HPI Miscues

Find a model with an issue? Post your findings here.
builthatch

Re: HPI Miscues

Postby builthatch » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:05 pm

i wanted to add that i still haven't figured out the yellow lamp thing but i also noticed that the #63 car of the '89 cars had an exceptionally small hole on the nose vs. the rest. the one in the center above the Mercedes emblem...much smaller on the #63 car for that race. the HPI set all have the same size holes.

Jager

Postby Jager » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:45 am

I think its a bit unrealistic to expect HPI to have made two different castings because of the size of the air duct.

As it was HPI, never made any money from their 1:43 series and went out of business. Clearly they were already putting more investment into the models than they were getting back.

Don't let a small thing like this detract from what is otherwise a beautiful set. Remember that before HPI came along we only had the 25 year old "Max Model' version of the winning 1989 Sauber :

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Baxter

Postby Baxter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:16 am

Jager wrote:I think its a bit unrealistic to expect HPI to have made two different castings because of the size of the air duct.

As it was HPI, never made any money from their 1:43 series and went out of business. Clearly they were already putting more investment into the models than they were getting back.

Don't let a small thing like this detract from what is otherwise a beautiful set. Remember that before HPI came along we only had the 25 year old "Max Model' version of the winning 1989 Sauber :

Spark would make them different (assuming they knew). It's one of the things that puts them above the majority and also makes them more expensive than the majority. I own the Sauber as a Starter, Max and Ixo. Had I been more patient, I could have saved that money and bought the HPI instead. As it is, I'm satisfied with the Ixo.

I only own one HPI, a Porsche 956. It was 40% more expensive than the Minichamps it replaced, but in those days that was a $16 difference.

builthatch

Postby builthatch » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:27 am

Jager wrote:

is that what happened? i figured it was because their RC business is such high margin, they figured they'd stick with that. i didn't know it was a case where the scale models weren't profitable. it's a shame because at this point i've gotten models from most of their competitors and i still like the HPI stuff (especially the LM cars) the most overall when i consider all things involved.

[img]http://motorsportsminiatures.com/images/detailed/5/MAX-1000-3.jpg?t=1421242592[img]

oh i agree! it's gorgeous. all of the C9 HPI Models are gorgeous. like i said, that HPI model (specifically, #63) and the three car set got me into all of this in the first place.

Baxter wrote:
Spark would make them different (assuming they knew). It's one of the things that puts them above the majority and also makes them more expensive than the majority. I own the Sauber as a Starter, Max and Ixo. Had I been more patient, I could have saved that money and bought the HPI instead. As it is, I'm satisfied with the Ixo.

I only own one HPI, a Porsche 956. It was 40% more expensive than the Minichamps it replaced, but in those days that was a $16 difference.

the HPI Sauber isn't greasy fingers friendly!!!! haha

Jager

Postby Jager » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42 am

Baxter wrote:Spark would make them different (assuming they knew). It's one of the things that puts them above the majority and also makes them more expensive than the majority.

Your right Baxter, but I think the difference is Spark's are made of resin which more easily allows for small changes to the mould, while the HPI's are diecast and therefore much more expensive to re-tool for a small change.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

PolishMofoBMW92

Postby PolishMofoBMW92 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:23 am

It's about this car above. So to me HPI made the best model in my opinion due to detail and little bit lowered suspension to give it even more aggressive look.

Anyway this is the very very first version of GT-R back from 2009. As you can see on the picture, seats got a red trim finish. That means to me it's the "Black Edition" however it doesn't say anywhere in description. HPI tend to fully discribe versions of their models. Also as far I am aware, in black edition samples rear wings weren't painted in colour of the car. In this one is.

Return to “Manufacturer Miscues”