Sorry, no Spark experience.

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks Tom. When I wrote "acetone", I was actually thinking of nail polish remover, so nice to know we're on the same page. I may just have to "suck it and see".
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Postby Jean B. » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:49 am

NO ACETONE AT ALL!!! :shock: Acetone - and that includes nail polish remover - doesn't only remove paintings (ALL paintings!), but also destroys most plastics. If I am right, Spark models are made of resine/plastic, so you have good chances to soften the bodywork, too. If the decals are on top of the painting, you could try with a cotton swap and warm water, but be careful: If the car is painted with acrylic paint, this reacts with water after a while, too! If the decals are clear painted, it will be quite impossible to remove them... If you're brave, remove them with fine sanding linen (MicroMesh) and polish the painting afterwards. Another option is decal softener (Humbrol etc.): this should solve the decal slightly without harming the painting. The best would be to try any of these methods with an "old" model car to be sure how it works...

csl143

Postby csl143 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:40 pm

They're not clear coated. I've used, um, well, my fingernail and/or wooden toothpick if you don't want to repaint. Nothing harsh, sharp, or very strong. No chemicals.

Serafa

Postby Serafa » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:09 pm

I think you should go to a store that usually sells Tamiya mounting kits and ask for something especific for that purpose.

They will certainly have something appropriate for the job.

Return to “Diecast Tips and Techniques”