Spark/Bizarre Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
Jager

Re: Spark/Bizarre Miscues

Post by Jager » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks for the correction Gary. The model was limited to only 500 pieces and I assumed it was another creative Minichamps special.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am

protzenegger wrote:
The mirrors are also in the wrong place - should be on the door, rather than the front fenders.
Spark has probably modelled this car according to the "homologation" version of the car?

There are pictures on both mirror placements, on the wings and on the doors, as well as wingless car and with rear wing placed...
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:15 pm

That's a cool find, thanks for sharing. On that note, the homologation version shouldn't have the sliding window cutouts then as on the Spark :P Looks like it's got a green sunstrip as well - which makes this the car Chrono tackled in 1:18, although their wheels, color and entire front end were quite off as well.

I remember the wingless car, it's the one they used for classic NFS in-game footage. I think I might prefer it with a wing though.
"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

Makalu

Post by Makalu » Tue May 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Disappointed by the roof of the 2016 Le Mans winner.

God knows why Spark have made the front black aerial that massive, the pitot tube looks like it's just seen a shooting star and the aerial behind that should be half the size. I've managed to rectify the latter two issues, but I may have manhandled the front one whilst trying to fix it and I may have lost said piece of tiny, very hard to find plastic :D . I think I may stop buying brand new models upon release, I seem to break something 100% of the time lol.

Other than that, she's a beauty.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue May 09, 2017 1:43 pm

A paintbrush hair will do just fine as a replacement.

Makalu

Post by Makalu » Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Tom wrote:A paintbrush hair will do just fine as a replacement.
Tom you're a hero. That works absolutely perfectly.

Ok it's probably not as small as it could be but I'm really happy with how it looks once again. :D

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 am

To be honest, from the photo's it is difficult to spot the difference between the two shots you posted, other than the length? Here is another close up of the antenna arrangement.
copyright Porsche
So they would only require a bit of trimming I would say? Not sure how pitot tubes react on shooting stars, but the horizontal part may need to be trimmed down a little as well, so nothing too difficult with a sharp cutter?

Other than that it is indeed a very good looking model. Spark even placed the twitter handle inside the cockpit, so lots of details to enjoy.

The 919 was accompanied by the two Manthey Porsches from last years N24, and although they paid attention to the different placement of numbers on the doors, they couldn't be bothered to put Kevin Estre on the car...
Pic from Cartima, as I have not taken any pics of the car myself, but mine looks like this as well.
Last edited by 911RSR on Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 am

Sometimes that comes down to individual drivers and licensing issues. Spark haven't been able to put Darren Turner's name on any of his Aston Martins and as a result have to supply the drivers names as separate decals for the collector to apply.

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Fri May 12, 2017 9:51 am

Interesting thought, never heard that before. Do you have a clue which rules would apply here? Because there are many other cars from Spark with his name on the car. This includes Porsches from 2016, but also cars from other N24 events, so I still think it is a mistake. I also tried to contact them to ask for a decal (which would be a pity, because the livery is very well done with pad printing), but no response yet.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am

Here's one of Andy's pictures showing the Spark Aston Martin's with the drivers names supplied separately from the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours (Roald Goethe, Jamie Campbell-Walter & Stuart Hall) :

Makalu

Post by Makalu » Fri May 12, 2017 11:24 am

911RSR wrote:To be honest, from the photo's it is difficult to spot the difference between the two shots you posted, other than the length? Here is another close up of the antenna arrangement.

So they would only require a bit of trimming I would say? Not sure how pitot tubes react on shooting stars, but the horizontal part may need to be trimmed down a little as well, so nothing to difficult with a sharp cutter?

Other than that it is indeed a very good looking model. Spark even placed the twitter handle inside the cockpit, so lots of details to enjoy.
Yeah the way I received it, the first picture, was with the two antennas either side of the pitot tube both completely disproportionate to how they were on the real car, and how they were displayed in 99% of the pics that either Spark released or shops posted. From that I can guess this was a one off and the majority of other people shouldn't have this issue.

The pitot itself wasn't the nice L shape it should be, because the horizontal part was pointing skyward, so I had to take that off and try and bend it into shape.

Noticed the Twitter decal, thats' a really nice touch on Spark's part.

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Fri May 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Aha. Mine looks like this as well:
So the antennas are definitely too long as you pointed out, but I think the thickness is okay as the 1:1 antennas are a bit stubby. I think the most forward antenna be placed right behind the pitot tube and there should be a very small one at the front, so maybe even shorter than what you made. But to be honest I will not attempt to fix it on my model...

@Ian, do you have any clue why? Does Spark need to license every diver? Or can a driver protect his name as a trademark?

Makalu

Post by Makalu » Fri May 12, 2017 5:41 pm

911RSR wrote:Aha.
So the antennas are definitely too long as you pointed out, but I think the thickness is okay as the 1:1 antennas are a bit stubby. I think the most forward antenna be placed right behind the pitot tube and there should be a very small one at the front, so maybe even shorter than what you made. But to be honest I will not attempt to fix it on my model...
Yeah the thickness is fine, just the size which makes no sense considering Spark's accuracy in other areas.

Had to fix it after you'd mentioned, if a job's worth doing and all that.. Does look a lot better now that I've sorted it. I don't blame you, I only did it because I've had too much practice now repairing brand new Spark models due to clumsiness :lol:

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Sat May 13, 2017 4:43 am

Makalu wrote:I only did it because I've had too much practice now repairing brand new Spark models due to clumsiness :lol:
Haha, that's what I try to avoid :) Although the outcome does look good!

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat May 13, 2017 5:43 am

911RSR wrote:@Ian, do you have any clue why? Does Spark need to license every diver? Or can a driver protect his name as a trademark?
I don't know exactly. I think most drivers just think its cool to have a model of the car they drove, but some are more particular. Here in Australia, we've had model makers like Biante signing "Exclusive" arrangements with drivers like Jack Brabham, Peter Brock, Allan Moffat and Dick Johnson to release collections of the cars they drove. reportedly in return for a share of the proceeds. However, this hasn't stopped other brands from releasing models of their cars, though Moffat refuses to autograph models released without his approval.