BoS Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
protzenegger

BoS Miscues

Post by protzenegger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:21 pm

I have in my collection a Vector M12 from these folks. I'm sure a few of you have one as well - a very nice model, especially given the price point. So I'm not sure if this is a miscue, but when I placed it next to my other cars, something struck me.

This car is BONKERS wide compared to some other 1:43 supercars.

While some of this is accurate (the M12 is 35 mm wider than the F50 and has 10 mm on the XJ) and the rest is an illusion caused by the Vector's blockiness & radical window graphic compared to the much narrower greenhouses on the Jag and Fezza, it still seems proportionally wider than even the 1:1 M12 - even accounting for lens distortion. No top view of the real car exists, but somehow I imagine it being more slender than the model. Check out the taper on the 1:1 vs. a kind of "pancakey" front profile on the model, and the taller-looking rear fascia on the yellow car.

And yet... every detail on the 1:43 looks correct in relation to adjacent components - the sole exception being a flat rear decklid when it should bulge slightly. When I busted out a metric ruler to measure it at its widest and tallest points, the dimensions scaled up to within millimeters of the real thing, if this link is to be trusted. Impressive, to say the least:

Length: 111-112 mm ~ 4773-4816 mm (4780 on 1:1)
Height: 26.4 mm ~ 1135 mm (1130 on 1:1)
Craziest of all, width: 46.5-47 mm ~ 2000-2021 mm (2019 on 1:1)

This means either the model looks wider than it really is, or I'm completely wrong & going crazy :shock: :D Who's a big enough Vector geek who can shed light on this conundrum?
Last edited by protzenegger on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
"It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability." -Bruce McLaren

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: BoS Miscues

Post by JSB33 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Pictures of the model might help :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 am

JSB33 wrote:Pictures of the model might help :lol:
Updated!

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:57 am

Looks fine, and if your measures are correct then it is perfect! I'd say the shape is not 100% accurate (like in most cases somebody steps on the Neo/Bos models before putting them into production :lol: :lol: ).

I do not think it is correct to compare the sizes as both Jag and F50 are European cars, and Vector is a supercar SUV (I mean American, referring to its huge size).
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:46 pm

I think I figured out what's to blame for the model's hind quarters looking squished compared to the real car - it's the absence of upward curvature on the decklid that I mentioned earlier.

Since on the 1:1 it sort of follows the curve of the spoiler, the ratio between the rear fascia and the distance from it to the spoiler is about 60/40. On the model, because that line is so flat it's nearly convex, while total height remains the same, the distance from decklid to spoiler is thus larger at the expense of fascia height, and the ratio is more like 55/45 or even lower.

The front I guess I can ascribe to the optical impossibility of seeing the extreme proportions of the car the same way in 1:43 as one would the 1:1. Ugh, being a car designer makes me care way more than I should about these things :oops: :D

Still an epic model, anyway - though I wish they painted the spoke cutouts in the wheels:

I'll be looking to get an Isdera 112i later, we'll see how it compares to the 1:1 photos :P

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Interesting to note the air channel in the sill behind the front wheel on the gold car, and missing from the 1:43.

protzenegger

Post by protzenegger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm

I think the lighting is playing tricks on you. The sill is solid there.

Here's the same car in daylight:

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:30 am

Yes, the studio lighting has created odd 'moulded' shapes in the shadows under the door.

I recall seeing pics of the Vector in it's Mk1 guise as mags like 'Motor Trend' in 1972 got very excited about this US confection which looked very 'space age' and seemingly influenced by the Lambo Countach. It evolved via a series of lightly modified concepts always with the promise that production would start soon.

Then when it finally got to series production the shape gradually softened in the Megatech/Lambo period. The Chrysler owned Diablo was more fashionable at that time and I can see those influences as Vector progressed.
Vector was always an interesting car for me as a supercar fan. I'm fairly certain I've never seen a 1:1 in the flesh. Not sure it ever made the pages of 'Style Auto' or 'Car Styling' either. Reading Vector's convoluted history on 'Wikipedia' reveals plenty of twists and turns and answers some questions too.

You mention being a car designer. What company/s have you worked for and cars that you can tell us about?

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:18 am

The gold car (1:1) does have a different air channel, but this silver example compares well to the model.

I had to dig out my model to thech with real car pics, and it matches quite well.. the "shoulder" line is not that flat, and yet it should be pretty complicated to replicate all models to 1/43 (even with 3D scanners)...
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096