Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

kitefighter

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Post by kitefighter » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am

As the owner of a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, I've been looking for a decent model for ages. For years the only model available in 1/43 scale was the cheap, poorly detailed and rough looking offering from Trofeu. Then a few years ago, two very smart looking models of the 4 cylinder and 2.5 V6 engined versions in resin appeared by WITS, a company I wasn't aware of and so I missed the chance to acquire these.

And that was that. I owned an obscure car, that nobody was going to make a model of. Or so I thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kitefighter

Re: Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Post by kitefighter » Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 am

Then, earlier this year, I wandered into a local model shop (yes, they still exist in England here and there), and saw, sitting in the corner of the showcase, this cracking little model by Ixo. And having been made aware of this model in it's 1987 guise finished in metallic silver/ green, it wasn't too long before I tracked the later, 1990 version in two tone period correct black over silver.

Both models are on offer for a modest price and both have excellent detailing throughout. All comments welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed May 24, 2017 12:18 pm

VERY nice, both of them, but at least in terms of color I would go with the Ixo.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Very nice models! The real car was never a big seller here, nowadays I'd doubt if there are ten left in the country...

dcast

Post by dcast » Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Nice car and models :)
The Galant here had different grille, at least in lower trim levels. I think the VR-4 Galant was called here Dynamic-4 GTi which looks like your beige model. Not sure about the grille though as the car magazine article (Tuulilasi 4/1989) I have here has only rear view of the Galant Dynamic-4. Same issue happens to have 30.000km longevity test of the lower spec Galant 1,8 GLX sedan which has carb engine :)
Here's a pic of a Galant with the usual grille here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 071007.jpg

Galant VR4 / Dynamic-4 is pretty high tech car for it's time. 4 wheel steering + 4 wheel drive in the same car + ABS brakes, fuel injection & catalytic converter when most cars here still had carburators without catalytic converter.

Hoping myself for LHD Galant model. Only Galant I have so far is the rally version.
Last edited by dcast on Thu May 25, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 pm

I remember test driving a Galant VR-4, but in the end didn't buy it because Mitsubishi's reputation wasn't the best at the time (at least here in Australia). Given the number of V4-R rally model produced, its surprising there have been so few road car models released. These look pretty good.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

AdamYip

Post by AdamYip » Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 pm

I've got both the silver and black Galant and they both looked great. I think the WIT's version looks odd and IXO did a great job on this model. I sure hope to see IXO make an AMG version of the Galant which I saw recently at a used car internet site.

Cheers,
Adam

kitefighter

Post by kitefighter » Thu May 25, 2017 12:06 pm

LUW wrote:VERY nice, both of them, but at least in terms of color I would go with the Ixo.
Sorry, for the mistake. They are both from Ixo.

kitefighter

Post by kitefighter » Thu May 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Tom wrote:Very nice models! The real car was never a big seller here, nowadays I'd doubt if there are ten left in the country...
Mitsubishi are almost a niche Japanese maker. I've owned a Galant GLSi in this shape and it was packed with features and seemed well made.

kitefighter

Post by kitefighter » Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 pm

dcast wrote:Nice car and models :)
The Galant here had different grille, at least in lower trim levels. I think the VR-4 Galant was called here Dynamic-4 GTi which looks like your beige model. Not sure about the grille though as the car magazine article (Tuulilasi 4/1989) I have here has only rear view of the Galant Dynamic-4. Same issue happens to have 30.000km longevity test of the lower spec Galant 1,8 GLX sedan which has carb engine :)
Here's a pic of a Galant with the usual grille here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 071007.jpg

Galant VR4 / Dynamic-4 is pretty high tech car for it's time. 4 wheel steering + 4 wheel drive in the same car + ABS brakes, fuel injection & catalytic converter when most cars here still had carburators without catalytic converter.

Hoping myself for LHD Galant model. Only Galant I have so far is the rally version.
I hadn't heard of the Dynamic-4 but looking on the web, it appears to have a normally aspirated engine, whereas the VR-4 has a turbocharged engine. The VR-4 was a homologation of the rally car, a predecessor of the Lancer Evolution. The technology from the Galant VR-4 was moved on to the Lancer Evolution which was a lighter car.

kitefighter

Post by kitefighter » Thu May 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Jager wrote:I remember test driving a Galant VR-4, but in the end didn't buy it because Mitsubishi's reputation wasn't the best at the time (at least here in Australia). Given the number of V4-R rally model produced, its surprising there have been so few road car models released. These look pretty good.
I wasn't aware of Mitsubishi having a poor reputation but I've owned two Mitsubishi Galants. Both have had niggling faults over the years. But they were still great cars.

kitefighter

Post by kitefighter » Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 pm

AdamYip wrote:I've got both the silver and black Galant and they both looked great. I think the WIT's version looks odd and IXO did a great job on this model. I sure hope to see IXO make an AMG version of the Galant which I saw recently at a used car internet site.

Cheers,
Adam
I agree with you with regards to the WIT'S version. Kudos for Ixo for making a better model, in diecast and for a lot less money.