Basic Photo Sharing with Photobucket

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
guitardave_1

Basic Photo Sharing with Photobucket

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 pm

As this seems to be a regular topic for newcomers (and some more established members!), I thought a quick and easy tutorial might be useful. It doesn't cover anything complex - just simply uploading your photos and sharing them on the forum.

For the purposes of the tutorial, it is presumed that you have created and logged in to a Photobucket account, and that you have some images on your hard drive ready to use. I recommend resizing prior to uploading. Microsoft Picture Manager or similar simple image editors will do this. Sizes of 800x600 or 1024x768 are popular.

The screenshots are from my own account, which obviously contains many images already. Your screen may appear slightly differently, but hopefully the key commands remain the same.

From your 'home' screen, click the "Upload photos and videos" link.

I normally create sub albums for each model/theme. Click "Create new album".

Add an album name, and click "Create album".

Click "Select photos and videos". A window will pop up to choose your pictures from the hard drive, as if you were attaching a file to an email for example.

Allow the images to upload, and then click "View album" (no screenshot for this!)

Now we come to actually sharing the images. When viewing an album (or sub-album), you will see a thumbnail for each image. Hover the mouse over your chosen image and some further options pop up. Click on the text in the "IMG code" box. It should automatically copy. If not, highlight the code and use Ctrl+C.

Now, all you need to do is paste that same text into your forum post. You don't need to worry about adding or creating any new code. The text from Photobucket has everything it needs to work automatically.

Easy! :)
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

DeadCanDanceR

Re: Basic Photo Sharing with Photobucket

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:29 am

Great idea for a thread, Dave! ;)
-Julio-

grinbergs

Postby grinbergs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:04 am

Great guide. I also use Photobucket and think it works very well. Flickr I don't use anymore.

I did'nt actually know that there were a "IMG" code in photobucket - good to know, you always discover new things. :)

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:36 pm

grinbergs wrote:Great guide. I also use Photobucket and think it works very well. Flickr I don't use anymore.

I did'nt actually know that there were a "IMG" code in photobucket - good to know, you always discover new things. :)

Glad to show you a new trick. It makes life so simple - no need to copy URLs or worry about getting the code right.

Planning a little Flickr photo sharing tutorial next, for those who already have some images uploaded there.

orky

Postby orky » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:13 pm

reading this thread, does anyone know how to darken pics and make it look like the front headlights have been turned on? I've been meaning to do a night-time/evening diorama but haven't got a clue how to go about on photobucket.

thanks in advance

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:29 pm

orky wrote:reading this thread, does anyone know how to darken pics and make it look like the front headlights have been turned on? I've been meaning to do a night-time/evening diorama but haven't got a clue how to go about on photobucket.

thanks in advance

Not sure about Photobucket. I could have a crack on Photoshop if you wanted to send a file over. PM me for email address if you wish.

David MG

Postby David MG » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:19 am

Dave,
Every time I upload on my Photobucket it creates a new file even though I have directed the pic. to a nominated file..
How do I stop this ?
How do I get rid of them running at around 150, so it takes longer to find what I do want ?
Cheers,
David

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:23 pm

David, I'm not sure I follow your query entirely. Are you referring to trying to update a photo with the same filename? Or creating unwanted new folders/sub-folders?

David MG

Postby David MG » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:03 am

guitardave_1 wrote:David, I'm not sure I follow your queryOr entirely. Are you referring to trying to update a photo with the same filename? creating unwanted new folders/sub-folders?
Cheers,
David

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:41 am

Hmm, that should only require that you select the folder that you want to upload to from your existing library. Once I've clicked upload, I choose where to direct the upload to from the drowdown menu of existing folders.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like a glitch rather than anything that you are doing wrong David.

orky

Postby orky » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:55 am

guitardave ok I'll get back to you in a few weeks as there's a few more projects I want to be working on before then, won't be uploading any more pics before then, cheers

Jager

Postby Jager » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 am

guitardave_1 wrote:
orky wrote:reading this thread, does anyone know how to darken pics and make it look like the front headlights have been turned on? I've been meaning to do a night-time/evening diorama but haven't got a clue how to go about on photobucket.

thanks in advance

Not sure about Photobucket. I could have a crack on Photoshop if you wanted to send a file over. PM me for email address if you wish.

I'm a bit late with my reply, but thought I'd point out you can also use Powerpoint as a basic photo editor if you don't have Photoshop. As I use Powerpoint almost daily for work, so find this the easiest option to overlay other effects on pictures before I upload them to Photobucket. Though I don't do it very often, here's a few examples I created about 3 years ago using a selection of 1952 Le Mans cars and a small diorama to show the different periods of a 24 hour race .

The basic picture :

Saturday Sunset (created by adding a semi-transparant orange rectangle over the base picture and graduating the colour from top left to bottom right) :

Saturday Evening (created by adding a semi-transparant black rectangle over the base picture and graduating the colour from centre out. The headlights are then added in separately) :

The rain effect was done for me by someone else, but it could also be created in Powerpoint by overlaying a another transparent rectangle filled with fine diagonal white lines which copy and pasted randomly to create the effect) :

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

orky

Postby orky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 am

Those latter pics look amazing, I will try something like these on powerpoint but me being me will defo need some help I'm sure when I get round to it! Won't be until middle-late August though as there's couple of models I'm gonna be working on before then.

LM24HRS

Postby LM24HRS » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:03 am

Hi all

Having just joined the forum these tutorials are just the ticket for an inexperienced forum follower such as myself. So just wanted to say thanks to Dave for producing them and to Martin for sending me the link to find them! Much appreciated.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

Return to “Diecast Tips and Techniques”