Spark/Bizarre Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
DeadCanDanceR

Re: Spark/Bizarre Miscues

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:41 am

That Galaxie is probably Spark's worst model! A photo of its taillights was recently posted elsewhere, and it's a total miss as well! :?
-Julio-

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:53 am

Grill seems to be the wrong shape as well.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:02 am

They really screwed the pooch on one of my favorite Fords.
Jeff
ImageImage

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Every time a company builds a bad version of a car like this, it is so sad because it is unlikely that a good version will every be made (unless its a Mustang).
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

danny

Post by danny » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:33 am

while looking for the 1981 le mans , wera porsche 935K3 i found out , the colour is wrong

original

spark seems green

fujimi is blue

even the old quartzo is blue

raystaggs

Post by raystaggs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:36 am

^^The 1:1 certainly doesn't look as blue as the fujimi or old quartzo^^

Perhaps it's an odd light that the Spark is pictured in compared to the 1:1?

Stu935

Post by Stu935 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 pm

danny wrote:while looking for the 1981 le mans , wera porsche 935K3 i found out , the colour is wrong

original
In the Book 'Le-Mans 1980-1989' there is a picture of the #61 935 on page 76. The photo of the car shows the colour to be a very dark green rather than a blue. The stripes around the car change from dark green to turquoise.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Its always looked blue to me in every picture I've seen of this car, whether on the track or stationary, in the sun or in the shade (though not as blue as the Quartzo or Fujimi versions). In truth the ideal colour is probably half between where Spark has it and where Fujimi have it :

The evidence isn't just from Le Mans though. This car ran with the same livery all through 1981 and the first half of 1982 at various DRM and various WEC events, and to me it looks blue in all of them :

Here's the chassis history :

http://www.racingsportscars.com/chassis ... 00003.html
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

I just picked up Spark's 1996 Le Mans #1 Kremer K8. THe model has the gold BBS type wheels shown in Spark's picture below :

However, almost every picture I can find of the car shows it with white, 6 spoke wheels. Did Spark get the wheels get wrong ?

In addition, it was only after posting the pictures here I realised that the three red stripes also appear to be too narrow. Note how on the picture below the edge of first stripe is in line with the tailing edge of the duct on the engine cover, but on the model it runs through the middle of the duct.

http://www.lemans-history.com/fotos.php ... =0&piloto=

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:15 am

The model has some livery over the back wheel arches, but on the real car it's blank. I wonder if Spark has a picture you can't find? I think the 6 spoke wheels suit the car a lot better.
Steve

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Drivers names too - different order and in red in the pics. Practice maybe?
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Glen

Post by Glen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:31 pm

I found this pic http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/photo/ ... ig-harri-1 with the gold rims.
Stripes are still too thin though.

In the second photo in your link it seems to have the gold ones too.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:34 am

scalainj wrote:Drivers names too - different order and in red in the pics. Practice maybe?
Thanks Andy. I agree that's the most logical explanation. However plenty of the other pictures of the car with the white wheels show it being very dirty which must be from the race.
Glen wrote:I found this pic http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/photo/ ... ig-harri-1 with the gold rims.
Stripes are still too thin though.

In the second photo in your link it seems to have the gold ones too.
Thanks Glen, nice to know there is a picture of the car at speed with the gold wheels. However, the 2nd photo from the link I gave looks like a pre-race promotional picture.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:08 pm

I hope Spark correct this fairly monumental stuff up before these go on sale....the cars have the drivers names switched over. Streiff is in car 25 but the name on the side of the car is "J. Laffite". Laffite is in 26 but the name on the side is "Ph. Strieff".

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:49 am

That's a bad mistake which will hopefully be corrected.

I was interested to see in how Spark have dealt with the tobacco issue by just removing one letter from 'Gitanes' rather than removing the whole logo. I wonder if we'll see this on other tobacco sponsored models ?

R32Dave

Post by R32Dave » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Just been trawling through some of the posts on the various Spark(admittedly few) bloopers over the years...

It never ceases to amaze me how precise you guys can be!

As far as the Porsche 935 K3 #61 is concerned, I'm blue/green colour blind so its all the same to me ;)
Seems strange that such a quality manufacturer such as Spark should have missed something as obvious as colour shades - maybe someone in the workshop was hungover :lol:

D

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:18 am

R32Dave wrote:Just been trawling through some of the posts on the various Spark(admittedly few) bloopers over the years...

D
One of the things I like to do when I get a new model Dave is compare it to any pictures I may have of the 1:1. Without trying to be a 'rivet counter', some of the errors can be very obvious which is a pity.

Arizona Joe

Post by Arizona Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:45 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:So, Spark is having trouble with wheels...

This new Cadillac model has incorrect (Eldorado/Sixty Special) wheel covers!

;)
Regardless of whether the manufacturer screwed up the wheels, I still want this car! Perhaps I could swap out the wheels myself.......... :idea:

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Jager wrote:
R32Dave wrote:Just been trawling through some of the posts on the various Spark(admittedly few) bloopers over the years...

D
One of the things I like to do when I get a new model Dave is compare it to any pictures I may have of the 1:1. Without trying to be a 'rivet counter', some of the errors can be very obvious which is a pity.
Same here. Researching and dare I say scrutinising a model is all part of the collecting for me. It makes the appeal of a new addition last much longer. It also means I've started to accumulate a few reference books which are enjoyable and enlightening in their own right.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

Brecht

Post by Brecht » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 am

A big error Spark made was with the 2013 Le-Mans SRT Vipers.

The design of the wheels are correct, but the color is not! In my opinion this has a big difference on the look of the model.
A friend of mine took the wheels off and changed them to the correct color for me, models looks much better now (And it's correct)

Here are some pictures of the model how spark released it - An original picture from the cars from Le-Mans 2013 - And a picture from my modified model:

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:54 am

This was mentioned before when Spark first released pictures of the model. The wheel change is good and as you say makes it correct.
Steve

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Wed May 06, 2015 5:20 pm

The 1997 Daytona 24 Hour winners started the race in car #16 but finished in #20. I don't recall what rule allowed them to transfer to another car when theirs broke. Spark recreated the #16 and called it the winner. I wrote them immediately after the release and told them of their error but their response was one of unconcern they have not fixed it to this day. The cars are identical but for the number. If this were a 10th place LeMans Porsche they not only would have fixed it but sent me a free replacement for mentioning it.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat May 09, 2015 8:28 pm

I've not heard of the error with the Daytona car before, but obviously it pays to do some research before you buy rather than after the purchase.

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Post by RaceOddity » Fri May 22, 2015 12:40 am

Jager wrote:I've not heard of the error with the Daytona car before, but obviously it pays to do some research before you buy rather than after the purchase.
I am not sure it was an error. I believe that all six drivers were listed to drive both the #16 Riley and Scott
as well as the #20 Riley and Scott. Once the #16 car was retired those drivers then were available to drive the #20 car.
I am not toally certain this was the case, but as of late, Scott Tucker has been listed as driver on both of his Level 5
Motorsports cars whenever they race and as long as he gets sufficient "seat time" then collects points from both drives in the race.
That's my best guess based on a sample of two... It would be interesting to find out for sure.

Scott