Painting Tips and also an example of Repainting a model.

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
stewil

Painting Tips and also an example of Repainting a model.

Post by stewil » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 pm

The key to a good paint job is (1) the preparation and (2) the sanding and polishing after painting. (3) Of course a smooth paint job is also important.

A Yellow 1936 Buick, painted using a rattle can, lacquer, and with a gloss clear coat. (sanded and polished the clear coat)

Sanding starts with maybe 300 then 400 then 600 wet/dry paper (on the bare body or on rough paint), very fine steel wool also helps sometimes. Then after smooth paint application, begin using 2400 -> 3200 -> 4000 -> 6000 -> 8000 -> and finally 1200 grit sanding pads (foam backed and bendable). I also use sanding sticks, strips, and rounds of various grits to get around bends and shapes.

The sanding supplies. Micro-Mark has most of these. The pads are key.

1996 WSC LeMans winner, resin kit, Air brushed using a Vega 2000, paint is an exact match supplied by Model Car World. Clear coated to protect the decals and then sanded as above to get a more realistic finish. The clear coat is too glossy, therefore the sanding.

BTW - those are real louvers above the wheel, one can see the tire through them from above.

1962 Zerex Special also a resin kit, air brush, paint is an exact match supplied by Model Car World, cleared and sanded as above.
Thought you might like to see some cockpit detail too

1920 Monroe Indy Winner, enamel, no clear coat, sanded as above. Much longer drying time than lacquer. Resin kit

Note the leather (rubbing on paint) to show wear

Even has an engine

This Miller was painted using a two-step automotive paint. The metallic goes on dull, and then is clear coated to bring it to life.
The rubber tires were painted with a dull clear coat, the decal added which is now able to adhere to the tire because of the paint, and then the dull clear applied over the decals for their protection. The same tire process was used on the '95 WSC Porsche above. Too bad about the out of scale lettering - and my laziness to obtain properly sized lettering.

BTW - Here is a discussion of Bare Metal Foil application if interested, scroll down the comments section to read and see.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4052

An Example
I couldn't resist this Brooklin 1936 Buick because the fenders are the same as those on our 1:1 1935 Chevy and it was just plain cute, but it's black paint made it disappear in the display case, so I painted it a happy yellow.

Following shows the rework of the Buick.
I lost the windows after removal so had to recreate them from plastic sheet, a first for me. Am happy with the them but am afraid that they are now very fragile. This model pushed my skills a bit but at some point I decided that it was "good enough" and just put it together. Noticed a couple of things after taking these pics so will correct them with a bit of paint or glue.
I hope you enjoy the pics

The paint was stripped using just a bit of paint stripper (not thinner) in a metal tray being careful not to lose small parts.
The parts were then washed with soap, scrubbed with steel wool, primed, lightly sanded, then painted, and clear coated.
Sanded the clear coat with modelling pads starting with 2400 grit, then 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000, and finally 12000 grit which gave it a nice sheen. Polishing gave it a great shine. IMHO sanding and polishing the clear coat gives the model a more realistic finish.

Painted

The small plastic cup (top between clothes pins) was used to test the strength and clarity of four glues on the cuts, Micro Kristal Klear
was the clear winner when compared to Elmer's, Gator's Grip, R/C Modellers glue, and the Micro Klear. So that is what was used to hold
the windows in. Painted the tail lights and turn signals leaving the appropriate bits of chrome unpainted and thus free to shine in the sun.
Cutting the BMF chrome circles on the side mounts required much patience.

You can see the bottom edge of the window cut in the right panel. Making a pattern, cutting, and fittment was a methodical pain.

And there she is.

My personal Colorado collector car tag placed on models that I detail.

It's funny how flaws pop up in photographs that are unnoticed when the model is in ones hand or on the shelf.

Note the chrome strips on the light buckets created by scraping off the paint and also the red badge script etched through the red paint
while drying and still tacky.

Not sure that creating and installing each window pane was worth it other than I was not patient enough to wait for a replacement from
Bob at Dominion Models. That and the fact I also wanted to see how creating more accurately modeled windows would look.

And the windows really are more like the 1:1's now.
Last edited by stewil on Tue May 31, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

grinbergs

Re: Repainting a model.

Post by grinbergs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Well done Steve, and the personal Ste-wil plate is certainly the icing on the cake. :)

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Great work, Steve! :)

And, very nice model of a lovely looking car!
-Julio-

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Nice work, Steve 8-)
Since I struggle with getting a great paint job, I'm wondering how you painted this one. Brush, aerosol can, or air brush? I'm learning that it's what you do after painting (sanding, polishing, clear finishes) that can make a big difference in the results. Prep work is also important, I have found.

RT

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Beautiful work Steve! Your skills really show here and like you said, I'd bet in person the result is even more satisfying.

BB
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

stewil

Post by stewil » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:25 pm

:D Thank you all for your positive comments,

and RT,
I used spray cans on this model, a primer, the yellow, and a gloss clear. Usually I use an airbrush because it has better control.
Micro-Mark has all the supplies you might need including sanding pads and sticks of various grades. In fact 12000 grade feels smooth.
Many pro modelers will never use a clear coat because the results are too nice = fake, but clearcoating decals gives a great advantage.
That is why I started sanding the clearcoat with the pads. Decals are protected but a "real" look is imparted to the paint = all is good.
This cars yellow lacquer required a clear coat and sanding/waxing made it look real.

Here are the best tutorials I know of, from GP Models in the UK, all contain wonderful info even if you never build an F1 car.
Part 1: http://www.grandprixmodels.com/43rdscale-part1.php
Part 2: http://www.grandprixmodels.com/43rdscale-part2.php
Part 3: http://www.grandprixmodels.com/43rdscale-part3.php

Hope this helps.
Last edited by stewil on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:48 am

That looks great! I've done this myself a couple of times and I know what it takes to get such a great finish. Love the colour choice, makes it look very friendly and attractive.

stewil

Post by stewil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Comments much appreciated. Thanks Tom. :D
Steve

69Stang

Post by 69Stang » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Nice work, I am inspired., I have my first 1:43 project setting here waiting for me to get started, I only hope it looks half as good as this. Super job!
Racecar spelled backwards is STILL Racecar!

stewil

Post by stewil » Fri May 20, 2016 10:06 pm

So how did it turn out 69Stang?
Have you ever posted pics? If so I missed them.
Steve