Ixo × MC: a 956 case study

LUW

Ixo × MC: a 956 case study

Post by LUW » Sun May 14, 2017 1:22 pm

With a few more models in the garage, I finally have the chance to make a comparo between two very similar models, from different manufacturers. They’re not the exact same car, but they’re so alike that I think it’s possible to have a good idea about the general quality level of the manufacturers.

The model on the left is a 956 (#12) by Minichamps, while on the right is a 956B (#7) from Ixo.

At first, I thought Ixo’s version was the best one, specifically because of the paint job, that to my eye is a bit crispier, and also because of the wheels, that seem a little better. But when I got both together for these shots, I’ll had to revise my initial assessment. I still think the Ixo has a better paint job and (a little) better wheels, but looking at the air intakes and exhaust, MC comes ahead. Another point to consider is that the windshield wiper is a separate part on the MC, while on the Ixo it’s molded directly on the windshield. I didn’t see an advantage of the MC there because it’s finely molded on the Ixo, to the point (at least at a distance) that it looks almost better. And as you see from the last pic, there’s also a good difference in weight.

Sooooo, which one is better? Putting them side by side, I’ll have to go with the obvious one - Minichamps. But just because of the better detail level on air intakes specially. However, if you factor in price, than my answer could be different, because at least down here the Minichamps is almost 60% more expensive than the Ixo model. Bottom line is that the cheaper model is pretty darn good, and the more expensive one is only a bit more detailed. Which one is the best? I guess that will depend on how high this car is on your grail scale. But then, if it’s a true grail car, perhaps you need to invest more serious money for a true high-end version :roll:. But since there are seven 956/956B in Newman livery that raced at LM, there's a lot to choose from.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Makalu

Re: Ixo × MC: a 956 case study

Post by Makalu » Sun May 14, 2017 3:15 pm

The Minichamps looks that bit more refined

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun May 14, 2017 3:28 pm

MC has much better defined panel lines.

Nice comparison!

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun May 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Tom wrote:MC has much better defined panel lines.

Nice comparison!
Exactly this....the panel lines are virtually non existant on the Ixo . Between those 2 then the MC isthe clear winner for me even though I had the Ixo Altaya version.
Even my Quartzo 956`s had better defined panel lines as seen on my Kenwood car.

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun May 14, 2017 8:00 pm

LUW wrote:I still think the Ixo has........(a little) better wheels,
Good comparison Luc. The one thing that surprised me was the huge weight difference.

With respect to the wheels, I think its helpful to also compare the models to a reference photo. To my eye, the front wheel covers on the IXO are the wrong shape and the Minichamps is a more accurate representation.That's 1-0 in Minichamps favour :

I also find the rear wheels of the Minichamps much more accurate with their PE BBR wires and separate wheel nut giving the wheels a more realistic 3d effect. The IXO loses marks for the lack of a separate wheel nut and only using a decal for the BBR wires.....Quartzo were doing that 20 years ago but modelling techniques have moved on since then. 2- 0 to Minichamps for me.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Mon May 15, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks for the comparison! I agree with most comments posted before. The tires on the IXO look a little fatter, especially on the rear, but difficult to judge from the pictures which is closer to reality. At least the IXO has tire markings. Should not be too difficult to fix on the minichamps though.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 15, 2017 4:40 am

911RSR wrote:At least the IXO has tire markings. Should not be too difficult to fix on the minichamps though.
Remember that these are two different cars from two different years. It appears the '83 car on which the Minichamps is based never had Dunlop markings on the tyres :

Minichamps did put tyre markings on their '84 winner.

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Mon May 15, 2017 5:05 am

Jager wrote:Remember that these are two different cars from two different years. It appears the '83 car on which the Minichamps is based never had Dunlop markings on the tyres
I hardly dare to doubt your knowledge and in fact your were right that I did not pay attention to this while making this judgement. However I also found this picture (from here) which might suggest that never is maybe a too strong claim as well?

Anyway, indeed not a mistake if the car also appeared without tire markings and probably the only correct way if you want to model the car after how it started the race.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 15, 2017 5:37 am

I agree your right....those tyres definitely look like they had markings.

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon May 15, 2017 6:37 am

Well, Ian's pic kills the notion that the Ixo has the nicer wheels :?. Even though the MC is the better model, the Ixo is a nice one. for the money
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

jna

Post by jna » Sat May 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Ian, I wonder if your fisheye lens picture of #12 was not actually taken during the race but in the course of one of the qualifying sessions on Wednesday or Thursday.

Firstly, the stance of crew members from both the New Man car and the other Joest car (Marlboro sponsored) on the left doesn’t suggest to me that there was any urgency about their tasks, if they in fact actually had one – see Marlboro man to the left of the open door.

Secondly, Bob Wollek’s name appears on #12 as a fourth driver. He would have been the team’s lead driver at the time as he was heading the WSC drivers’ points table so was most likely responsible for assisting the set-up of both cars. The website where I guess your picture came from also has a race picture of #12 (copied from the Grand Prix International magazine) and taken from a high enough vantage point to show that Wollek’s name had been peeled off. He of course drove the #8 Marlboro car with Johansson and Ludwig, the car that was the subject of the excellent two-car release via Cartima showing how it looked at the start and how it looked at the finish.

What I’m thinking is that the tyre shown in your picture may therefore be either a used tyre for warm–up, or from any old set put on simply to push the car to the grid from the paddock. In other words, the Dunlop logo may not be applied to them or worn and not visible. Also, the car’s very clean. Not a dead fly in sight.

All pictures I’ve seen of the car during the race show the Dunlop logo. If a PMA fan suggests they have issued the car as seen during qualifying then where is Wollek’s name on the model?

I have both the PMA and the Quartzo versions of the #12 car. I don’t think I can show pictures yet (too few posts) but if I could you would note that the wheels and wheel covers on the Quartzo model resemble those on the IXO, but don’t forget the Quartzo is perhaps twenty years older. The decals for the BBR wires can peel over time.

I still prefer the Quartzo - just, even though the wheels are a weak point. Its shape is good, the panel lines are evident, there is yellow tape across the headlights and, bearing in mind the age of the Quartzo, the mould is designed to detail the refuelling points. PMA to the very last persisted in using decals on all 956 models.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat May 20, 2017 2:13 pm

jna, I would like very much to see photos of the MC side by side the Quartzo. I don't have any models from Quartzo yet, so it would be interesting to see how the brand compares to MC. You can post pics, as long as you host them in a offsite picture host site, like Photobucket.
Image The Garage