Comparison: Affordable X Expensive

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
jna

Re: Comparison: Affordable X Expensive

Post by jna » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 am

It will be interesting to see if Spark have been made aware of the incorrect wheel design on their R8 models since their 2017 catalogue features all three 2000 cars as future releases. Furthermore I know of two online retailers who are accepting advance orders for the 2004 Team Goh #5 car (43LM04) which is not in the 2017 catalogue.

As an aside, there are others from the 43LM** series on their way back to the shops including those from 1982, 2009 and 2011. Hopefully that will deter TRAX and the like!

jna

Post by jna » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:14 am

Let me add to the above with comments about the 2008 R10. I happen to have both versions of the #2 car – a long story but I thought I’d compare them today.

There is a clear error with the Spark. A picture of the actual car as per page 116 of the Le Mans Annual clearly shows that you are able to see all of the national flag on the side of the car in between the two air outlets (or whatever they are). Minichamps has that designed well. On the Spark only half the flag is visible because the distance between the two outlets is too short. Furthermore the same convex issue with the wheels is evident, but not quite as obvious as on the R8.

In fact (and as on so many Minichamps models) the only real criticism is with the aerials, which are too thick. Overall I think the Minichamps version is best and very much a cheaper model to buy at present.

PS I have the Minichamps version of the 2007 winning R10, and from a comparison today with a Spark version currently on eBay the same issues arise. No surprise I guess.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 26, 2017 2:04 pm

I didn't do detail shots as my setup doesn't lend itself for that, but at least here's a comparison between an HPI and a cheap partwork version of the Lancia Stratos. Not the same livery, but some of the details can be compared.

I don't know what the HPI would cost when new, EUR 60-ish? I assume the PW is about EUR 15 new. Antenna is a giveaway, as are the solid exhausts. PW is missing the mudflaps too.
All in all the PW doesn't look too bad, unless you park it next to an HPI.

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Tom wrote:All in all the PW doesn't look too bad, unless you park it next to an HPI.
Ain't that the truth! Specially if you display it with it's side facing the observer.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Sun May 28, 2017 2:36 am

That is rather impressive if it's a €15 model.
"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun May 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Its a pity we can't have more models of this quality for €15 (but if we did, where would we put them all :D ).
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun May 28, 2017 8:22 pm

We would have our cabinets "flooded" with models... wait... we already do! :lol:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun May 28, 2017 10:56 pm

EUR 15 is my estimate, I paid 2.50 for the PW.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 am

Tom wrote:EUR 15 is my estimate, I paid 2.50 for the PW.
With a heist like that you picture is gong to be hanging up in the Post Office. ;)
Jeff
ImageImage