DECALS and re-doing cars

BTCC, WTCC, DTM etc
tator2001uk

DECALS and re-doing cars

Post by tator2001uk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:03 am

Hi Guys

Found myself some transfer paper and thought what now

If I want to create my own design on a 1:43 car, is there a template anywhere for say window visor stickers etc

Are there any templates for cars?

Thanks

reeft1

Re: DECALS and re-doing cars

Post by reeft1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Not really is the simple answer. I have very limited graphic skills but i normally knock something up in excel/word, and then cut to shape. Trial and error using normal a4 paper first, then once you have everything the right scale, print on the transfer paper.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:47 am

To take templates from the web or anywhere else will be quite difficult, as these are usually "graphics" resp. photos, and if these are minimized to 1/43, only some blurry mash will be left... The better way is to design the desired parts in a graphic program, I always use "inkscape" which is freeware and not so difficult to use.

With simple forms you can imitate your desired parts. Use clear colours (red/yellow/green/blue) and avoid tiniest details, then you get quite nice decals. When printed on decal paper, apply a thin layer (with only ONE move with a wide brush!) clear kote (AlClad etc.) gloss or matte, otherwise the printed surface can be destroyed when cutting out, making wet and applying onto the model.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:05 am

There are plenty of 1:43 decals sheets you can buy. If you find one that has similar shapes to what you need, you could scan it, import it into a graphics program, then edit it to suit your requirements ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

MassaFan

Post by MassaFan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 am

Hi I am drawing decals semi professional and let them print in UV or EcoSolvent technique. Window stickers I do like this. I stick a masking tape on the window I need the sticker of then I draw the outlines with a very thin marker then relocate the masking tape to a piece of paper. I take a picture or scan this paper and import the file to CorelDraw (it is what I use) or Inkscape. After that you simply can redraw the shape of what you have drawn on the masking tape. As this grafic is vector now you just simply measure the width of the acutal masking tape form and resize your computer drawing. Done! You can see some on my facebook page rcc race car customes.

tator2001uk

Post by tator2001uk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am

Thank you for the replies. I will do some trial and error and see what happens!