Best way to remove stickers/sticker residue from vintage cars?

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
twan55

Best way to remove stickers/sticker residue from vintage cars?

Postby twan55 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:52 pm

I want to peel various stickers off of a few of my vintage die cast cars. What is the best way to do this? What kind of liquid cleaner or "remover" should I use? Also, what tool should I use (toothbrush? Brillo pad? Rough sponge? Other?)? Is there an all-purpose cleaner or do I need one to do the removing job and the other to clean and shine the car? Lastly, what items should I not ever use when cleaning my cars? Are paper towels ok? How about tissues? Cloth towels? Anything verboten? I (obviously) don't wanna strip the paint but I do wanna get the car(s) looking as good as new...

Basically, which Maguire's product should I use lol?

Oh and also: when I want to affix something to a car- say, a headlight, or perhaps a first aid kit (which is actually a small plastic box meant to sit in the window of my Mebetoys BMW 2800 CS ALPINA)- what should I use? Is regular Gorilla glue ok?

Jager

Re: Best way to remove stickers/sticker residue from vintage cars?

Postby Jager » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:07 am

To keep my models looking new I generally lick them all over once a month. Use mouthwash beforehand to give that "extra sparkle" (that way they smell nice too !).
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Postby Tom » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:02 am

:lol:

It's really tough to give general directions. What would work fine on one model could prove disastrous for the next.
I'd use nothing that contains solvent and no abrasive tools to remove anything. You could always experiment on a less visible bit of the model, such as inside a wheelarch.

Skylinefreak

Postby Skylinefreak » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:04 am

Microfiber glass cloth works well if you don't want to damage the paint on the model, just be careful around small parts and stickers as it does tend to grab those.

Benzine or Methylated spirits should remove sticker residue without paint damage, just dont dip the thing in it or overly wet it.
South African collector of Skylines...

Tom

Postby Tom » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:06 am

For glue, don't use cyanoacrylate as that would leave a cloudy residue that would damage your model.

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:25 am

I once made the mistake of thinking I could just remove a sticker from a Japanese 1:43 Lamborghini Silhouette and ended up with it removing a large section of paint. I am now very, very careful..

Stickers, transfers, and tampo printed detail each need their own methods of removal so a degree of experimentation is needed. Probably be best to buy very cheap beaten up wrecks from toy fairs or off the internet and attempt various methods of removal which won't matter if it goes wrong.

Someone on the forum has also warned against using car polish. I have always found careful swabbing of a grubby model with cotton wool soaked in tepid water to which one drop of washing up liquid has been added. Clean water swab and dry with soft cloth.

PLAYLIFE

Postby PLAYLIFE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:50 pm

I remove glue, stickers etc from random stuff by rubbing on several times regular cooking oil - it dissolves the glue. Haven't tried it on model cars though - don't know if that could do any damage to the model or paint.

Return to “Diecast Tips and Techniques”