Ignition Problems

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
Jager

Ignition Problems

Post by Jager » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:19 am

Just a word of caution for anyone buying the Ignition 1987 Rothmans Porsche 962's......A friend just received his and it didn't come with the Rothmans decals. While the Ignition website shows the models without Rothmans markings, it was assumed they would supply decals under the baseplate like Spark.

The Japanese have historically had a fairly relaxed attitude to tobacco liveried models, but not in this case.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

scalainj
Site Admin

Re: Ignition Problems

Post by scalainj » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 am

As far as i understand the Japanese market ones only come with the decals.
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 am

Andy, my friend bought it from Japan via eBay. He's tried contacting the seller, but so far had no success.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw ... 3&_sacat=0

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 am

Well that is strange.
I source mine from Japan and they have all come with decals, mostly fitted but sometimes not and the two that did not had the decals arrive in the post about two weeks later.
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:40 am

I guess if the decals take a further two weeks to arrive there is still hope. You would think the seller would communicate this in advance, or at least include a note when they send the model.

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 am

At least for the HPI models the pre-cut decals are a royal PITA to source. Since I assume this model doesn't have a removable engine cowl, I think it would be easier to get regular decals, though some delicate cutting will be necessary because of the exhaust port.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:56 am

Ignition is doing what HPI did - they have a decal "campaign" where you need to fill out a form online and, as Andy said, the decals will be sent later. In this case the decals are supposed to ship in mid-July. Hopefully you get your decals.

Here's a link to their convoluted process:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks Douglas, that's good information, but clearly a trap for those buying Ignition models for the first time. At this price, the last thing you expect is an incomplete model.

jna

Post by jna » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:31 am

Hello Douglas,

I’m the party who has obtained the Ignition Rothmans #19 and is seeking to obtain the tobacco decals. I’m obliged to you for the link that leads the way to ordering the decals from them but I’m struggling with it.

The link is to a form that must be fully completed. I can satisfactorily complete all bar the box next to the word ‘phonetics’. I understand in general terms what is meant by phonetics, but what, in Japanese terms, am I expected to type in that box which will be accepted and allow the application to proceed? Do you have any knowledge of these forms that you can pass on please?

Hoping you can help with this.

John

dbonser
Site Admin

Post by dbonser » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:57 pm

jna wrote:Hello Douglas,

I’m the party who has obtained the Ignition Rothmans #19 and is seeking to obtain the tobacco decals. I’m obliged to you for the link that leads the way to ordering the decals from them but I’m struggling with it.

The link is to a form that must be fully completed. I can satisfactorily complete all bar the box next to the word ‘phonetics’. I understand in general terms what is meant by phonetics, but what, in Japanese terms, am I expected to type in that box which will be accepted and allow the application to proceed? Do you have any knowledge of these forms that you can pass on please?

Hoping you can help with this.

John
I should have mentioned that form works only if you live in Japan. If you don't your only options are to find someone in Japan who can get them for you, look for an online shop that sells the models with decals, or Yahoo! Japan auctions.

jna

Post by jna » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Thank you for your prompt response.

This just gets more annoying. I’m not willing to buy another model with the decals applied or supplied since this would be very expensive. Furthermore, I don’t have any contacts in Japan to apply for the decals on my behalf other than possibly the on-line shop through which the purchase was made, i.e. Hobby Search.

Apologies Ian, I may have confused you with my emailed explanation. As soon as I realised the decals were missing I emailed Hobby Search. From their reply it was clear they have no experience of models and tobacco decals so it was then that I tried to contact the Japanese seller on eBay but he has blocked anybody asking questions.

The general email contact form for Ignition also has this ‘phonetics’ box so I’m going to write again to Hobby Search including the link to the application form, the barcode number on the box etc. and will ask them if they would please apply on my behalf.

The only other option is to buy a set of Rothmans decals that suit a 1987 962 but there is a problem with that method and why I need the Ignition product.

If you scroll back up to the picture Ian has posted you will note that Ignition, unlike Spark, have added the Rothmans emblem on the nose, the engine cover, and the tail fins but without the word Rothmans thereon. Spark leaves the whole emblem off of the model and all the third-party decal sheets I’ve found suit a Spark model. One would have to over-decal this confounded Ignition example if their decal can’t be easily removed.

Goodness me, what a mess. I hope somebody from Spark is reading this, because I would readily buy a #19 from you and dispose of this Ignition example. For anyone who is wondering, the #19 car from 1987 unfortunately crashed during qualifying and was a non-starter. Although Spark have released various Le Mans non-starters this one has been ignored.

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:26 am

http://www.ebay.com/usr/mtu100903?_trks ... 7675.l2559

This seller had helped me on finding a bunch of models inside Japan. .English good and very trustworthy.
He charges a commission on his time but worth a go if you get stuck.
Lars

jna

Post by jna » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

That’s kind of you to tell me about the Japanese seller. Thank you. I’m waiting for a response to a message sent to the online retailer who supplied the model. As I’ve got less than two weeks to go before the end of the application period if they don’t reply promptly I may well get in touch with the man you know.

It’s so hard corresponding by email as the supplier can only be contacted by online form and the message box would not accept all the hyperlink characters in the link provided by Douglas. All I could do was direct them to the Ignition website and the ‘campaign’ tab.

I strongly believe I’ve wasted my time and have certainly learned a lesson here.

jna

Post by jna » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:18 am

Well, all I can say with a positive tone is that the retailer replied promptly. They however have refused to cooperate stating my request ‘is outside their comfort zone’. So, rotormotor, I’m now going to write a begging letter to the eBay seller you recommended. He’s my last option.

jna

Post by jna » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 am

Rotormotor,

I wanted to send a PM to you but for whatever reason I can’t find the method to send one. I am therefore hoping you read this post because it is a personal thank you from me.

The eBay seller in Japan that you referred to in your post on June 26 has helped me in obtaining the Rothmans decals for the Ignition model. He applied for them on my behalf and shipped them to me without even seeking shipping costs up front. I propose sending him a little gift as a thank you.

Without your recommendation I would have lost out so I am very much obliged to you.

I guess my experience goes as a warning to anybody living outside of Japan that if you buy an Ignition model that involves tobacco sponsorship unless somebody in Japan can apply for them on your behalf you’ll never obtain them.

So a big thumbs up to a forum where we all try to help one another.

John

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Glad it all worked out for you John. Its situations like these where being a forum member is invaluable.

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Happy to help.
If anyone else after obscure or Japanese only releases, hit the above eBay seller up.
Lars