Make Up Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
protzenegger

Make Up Miscues

Post by protzenegger » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Didn't think we'd ever need this category as Make Up's level of accuracy tends to be famously impeccable, but they too are human and with that I'd like to address one of their latest releases.

I was super excited to hear a little while back that they'd soon be making the Singer Porsches. Well, now the nicest color is out, and although it's one of the better renditions of the 964 I've seen in this scale, it fails to capture the magic of the 1:1 Singer.

Here's the original, for reference.

And this, of course, is the Make Up.

First thing that jumps out is the incorrect positioning of the stripe, which, aside from not even matching their side-view illustration, makes the car look heavier than it is, since the stripe now doesn't visually break the expanse of bodywork between the wheels. This isn't helped by the rocker panel being positioned far lower than normal and not aligned with the bottom of the car at the front as it should be. To wit - the body ends about 2/3 of the way down the orange part of the wheel on the 1:1, but is aligned with its lower edge on the 1:43. On top of this, the body also doesn't "tuck" underneath the car as on the 1:1, losing all the leanness of the Singer.

I can forgive the overly bulky front bumper and not sufficiently swept-back lower valance, but it doesn't take an eagle eye to see that the entire part between the wheels is so far off it actually messes with the character of the car. Too bad - I was looking forward to this one.
"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

Tom

Re: Make Up Miscues

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm

That would put me off too. So much has gone slightly wrong that it's not even the same car in the end.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:41 am

I really couldn't stomach that. And I thought they were a top brand... So my old rule from my 1:18 days ("Buy the model, not the brand") also applies to 1:43.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:02 am

I'm going to see what the production model looks like before deciding.
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Stu935

Post by Stu935 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:14 am

scalainj wrote:I'm going to see what the production model looks like before deciding.
agreed Andy, the photos are of a sample/pre production model. I'll wait until the release photos before making a judgement.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:51 am

I agree that there may be slight changes when they start producing it.

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:50 am

Just thought I'd keep you guys updated - MU have just released what appear to be photos of the production run, because all the colorways are now model photos.

The stripe issue looks like it's been fixed in relation to the door (which I guess explains my original image links not appearing), but nothing else has. I really hope I'm wrong about these being production models, because after the epic job they did on the Carrera 2.7 RS, what I'm seeing here continues to baffle me.

The following photo is an especially big turnoff.

1:1 for reference:

Notice how the door sill on the 1:1 is basically aligned with the center of the rear wheel, and the bottom of the car sits above the tip of the spoke? On the Make Up the sill runs nearly at the bottom of the rear bumper, which pushes the base of the rocker panel as far down as the edge of the chrome lip. Hate to say it, but I've seen this done better on budget models. On top of that, the "body tuck" of the lower door and rocker of the 1:1 is nearly absent on the Make Up, further highlighting the error.
Last edited by protzenegger on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:04 am

Plus, no chrome bumpers (or was that a factory optional?) and doesn't the turn signal look a bit short on the model? On the real car it seams to advance a bit more towards the wheel.
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 am

With panel gaps that size, you'd expect it to have opening panels ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Stu935

Post by Stu935 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:00 pm

shame about the errors, it will disappoint those looking forward to this model. Goes to show every manufacturer can make a duff model

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:13 pm

LUW wrote:Plus, no chrome bumpers (or was that a factory optional?) and doesn't the turn signal look a bit short on the model? On the real car it seams to advance a bit more towards the wheel.
The Gulf Blue version didn't have chrome bumpers so I guess they just treated the others the same way. Turn signal does look a bit short, but certainly forgivable - TBH I was so let down by the midsection errors I didn't even notice the minor stuff :D
Stu935 wrote:shame about the errors, it will disappoint those looking forward to this model. Goes to show every manufacturer can make a duff model
The sad thing is how much these will cost. You'd think at that level MU would do extra diligence with their research before someone signs off on it. I could look past small mistakes like those bumpers, but when half the car looks off, this is literally my reaction:

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Having been (in)famously unsatisfied with Spark's rendition of the 964-generation Porsches, I've been cautiously awaiting Make Up's continued releases of that body style.

Unfortunately, based on the latest pics of their Carrera 2, they're looking rather rough:

My criticism of Spark stemmed from their failure to do the slightly flattened wheel arches to stay true to the 1:1 form, making the car look somewhat exaggerated and cartoonish as a result. Unfortunately, Make Up went too far in the opposite direction, giving the back end of the 964 almost truck-like squared-off fenders at the rear. The bottom-heaviness doesn't help either - the bumpers & side skirts are way too massive, especially at the rear. Looks like some kind of kit replica of a 964 instead of the real deal. I actually think the Spark is better :o

Here's what I don't get - the one thing Make Up got right with their Singer 964s were the fenders and rear end:

I was hoping that with the limited changes needing to be made from those bodies, the "stock" version would be a shoo-in for the most accurately-represented 1:43 model of the 964. Doesn't seem like this will be the case. Still clinging to the dream that the inevitable Carrera RS will be a better effort, but not really holding my breath :(
Last edited by protzenegger on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 pm

In Spark's case what really gets to me are those over-square rear fenders :shock:.
Image The Garage

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:06 pm

LUW wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 pm
In Spark's case what really gets to me are those over-square rear fenders :shock:.
You sure you’re not talking about Make Up? Spark’s rear fenders are not squared at all (see the link in my first paragraph) - now that you realize those were pics of a Make Up model, you’ll likely find the mistakes even more shocking. These guys really seem to be slipping lately.

I can see how the order in which I posted the photos might have made it confusing. Order updated!

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:39 am

The red one is from Make up?!? :shock:
Fornicate me. It looks terrible! The Gulf-blue one I could live with but that red one is REALLY crappy. And for the price they charge????
Image The Garage