This Sub Forum

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
scalainj
Site Admin

This Sub Forum

Postby scalainj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 am

As Scale143 has grown and the scope and type of models has broadened it has become obvious that there are a number of models out there and in some cases manufacturers where accuracy to the original and quality control have been remiss.

The intention of this sub forum is to highlight these issues in a mature and constructive manner whereby examples of these practices can be shown in pictures against examples of the original where possible

It is not the intention of this forum to have a general whinge about costs, perceived injustices against manufactuers, sellers and any one else, but it is intended to be constructive in the hope that manufacturers will be interested in what this forum of vehicle and model enthusiasts think of their products with a view to engaging with us or at a minimum take note of the issues with a view to helping them improve their products going forward.

Any posts that do not meet the criteria, i.e. abuse, pursuing an agenda, unsubstantiated and unverified critiscm will be deleted without appeal or notice and anyone who is persistant in such matters will find themselves subject to the same as their posts.

And the reason for this stance. If you are a manufacturer, dealer or anyone else who reads this after how many abusive posts would you switch off? On the other hand would you remain interested if the critiscm was genuine, verifiable and in the interests of the hobby in general, the manufactuer themeselves and the members of the forum? We know which we prefer

Jeff & Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

guitardave_1

Re: This Sub Forum

Postby guitardave_1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Couldn't agree more. For topics like these to work, critiscim has to be researched and objective. I don't think I've often seen a forum where it would be possible - it just turns into the 'bashing' argument over and over. Happily, we have the membership here to take a rather more constructive stance.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:14 am

What a great, mature idea for a Sub-forum! Well done guys! ;)
-Julio-

GBOAC002

Postby GBOAC002 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 am

Yes we are never afraid to voice our criticism when a model does not meet expectations and I cannot think of any examples of offence taken at the comments. To have bought an item there has to have been acceptance for one reason or another. Often buying online we are working from photographs which because of the angle or lighting used do not show the nuances of a wrong window line or slightly out of proportion wing or whatever. It is only when we unwrap the parcel, remove the item from the box we suddenly see acetate windows which don't fit or poorly applied photo etched trim slanting away from the horizontal and sat in the bottom of the box or worse still, missing altogether.

What looked like a nice metallic gold colour in the photo turns out to be a sludgy brown colour - and that happened to me with an ebbro Toyota 2000GT. But then colour is more subjective than actual bits falling off or poor assembly/finish.

Do we say "I'll send it back? or just put it on the shelf and kid ourselves that we'll sort it out having just shelled out £30 - 100? or sell it on and hope that the next buyer will be more accepting than we have been?

Usually by this point a manufacturer has knocked out 1,000 to 10,000 of what we've just bought and is well down the line with other models in their catalogue and while I can see that our build up of constructive criticism will ultimately reflect on how well (or not) a manufacturer has done, we will still be 'whistling in the wind' for a while.

Having seen real 'howlers' from Minichamps - body coloured louvres of the Lamborghini Miura - and emailed criticism to them, what response did I get? Paint it yourself! Three Miura models got by before that defect got changed - even then it was only on new colours. Not even a hint of re-issuing the three wrong-uns! There is certainly no excuse for these type of faults to escape the quality control process, especially when so much reference material is available at our and more importantly the manufacturers fingertips.

Although they probably wouldn't admit it a manufacturer would probably say that a model would cost even more or be delayed even longer if they were to enforce their service level agreement on Chinese factories. It is interesting that Porsche in the last few months have allegedly rejected batches of models for poor quality control and I can imagine that this hurts Minichamps far more than the odd email from a disgruntled collector!

Well done to Andy and Jeff for devising this sub forum. Let's hope it reaches the right people and we the collectors get our voice heard. We are now paying too much to accept slapdash quality standards!

The CSL

Postby The CSL » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 am

If you have any love for the hobby whatsoever, you wouldn't want to go overboard in this forum, when its intention is to improve the hobby for all of us.

A very good idea.

Return to “Manufacturer Miscues”